WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CT Maps & Databook or just Databook?

I know it was briefly discussed in a thread earlier last year (Erik The Black's or CT Databook) but how many of you hiked the trail with just the databook? I have the new version which includes the Collegiate West route. I also have the CT Map book but was originally planning on only using that for planning and only bringing the databook. Would that be sufficient? For those that did bring the maps (specifically the CT maps) what did you find to be the best way to store them in your pack?

Thanks.

Images

I carry only the little CT guide, 1.9 ounces, and I store the maps in my phone as Jpegs, in case I need a visual reference. I also have waypoints loaded into a little 1.7 ounce GPS (Foretrex 401), so I'm redundant.

There are about 23 miles of new trail in the Collegiate West which were opened this year. This is shown in the Mapbook but nowhere else- the Databook and the Guide Book are outdated. The new part is from Texas Creek to Tincup Road and is spectacular so make sure you don't miss it. New Data and Guidebooks are being created, but won't be out in time for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    There are about 23 miles of new trail in the Collegiate West which were opened this year. This is shown in the Mapbook but nowhere else- the Databook and the Guide Book are outdated. The new part is from Texas Creek to Tincup Road and is spectacular so make sure you don't miss it. New Data and Guidebooks are being created, but won't be out in time for this year.
    Would you recommend just carrying maps for this section or for the entire trail?

Thanks for the help!

Last summer I carried just Erik's little guidebook and did okay, except I tend to daydream when hiking and went the wrong way several times, which I soon realized and went back to the trail. The CT is not as well blazed as I'd been led to believe; there are quite a few miles-long sections with no markers, and many intersecting trails. Prompted by the impassioned urging of some northbound CDT hikers I ended up taking the spectacular new College West alternate route, which I highly recommend. For some reason nearly everyone I met on the trail took the Collegiate East route, which by all accounts is not nearly as beautiful. I hardly saw anyone on the new route but luckily kept running into one guy who let me peek at his map. I hope Erik updates his book.

As bearcreek says, the 2014 reroutes of the Collegiate West are NOT in the databook, 5th edition. Although the databook covers the Collegiate west, it covers the older route before the new reroutes. Whatever you do, don't miss the rerouted sections! They were my favorite parts of the entire Colorado Trail!

I had the map book but the 2013 edition so I didn't have the maps required for the rerouted sections. I purchased a map from Latitude 40 that covered the new trail and was pleased with that solution for the collegiate west. The official map book is very nice but is much more of a "corridor" approach than the Latitude 40 maps. I tend to use maps more for identifying landmarks and the CT is well marked almost everywhere, so the broader view of the Latitude 40 map was fine for me.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

I really like maps for the CT hike. They give an overview of where you are, and what's ahead (elevation, climb/descend, exposure, features, water, camping possibilities, etc).

The CT Mapbook is very well done, and it would be my first choice. I de-spiraled my book, and took the pages I needed at each resupply. I folded the sheets in thirds, and kept the ones I needed for the day in a front pack or pocket. As Coffee says, the CT Mapbook tends to show only the corridor due to the scale used; for this reason I also carried copies from a course-scale map so I could see surrounding peaks, escape routes, etc.

The Latitude 40 maps could also be a good alternative. They're less detailed, but they do show more of the surrounding area.

Images

I had the Data book, my hiking partner had Erick the Blacks book - They have different 'stuff' in them. Erik had better maps, Data book had more data points. If I had to choose one, it would be Eriks. We also had the Latitude 40 map for the collegiate west section. These maps are the best. they showed all the new trail and are just all around fantastic maps. Just pick up the one for the new sections - collegiate west area. You'll be fine without maps for the rest of the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I tend to use maps more for identifying landmarks and the CT is well marked almost everywhere, so the broader view of the Latitude 40 map was fine for me.
    I also like the broader view, really don't see much if any need for super details in these maps (like the 24K detail TOPO's), here's an example of a Jpeg that I made from TOPO (and waypoint file) that I carry on my phone of section 14 along with the CW alternate route (as all have said, much more scenic that the CT in these parts).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Has anyone used the new CT app for Collegiate West?

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Walking View Post
    Has anyone used the new CT app for Collegiate West?
    I used the Colorado Trail Hiker app. Worked great for the entire trail including the Collegiate West with the reroutes. I didn't use it constantly but I did consult the app a few times at ambiguous points to confirm my intended direction which was nice to have.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I had the Data book, my hiking partner had Erick the Blacks book - They have different 'stuff' in them. Erik had better maps, Data book had more data points. If I had to choose one, it would be Eriks. We also had the Latitude 40 map for the collegiate west section. These maps are the best. they showed all the new trail and are just all around fantastic maps. Just pick up the one for the new sections - collegiate west area. You'll be fine without maps for the rest of the trail.
    I agree. We had both the Data book and Eriks and found them to complement each other. Don't miss the Collegiate West section.

Thanks for the help everyone. I definitely have my heart set on the Collegiate West section. I'll be picking up the Latitude 40 map for this section as well.

shameless post, but I have a CT planning package FS here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...etc?highlight=

databook, erik the black's book, latitude 40 CW map, CTA CW mapbook....

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    shameless post, but I have a CT planning package FS here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...etc?highlight=

databook, erik the black's book, latitude 40 CW map, CTA CW mapbook....
    I already have the databook and mapbook. Thanks though!

I plan on doing the Collegiate east/west loop this summer/fall. Not sure what reference I will use for the west yet. But, when/if Erik the Black comes out with CT Atlas 2nd edition, I will definitely purchase it. His book was the only resource that I used to plan and hike the trail.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Just be aware that the CT was built by, and is maintained by a non-profit organization. Every penny raised on the official books goes back into the trail. Every penny raised by the others goes into their pockets.

Just be aware that the CT was built by, and is maintained by a non-profit organization. Every penny raised on the official books goes back into the trail. Every penny raised by the others goes into their pockets.
    There's no problem with capitalism but this is one of the reasons I'm using the guidebook and databook to plan my hike. I appreciate everyone's feedback, this website has been instrumental in planning my journey!

For the record, just because a person purchases a for profit product doesn't mean they do not support, financially or otherwise, any given trail. And, I've found that competition is good for all involved. Look at the change to the AT Companion recently as proof of that.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Just a heads-up to anyone wanting to do the 160-mile Collegiate Loop. Monarch Mountain Lodge will allow you to park your car in their lot for $5/day, if you decide to start your loop at Monarch Pass. I don't know if you can get them to shuttle you to the trailhead, though. If not, you'd have to hitch up to the pass, which I believe is about five miles.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++