WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Section Hiker

Default GSMNP shelters and hammocks--what did you do?

Continuing my section hiking nobo this year (early-mid June) and planning Winding Stair Gap to Erwin (includes GSMNP). I should be all excited, the Smokies are beautiful, right?. But I'm not--I'm just cursing the required use of shelters. While I do plan to qualify for a thru-hiker's permit and hope every shelter will be full when I get there, what the heck do you do if your a hammock camper and you're stuck in the (#@$!%) shelter? I can't imagine carrying a sleeping pad in addition to everything else. I can't slepe on the ground/floor (hence, the hammock) and I really, really hate shelter mice.

What are other hammockers doing through the Smokies?

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries
    Images

Take a pad with you or plan to tough it out in the Smokies. The only other option is to mail a tent to yourself to Fontana Village then mail it home at Standing Bear. From what I understand no hanging in or around the shelters.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I am a tent sleeper. I know the feeling. Although I have spent a few nights in shelters (3-4), I am not a huge fan. However, for the Smokies, I will have to suck it up. Shelters with mice it is. Although, truth be told, I have never had a single mouse in a tent with me. I know because I am usually awake until 3 am on the trail. Can't sleep there.

Even though I am going slow through the smokies, it is only 4 nights in shelters. Hopefully it wont be to bad and my lucky streak with mice continues.

Section Hiker

AO, I was the same in a tent--couldn't sleep much at all! You might want to try a hammock--world of difference. I stayed in Low Gap and Tray shelters and had no mouse troubles at all--couldn't understand what people were complaining about. Next trip in Standing Indian Shelter, though, they were ruthless. Running all over us all night, chewing up my stuff, pooping on my stuff. I'm not afraid of mice themselves, they're cute, really, but it was just gross and annoying.

I didn't see anything that you can't hang; just you can only hang/tent if the shelter is full (and you're on a thru hike permit). If anyone has solid info on that let me know. Although, for the record, if it's true that rule is totally asinine and backwards...

Thanks for the replies!

"

Images

Why is it "asinine and backwards"?

and there is a rule---search the smokies website or this website as its been covered before....

or wait til hookoodu posts it (im using phone right now and can't post it)...

Images

from the website........

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...untry-regs.htm

8. Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.

Images

Ha...

that was going to be my other suggestion---if ya don't wanna abide by the rules and stay in a shelter----just do it as one push...

should have trail legs by then......

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    from the website........

8. Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.
    I have tried to find the backcountry campgrounds and cannot find a map or locations. Do you know where to find them?

from the website........

Does this mean they can't be used between two trees close to a shelter but not attached--when the shelter is full that is??

Images

Do you know where to find them?

on their website...............

on their website...............
    Can you be more specific. As I stated I looked but could not find them

Images

put "smokies maps" into google and away ya go.............

most of the backcountry sites are 3 plus miles from the AT.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

I did GSMNP last April, every shelter was full every night, plus the rangers were ok, I saw people hanging most nights.

I did the GSMNP last April also and did not spend a night in the shelters. The first night there I did put my gear on the bottom sleeping area and someone came in later and moved it over a space. I packed everything up and set up my hammock outside. I never went into another one while on the GSMNP after that.

I can only imagine that May, June and possibly July the shelters will be full.

I don't like the shelters. To crowded, full of mice and too much noise.

Section Hiker

TN, if you don't have something helpful to add please get off my thread. He said hammocks are NOT allowed "around" the shelters and I have heard other people say that as well. They are, and yes, I already know camping of any kind is only allowed at the campsites and shelters.

"

Section Hiker

And I never suggested I would not follow the rules. Way to be judgmental.

To everyone else, thank you for the helpful posts and information.

"

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    I didn't see anything that you can't hang; just you can only hang/tent if the shelter is full (and you're on a thru hike permit). If anyone has solid info on that let me know. Although, for the record, if it's true that rule is totally asinine and backwards...
    Why is it "asinine and backwards"?

and there is a rule---search the smokies website or this website as its been covered before....

or wait til hookoodu posts it (im using phone right now and can't post it)...
    There are rules about hammocks in GSMNP.

First of all, hammocks are treated like tents. So basically any rule that applies to tents applies to hammocks.
    So that means you can only hammock at designated camp sites (stealth camping is illegal in GSMNP).
    At shelters, that means you can only hang a hammock IF you possess an AT Thru Hiker permit AND the shelter is full.
    Other rules include that you can not hang a hammock from any part of a structure or shelter, and that straps must be sized to protect trees from damage.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    I have tried to find the backcountry campgrounds and cannot find a map or locations. Do you know where to find them?
    Set of GSMNP maps: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm
    Specifically the Trail Map (PDF): http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...omplete4-2.pdf

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++