Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking Without a Bra

So this might be completely weird however, follow my thought process:

I am rather flat chested so I don't require much support. Hiking is rather freeing and let's face it- not wearing a bra is more comfortable than wearing one. Instead of investing in a new moisture wicking sports bra, I was thinking of going without one. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMI, katie. Wear, or don't wear, whatever you like. Bring, or don't bring, whatever you like. If it doesn't work out, try something different. I happen to be female, but I can almost guarantee that more guys will respond to this than gals.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    TMI, katie. Wear, or don't wear, whatever you like. Bring, or don't bring, whatever you like. If it doesn't work out, try something different. I happen to be female, but I can almost guarantee that more guys will respond to this than gals.
    Since I am a GUY I cant respond to the OP but I will respond to tiptoe. Your answer can be given for any gear/clothing question on here. It was not helpful and honestly was rude to someone who is new to our community. I hope some ladies chime in to answer katie's question which is valid.

One word, nipple chafing - gender neutral...happens...it ain't no fun.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smoothsailin View Post
    One word, nipple chafing - gender neutral...happens...it ain't no fun.
    Hold on a second, "nipple chafing" is TWO words! How's anybody supposed to take you seriously if you make a mistake like that? Just kidding, just kidding!
    Katie, I wouldn't dream of hiking without a bra. I don't even want to think about the looks I'd get and the things people would say after passing me on the trail. I need a bra for support, and for modesty. But if I didn't need it, I'd sure consider it. It seems like it would be cooler, and that's always a plus.
    As for nipple chafing, I've never experienced it, and I can't speak for others, but I know my husband doesn't wear a bra on the trail, and I'm 99% sure I've never seen any other guy wearing one. Maybe if you're not used to it, you could bring along a thin bra or an undershirt in case it is an issue.
    And, welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Images

and I'm 99% sure I've never seen any other guy wearing one.

im a guy----and ive never worn a bra..........or had my nipples chafed........

i feel so left out

and welcome to whiteblaze..................

as for the original question----id go for whatever you feel comfortable with...........comfortable for yourself and comfortable about getting weird glances from other hikers who may have a problem with it........

but, as they say, hike your own hike...........

Thanks for the replies. If I felt it would be immodest, I wouldn't have entertained the idea. Just wondering if anyone had ever done it or had any advice, this is the female hiker forum afterall . Can't wait to hit the trail! It's all I think about!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    and I'm 99% sure I've never seen any other guy wearing one. Maybe if you're not used to it, you could bring along a thin bra or an undershirt in case it is an issue.
    And, welcome to WhiteBlaze!
    you won't see me wearing a bra but I have had to bandaid up on several very long mile days. Maybe call it a mini bra?

Katie, I often hike without a bra. It is so much more comfortable without one. For day hikes and in warm weather I wear a dark-colored cami that has a little support. I don't wear a cami on longer hikes as my pack straps chafe the front of my shoulders. You don't want to wear a shirt with a logo at the nipple line as the logo can cause chafing. A plain, solid color is best.

For longer hikes, I wear a dark-colored T shirt. People will tell you to wear light colors so you can spot ticks but I like dark shirts for modesty and for hiding dirt.

In cooler weather, going braless isn't very noticeable as you're usually wearing several layers.

I've seen a few other women hiking without bras and they looked confident and comfortable. Male hikers tend to be very gentlemanly and respectful so I wouldn't worry about rudeness in that regard.

Perfect! Thank you Traffic Jam- that's exactly what I wanted to know!

I wear a cami. They are made for women and girls.

Target has a cami for $6 or $9 in white, black, brown. I have seen sweatshirt grey.

Other stores, like Penny's have cami's.

Cami's are much nicer than t-shirts, made of heavy weight t-shirt material.

Cami's are modest enough to wear with a big shirt unbuttoned, if you like.

Cami's are modest enough to wear alone, if you like mostly bare arms and shoulders. I don't.

Images

If I were your mother (I can't tell your age so please forgive if this is overly patronizing but...) I would tell you to wear a bra. Now if you are my age and asking me this question, I'd say whatever floats your boat. OTOH, if you are the age of my daughters I'd just ask you to think about the fact that you won't necessarily always have the same figure, and going without support doing hard athletic stuff for six months straight might - just might - result in changes that you will not enjoy later on. I would also be a little concerned about what would happen when you are sweating hard or it's raining, you very well could get some odd looks and we will hope it's limited to that. Unless you just can't abide by a bra, I don't think I'd leave one behind. You can get plenty of "barely there" athletic type bras that won't bother you at all!

Jane

I have been "athletic" all my life, mountainclimbing, tennis, horseback riding, backpacking.

I can attest a 36B wearing a "cami" became 45 years later a still "perky" 38C wearing a "cami" - no "cooper's droop" here.

I had nice frilly camisole and matching slip while wearing dresses, as well: I am all female.

I have never had the "wet t-shirt" look wearing a "cami" instead of a bra.
    Last edited by Connie; 02-09-2015 at 20:00.

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    If I were your mother (I can't tell your age so please forgive if this is overly patronizing but...) I would tell you to wear a bra. Now if you are my age and asking me this question, I'd say whatever floats your boat. OTOH, if you are the age of my daughters I'd just ask you to think about the fact that you won't necessarily always have the same figure, and going without support doing hard athletic stuff for six months straight might - just might - result in changes that you will not enjoy later on. I would also be a little concerned about what would happen when you are sweating hard or it's raining, you very well could get some odd looks and we will hope it's limited to that. Unless you just can't abide by a bra, I don't think I'd leave one behind. You can get plenty of "barely there" athletic type bras that won't bother you at all!

Jane
    Jane, you bring up some interesting ideas. I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I find the idea that some men are unable to control themselves in the presence of a braless woman to be somewhat offensive to men. Male and female hikers share very close quarters at times and I have never seen anything except the utmost respect for one another. I would not go into town braless, but hiking braless is not a problem. I also find the concept that a woman must be uncomfortable all of her life so that she remains aesthetically pleasing to be very Victorian.

I have never had someone notice I have a "cami" and not a bra.

I live in town.

In my working life, I resided in San Francisco and New York City.

Seriously I have to explain nipplechaff ( one word, both lowercase ) .... you need one of two ingredients, nipples that are movin a bout or a shirt flapping in the wind against an unprotected nipple.
    Combine these and your in for some real hot points.

Now, if you have stationary nipples and a stationary shirt, then you'll greatly reduce the risk of nipple-chaff ( sometimes hyphenated, both lowercase ).

Remember..only you can prevent nipple chaff. NippleChaff ( one word, two capital letters.. favorite) is a crippling illness that affects millions of hikers and bikers every year. 1 out of every 2 nipples are at risk.
    If you think you might be at risk for nippleChaff ( one word, one upper case, one lowercase) , please go shirtless.

Never liked my 'headlights' showing.......but to each their own. Agree about nipple chafing, too.

I hike braless sometimes! I'm a 34C, and it really just depends on my mood. I'm more apt to wearing a sports bra when it's hot out, rather than cold, because it will help wick away sweat better and I can take off my shirt if I get too hot, or to go swimming. I'm also more prone to NippleChaff (I see you smoothsailin) when it's hot out, what with all the moisture and loose tops. When it's cold out, I have so many layers on that it won't even matter if I wear one or not, aside from comfort. I will admit that I would be a bit self conscious about people peepin'. No, most men won't be eyeballin my tits creepily, if any, but it sure makes me feel uncomfortable to come into contact with the few that do. Women can attest that it happens everywhere, even on the trail, sadly. And when that happens, having that extra layer just kind of feels like a security blanket.
    But as everyone else says, do what makes you feel comfy and forget the haters out there!

for me it is no bra, not at work, not hiking, not ever...I have a type of claustrophobia where I can't stand tight "anything" on my body...I do wear a tank top though for extra coverage when needed.

I have never had "nipple chafe" wearing a cami.

Is this men "commenting" for sensationalism?

Many women wear a cami instead of a bra.

No bra. Never. They bind.

I have even been fitted at a big department store (Macy's, San Francisco) and that bra was as much binding and very much uncomfortable as any other bra.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++