WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Umbrellas

Default Umbrellas

I'm considering testing the umbrella strategy. I'm pretty happy with my setup (Gossamer Gear Gorilla, HMG Cuben Tarp, etc.), but its time for the rain gear to be upgraded. I've been carrying a pretty heavy rain jacket. I'd like to try out hiking with an umbrella because I hate sweating so much in a rain jacket. I feel like the other benefits of an umbrella are nice for the weight too. One major concern I have is that my main jacket for warmth is down, so obviously it can't get wet. Should I pair the umbrella with a lighter rain jacket? What are your thoughts on umbrellas?

I've been thinking of going a similar route, although for slightly different reasons. I'm considering buying the new Sierra Designs Cagoule and using it on my thru this year. Problem is that I don't think I'll have the opportunity to test it prior to my departure due to some real world obligations I have this next month. If I do go this route my plan would be to start off with an umbrella to use in the event the new jacket turns out to be a complete or even partial failure. In this event I would have some sort of supplementing piece of gear in order to get me by until my regular jacket can arrive in a mail drop. If it turns out to be a win then I'll just send the umbrella home after a few weeks.

In your case I'd say to bring a lite rain jacket, or even something with just a good DWR. Understand though that there will be sections of trail in which an umbrella is not practical in the least. Pretty much everyone I know who has used an umbrella for any considerable distance either loves it or absolutely despises it, there doesn't seem much in-between. I've also heard they are generally more useful on western trails.

Thanks Frye. I've noticed they are used more out west too. Good luck on the thru this year!

Journal Entries

A rain jacket is great. However, there are considerations to using an umbrella. One is that you need to use both hands sometimes, especially when going up or down a hill. After some time you get tired of carrying it, too. Also, if using hiking poles you would have to put one away while using the umbrella. There is an advantage. You hold it above when you go into your pack when it's coming down. That way nothing is exposed to the weather.

Thanks NY Hiker. I have a Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack and I think I'd try to rig something to attach the umbrella to my pack so I don't have to carry it. I do have trekking poles, but mainly to set up my tarp. I use them because I have them, really. Sometimes they're on the pack too.

Images

There was an umbrella thread about two weeks ago. It provided some good info and links. (Yes, searching this site is painful using the "search" box but if you use Google with "site:whiteblaze.net" as part of your search query it makes searching pretty easy.)

To answer some of the questions, there are ways of "hands-free" umbrella setup:

http://ramblinghemlock.blogspot.com/...a-rigging.html

This setup was used by Wired on her 2014 AT Thru Hike:

http://www.walkingwithwired.com/2014...ure-aters.html
    Last edited by SteelCut; 02-09-2015 at 11:42. Reason: Added link to Wired's info
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

IMO--umbrellas suck for the AT. I have not tried one but my buddy did and it only lasted about 3 weeks opn the AT and he was tired of it. Out west is another story--very practical especially for sun protection.

Just as a cautionary comment. Umbrellas can be handy, effective in nuisance rain as an example, but do have some limitations. Wind being one of them, brush near the trail can snag and tear them, etc. The other more critical disadvantage is they don't provide any warmth.

The primary purpose of rain gear is to help keep you warm so hypothermia risk is as low as possible. Some rain gear is more venting or allows inner moisture to pass, some isn't. However, if there is a choice, I would opt for the rain gear over the umbrella with this in mind. Even when its 80 degrees out, a summer storm can lower temperatures well inside hypothermic range (ask anyone involved in mountain SAR work).

I have always used a rain jacket and looking to upgrade soon but have never considered a umbrella. I don't feel they keep me as dry and protected as a jacket in everyday life. I feel like if you hate the sweating and want to go super light it could be a viable option.

I would consider an umbrella a luxury item.
    In the mountains you need some sort of rainwear for retention of heat and resistance from wind.
    I like my umbrella. I bought it for cycle touring and cannot image touring without it.
    Having a little shade while taking a break on the side of the road (no trees) is worth the weight.

I have never backpacked with my umbrella.
    As long weekend warrior with the flexibility of picking good weather for my hikes.
    Due to my experience using them while touring I would have no issues taking one on an extended hike. Keeping rain or sun off your face while taking a break is very morally uplifting.

Some love it, some hate it.

The worse case is you don't like hiking with it.
    If you don't like it, did not use it, don't take it next time or send it home.

I am bringing an umbrella in addition to a rain shell for the beginning of my hike. Check out Francis Tapon's site. He completed a sobo thru with an umbrella. It has many applications, a true multipurpose item. http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advi...th-an-Umbrella
    "Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush beside you are not lost."

I just tried out using an umbrella on a five day hike a couple of weeks ago where it rained three out of the five days. I love it. I have an ultra. light windbreaker that I wore as well to protect me from the wind and to keep in some body heat. None of the rain jackets I've had have ever kept me dry, and being wet is what really makes me cold. The umbrella kept my core completely dry. My elbow got a little bit of precipitation on it as well as the very bottom part of my pant legs, but nothing that bothered me. I figured out how to keep the umbrella in place hands free using my sternum strap, the hand loop on the umbrella and my water bottle holders on the front of my pack (not that it really mattered since I only use one trekking pole). There were quite a few hikers I met who were jealous of my umbrella. When I stopped to eat lunch I was able to keep me and the inside of my pack dry. The bottom of my pack got a little bit wet, but the umbrella protected most of it. I absolutely hated hiking in the rain until I tried out an umbrella, now I don't mind it at all. The best part is the umbrella only weights 8 oz, costs $40 bucks and I can not only use it for rain protection but also sun protection. It is a bit of a pain when it's really windy out. I had to keep repositioning it to make sure it didn't blow inside out.

"My elbow got a little bit of precipitation on it as well as the very bottom part of my pant legs, but nothing that bothered me.
    It is a bit of a pain when it's really windy out.I had to keep repositioning it to make sure it didn't blow inside out"Somehow those two sentences sound contradictory to me.
    I can't see how you would get only the very bottom of your trousers wet in wind driven rain...

I have never tried wearing an umbrella in a laundromat while I wash all my clothes.

I suspect that it would not end well.

Frogg Toggs, on the other hand, suffice for the task.

I meant something like this :

I decided against an umbrella. Are Frogg Toggs okay except for tear easily situation. Easy to replace at Walmart.

We carried one for about 300 miles and really only used it once at a road crossing in a downpour, we shielded the data book while we looked up a phone number. A real waste of space in my opinion, others my have a better take on the matter.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

I have carried an umbrella for 2000 miles on th AT. I rigged hands free to my shoulder strap with 2 hunks of round elastic and 2 toggles per strap. Which shoulder depends on wind direction. In heavy rain add a cuben rain jacket put on backwards over the packstraps and a cuben rainskirt. total weight with Montbell trekking umbrella 13 oz. Colder weather put jacket on the normal way.

Journal Entries

I also used an umbrella (actually 3, as l lost two). I also carry Mountain Hardware rain jacket. I used a bivy and the umbrella is also part of my camping gear. For hiking it's invaluable as I find it impossible to hike with a rain jacket and stay dry due to condensation. Around camp it's nice, many offered to buy it. My rain gear consists of:
    Foldable hat
    Rain jacket (useful for laundry day)Rain pants (useful for laundry day)
    Low cut canisters
    Gortex trailrunners
    Dripdry (synthetic) Shorts, shirt & underwear

If it wasn't cold, I just didn't worry about the rain as my clothing was dry about an hour after it quit raining. If it was storming I'd use the umbrella. If I was in camp I'd use the rainpants and/or jacket and the umbrella.

Journal Entries

Low cut gaiters not canisters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++