Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I go without quite a bit when it's hot, and I've never had any "nipple chafing". Try it, and see how it works for you.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Generally when this comes up- a big b/small c seems to be the general consensus on when to call in for support.

The nipple issue is unisex- mainly a symptom of-
    A- carrying something in a shirt pocket, causing the shirt fabric to bounce with each step.
    B- Your pack straps ending up next to your nipples.

Plenty of smaller bust women go sans-bra climbing, running, and hiking. Depending on your pack fit- you'll get a bit of help from the sternum strap if you wear it gentleman style rather than above the boobs as many women do. Course if your boobs ain't big, they ain't in the way and you'll likely wear your sternum strap lower than a larger busted mile buster.

That said- in hot weather it might be nice to have a sport bra or swim suit top that you are comfy hiking in to keep cool. Gents go shirtless, and often pay the chaffing consequences previously mentioned, but this is seldom an issue with at least one layer of clothing.

Cami idea is good. So is a Merino tank top. Some gals go with those cute (tight cut) cotton/poly/lycra stretchy t-shirts too to stay cool and still protect shoulders from the pack straps. I've seen them cut off often enough to call it a good idea.

Last time this came up- I mentioned the gal who bought a Cap 1 style top one size too small. she cut off the bottom few inches, flipped it up to double it over her bust and had a decent little half shirt with a built in tube top which worked for her.

in decent weather a men's style button up shirt is a good option for sun and bug protection. As a side bonus- the front pockets typically will address nipple modesty concerns you may have, especially if they are of the typical outdoorsy shirt style and a bit loose and floppy (as opposed to a dress shirt cut for style not for storage.)

And of course you could always join this group- https://www.facebook.com/mtnbabes

OH- forgot about the Buff girls.
    Some small frame gals can get away with a buff, or home made spandex tube top.
    Lotta climber chicas used to rock that look.

Nipple chaffing is real and it hurts. It can make them bleed. The answer to this problem if you are not wearing a bra is Bodyglide. It helps many runners.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I say go for it. I only wish I could go bra less maybe I should start a gofundme for breast reduction since my insurance won't pay for it.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Do what you're comfortable with and tell the creepy guys where to get off. check out topless.org if you care to. New York is a topless state.

Images

I never wear a bra with a pack, the straps chafe. My hiking shirt is camo to protect modesty. I carry 1 sports bra (black) for use as a swimsuit and in town coupled with black shorts. The S strap design of my pack eliminates bounce. Comfort is key!

Oooh, oooh, I actually can help here! I actually have hiked without a bra, as I usually hike with a very thin but comfortable and light sports bra, I didn't think it would be a problem. (Long story, it had been raining, I was soaked, only brought one bra, I thought it would be more comfortable to hike in no bra vs wet bra while it dried.) Yeah, I'm not doing that again. Ever. Nipple chafing is real, my friend! Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

To explain, my light day pack that I use for smaller hikes has a cross strap that goes right across the nipples. It was never a problem until then.

Yoga top with wide shoulder straps so my pack doesn't rub my arms and it has a built in shelf bra. Super comfy, wicking and moves with your body. These are generally longer than Cami's and are my go to tops for warmer weather. Give it a try, you might like it too

I wish I had gone without! Pack straps rubbing bra straps, for one reason! Consider if it will make you uncomfortable going braless in camp?(flashing your headlights at the guys?) And there is nothing worse than putting on a still damp freezing cold bra on those chilly mornings! I have yet to find a "hiking bra" with wide smooth seamless straps!

I was always small enough to go braless, but for some reason mother nature decided I needed to sprout DDs in my late 30's. so I hike in Bralettes. One just a bit too small so it straps them down good. I am not used to, nor do I like jiggle But regular or sports bras just feel like too much. If you can go without, do it!

If you want nipple chaffing try an accordion bellows going back and forth across your chest for a few hours.
    Do what you want to be comfortable with, push the edge a bit. Personally I think toppless should be okay, Most men are not going to bother you.

I used to go braless when I was hiking in areas where there weren't many people. I was too self-conscious to do it on a busy trail like the AT, though probably few would have thought much if I had gone braless. I stopped when I noticed that in photos it was quite obvious that I wasn't wearing a bra. Gravity does bad things when you get middle aged.

I hiked braless recently when I was having back issues that my bra was only adding to. As a not-so-endowed lady, it was totally comfortable and chafing wasn't even close to a problem (i think that probably depends more on your shirt choice than anything). I love the idea of the buff if chafing is more of a concern!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++