WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default VT and NH in late June/early July

I am getting close to finishing the AT after 3 summers of section hiking. This year my teaching schedule affords me 26 June-13 August to complete VT, NH, ME. (I have already hiked about 80 miles of ME, and don't plan to repeat those miles....)
    Here is my question: I know there will be mud in Vermont. What will the black fly situation be like?
    I'd appreciate advice-and am fine with completing in 2016 if I can't make the miles.

Vt mud should have mostly dried up by late June. The black flies may be around but not that bad although the mosquitoes will be visiting in the late afternoon early evening. Unfortunately, you really don't have time to do it all in roughly 6 weeks. I would suggest shooting for Grafton Notch just north of the Me NH line and taking your time and enjoying the trip. That will leave you 3 weeks of hiking in Maine in 2016.

Thanks peakbagger. I am more likely to try to enjoy than push and get injured.

Whether it is black fly or mosquito season you can't go wrong by packing a head net that time of year. Nothing to carry, but your only hope for sanity if they get thick.

Gotcha LoneStranger. I have one, but have not had to use it yet. Will pack it for sure.

there will be mosquitoes and black flies a plenty in Vermont in June even late June. Also.. there will be mud. Just plan on it. Bring head net and lots of bug dope.

I am also a teacher/section hiker. I did Vt/Nh and pulled out in Andover ME last year. Went from 6/29 to 7/18. Mud was manageable and flies non-existant. Did have a net just in case but never even thought about using it. Great time to go, at least in my experience, but take a warmer bag than usual. Took my 20-degree instead of my 40 cause of the Whites and was glad I did.

Journal Entries
    Images

And the Whites are so hard; where a ten mile day is good! Southern Pines, you're not faraway. Good luck, the views will be awesome.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

It's one of those could go either way kinda thing. Last year was a low snow season and a relatively dry spring. This year looks to be a heavy snow year which means a fairly rainy spring is likely. If that happens, the season would be pushed back a good couple of weeks, making late June seem like early June and May more like April.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 02-04-2015 at 01:33.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

You will have a great time and share it with the early NOBO thruhikers.

There appears to be a number of thruhikers starting May 2nd in Harpers Ferry this year. It will be interesting to see how this changes the number of hikers in New England in late June and July.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Hey HighLiner,
    Yep, in the AT world, we're almost neighbors!

pafarmboy-Thanks for the sleeping bag suggestion-I love my20 degree bag, and will bring it for warmth. I've heard that many hikers retrieve warmer weather clothing too before the whites. Would you recommend that?

I did take a fleece hat, liner gloves, and a down jacket. All 3 added about a pound to my usual weight. Never carried those on any other summer AT section. Worn the hat and jacket around camp a few times, never worn them on the trail except for Mt Washington. It was bout 40 degrees with howling wind/fog when summited there, but lucked out and had great weather through most of the Whites. At this point, you've got your gear dialed in however you won't regret taking an extra pound or so of clothing even if you only use it once or twice.

Oh...stop at (post#10) Jeff's place too. One of the best hostels on the AT. Probably THE best for "niceness compared to price" ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    pafarmboy-Thanks for the sleeping bag suggestion-I love my20 degree bag, and will bring it for warmth. I've heard that many hikers retrieve warmer weather clothing too before the whites. Would you recommend that?
    Yes. I have seen sleet on top of Washington in the summer. You will be above treeline and it can be very cold and windy there even in the middle of summer. Nights in the whites get very cool and if it's rainy, it gets down right frigid.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

++ New Posts ++