WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I ended up with a different perspective in choosing a tent. With all the shelters available along the AT, I expected to use shelters primarily & my tent occasionally. I ended up w/ the Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus (big $$$$ & super-light). After a rather stormy night in VT, I got a little damp in my tent. I also feared that I might have trouble setting up my tent on platforms as I went further north. So, I got a small 1-man free-standing tent (EMS Velocity-1). As it turned out, I never had to set up my tent on any platforms. For my entire 152 day hike, I only slept in my tent 14 nights (10 in my Hexamid & 4 in my Velocity-1). I only had one occasion where a shelter was full where I had to tent (vs. planned to tent). And that was @ The Birches (Baxter State Park). I liked everything about the Velocity-1 except the weight. Everything is about trade-offs. If I had it to do again, I'd probably use the Hexamid (or similar tent) the entire way.

As the saying goes, 'There's more than one road to Dublin.' People have successfully completed the AT in a multitude of different shelters. It's your personal preference & what you are willing to hump. Just don't go shelter-less (I saw that end badly for a couple one stormy day in ME).
    You are 100% correct. If you enjoy the shelters, then a tent isn't as important on the AT. If you are like me, and hate shelters, then imo the quality of your shelter is very important , and weight would be way down the list if I were to hike AT again:
    1. Rain protection. It's usually raining, having just rained or about to rain on the AT. Floor protection and a high bathtub are most important to me.
    2. Side entry
    3. Space to keep your stuff
    4. Weight although I'd like to keep it at 3lbs Max
    Another factor is the space to set up. Freestanding tents tend to be able to fit in small cut outs on at. There can be some tough places to set up out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Do your own seam seal or get it done by Henry?
    Done by Henry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++