WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

All TarpTents need to be seam sealed. In addition, I use Atsko Silicone Water Guard on the exterior. This makes the tent virtually waterproof. Henry uses this product on his tents.

With/without Atsko

Images

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    All TarpTents need to be seam sealed. In addition, I use Atsko Silicone Water Guard on the exterior. This makes the tent virtually waterproof. Henry uses this product on his tents.

With/without Atsko

No, I don't think he does. The newer silnylon that Tarptent has been using for the past 4-5 years has a hydrostatic head of 3500mm minimum and not the 1200mm to 1500mm that one may have found in years prior. The fabric is already waterproof.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by phourgenres View Post
    Has anyone tested theirs in high rain/windy conditions? Do they have to be silicon sealed (the site doesn't say)?
    Just the seams. It literally takes 20 minutes.

Thanks Family Guy.
    I have already posted similar info (sans waterhead numbers) many times but the issue keeps coming up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Thanks Family Guy.
    I have already posted similar info (sans waterhead numbers) many times but the issue keeps coming up.
    Any time....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    No, I don't think he does. The newer silnylon that Tarptent has been using for the past 4-5 years has a hydrostatic head of 3500mm minimum and not the 1200mm to 1500mm that one may have found in years prior. The fabric is already waterproof.
    You are correct that sil nylon has enhanced waterproofing capability. Sorry, I talked to Henry last year and he confirmed his use of silicone spray. An enhancement, but definitely not necessary.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    You are correct that sil nylon has enhanced waterproofing capability. Sorry, I talked to Henry last year and he confirmed his use of silicone spray. An enhancement, but definitely not necessary.
    It would be like putting chains on your expensive snow tires. An enhancement but wholly unnecessary.

Please don't make it sound like this is something that has to be done. If it was, I am sure Henry would have the fabric pre-coated. Which he doesn't. Not to mention that you may push potential customers away from he EXCELLENT products by suggesting otherwise. A 3500mm hydrostatic head is more waterproof (almost 3 times) than what Hilleberg offers on their lightweight tents. That should help with perspective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++