WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thumbs up MY UL STOVE SOLUTION (NOT alky)

I have a Trail Designs Sidewinder ti stove and 3 cup anodized aluminum pot & lid.

Using ESBIT fuel tabs and a Brian Green modified tablet holder I now have a very efficient stove.

PROS:
    >As most here know by now, alcohol stoves are not weight efficient beyond 3 days compared to canister fuel. ESBIT however, WITH the Brian Green tab holder, becomes much more weight-to-BTU efficient. The Brian Green mod almost doubles the burn time of an ESBIT tab by saving the liquid residue for burning.

>In a pinch wood burns nicely in the Sidewinder, even without the Inferno gassifier burner insert.

>The 3 cup Open Country anodized aluminum pot is:
    1. lighter than a ti pot
    2. width-to-height ratio more thermally efficient than a taller, narrower mug type pot
    3. dissipates heat FAR better than ti (i.e. no hot spots)
    4. 1/3 the price of a similar ti pot & lid

>The Caldera Cone Sidewinder stove is the most efficient yet for both alcohol and ESBIT fuel.

CONS:
    >ESBIT tabs have a fishy odor and must be kept in an aluminum foil lined coffee bag
    >ESBIT leaves a dark brown oily film on the cook pot (easily wiped away with Bonners & 3M pad W/water)
    >ESBIT not always available in camping stores
    >not as pretty as an alky flame ;o) (but a bit hotter)

But until solid rocket fuel is "de-tuned" to work in a stove I'll stick with ESBIT as a fuel for week-long trips.

Journal Entries

What liquid residue for burning is there

Esbit is proven and works well. I think a lot of people like an alcohol stove for the ease of resupply on the trail. You can find esbit and canisters. But I think alcohol is pretty much everywhere.

It's also less messy and you never have half burnt esbit tabs.

I have a CC ti-tri too. With the inferno insert. Love it!

Starchild,
    ESBIT gives off a liquid that will drip out of many tablet holders. The Brian Green holder keeps it in so it can burn, greatly extending the burn time.

fastfox,
    Yep, the Inferno gassier insert burns HOTTT! Love that stove for winter and melting snow.

Images

This little sliding top container works well with esbit. Prevents melted liquid esbit being lost while burning. Sliding top allows for simmering, fits under Caldera Cones. I'm going to make these available by the end of this coming week.

This a photobucket video click on the photo to view:

++ New Posts ++