WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tarptent ProTrail

Anyone out there had any experience yet with Henry Shire's new Protrail Tarptent? Curious how the longtime Contrail users view the ProTrail. Looks more stormworthy to me. The website says they have started shipping them.

https://tarptent.com/protrail.html

I've seen two positive reviews from folks Henry allowed to test the tent prior to it going retail. It's really just an updated Contrail, a continuation of his classic design. An improvement I'm sure, but I wouldn't expect it to be drastically different.

My buddy just got one of the first runs and we played with it a bit. Very easy to set up. Surprisingly so even. It has an impressive amount of space and features for its weight. I was impressed. It is a great length for tall hikers, a great 1p+ width (42 inches of usable width near the door), and at 6'2" we had no problem sitting up in the front half of the shelter when on a 2.5 inch pad.

I have no experience with the contrail but the protrail seems like it will shed wind and snow better than the contrail could. I believe the biggest improvement after the weather capabilities is how much easier it is to set up. I've read lots of reviews of the Contrail being finicky and the protrail is impossible to be anything but very easy. Being able to just stuff it and not have to carefully roll it because of the struts is another pretty big plus I think. I think they are going to sell a lot of them at the current price point.
    Last edited by LogHiking; 02-10-2015 at 12:23.

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics from playing with the Protrail for those interested.

This is a long wide ridgerest pushed to the left side of the floor to simulate if I were bringing my dog. The bathtub is also at it highest setting here. Generally the floor would be a couple inches wider as I find the most relaxed bath tub setting to be plenty adequate for most situations.

Great pics, thanks for sharing! I just ordered one.

Like your dog too. He looks like he's thinking: "I love my new tent! .... what tent did you get for yourself?"

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Great pics, thanks for sharing! I just ordered one.

Like your dog too. He looks like he's thinking: "I love my new tent! .... what tent did you get for yourself?"
    You're welcome. If the design appeals to you enough to order it I suspect you will be very happy with it. Henry did a great job with the execution IMO.

And haha ya you are right she's taken ownership of it by now

Exposed brick walls are so 2012...

The contrail was a great design and I'm happy Henry is continuing to improve upon it. Sweet tent Log.

I know the contrail had some condensation issues, nothing bad really, but I'm curious if the Protrail is an improvement in that regard?

Put some damn laces in your shoes.

Good, I hate following trends..

Thanks, although this actual protrail is my buddy's. I'll have one soon as I like it a lot.

My understanding in speaking to Henry about it is increased weather handling and increased ventilation were the two major design improvements. The front and rear flaps open, there is a lot of air going through. Much more so than the standard contrail pitch would be able to allow. Time will tell how it works in practice.

They are slip on converse with elastic connecting the tongue and shoe that acts as laces. Can't actually put laces in them even if you wanted to for no good functional reason

ETA: I think seeing the below pic and knowing the entire rear section of the protrail is netting when you take down the storm flap (flap is up in my pics) should add up to a lot more ventilation. That plus the higher rear wall allowing for more air space should amount to a substantial reduction in condensation.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LogHiking; 02-14-2015 at 16:47. Reason: add pic

They are slip on converse with elastic connecting the tongue and shoe that acts as laces. Can't actually put laces in them even if you wanted to for no good functional reason
    That's just craziness.

Thanks for the info. Nothing I like more than a company continuing to improve upon their products. To often once great designs are relegated to obsolescence because the makers refuse to update their designs.

I agree with you I was very impressed by that.

I ordered a Protrail a few days ago, and received an email from Henry today on delivery status. He said the TT Protrail is turning out to be very popular and they cannot keep up with the orders. I am #51 on their list, they are expecting in a shipment tomorrow..... I'm looking at delivery in 2-3 weeks.

can't wait to try it out!

Nice congrats. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I'm switching back to the ground for my upcoming CT thru hike this summer, and had to scoop one of these up at $209. It's in the mail and arriving tomorrow. Score!

I held out buying the contrail but i don't think I'll be able to resist this one. Can someone post a picture of them sitting up in one. Ive heard that it's possible but don't entirely believe it.

This is a photo of Will Rietveld from BPL (6') sitting inside the Contrail .
    The Pro Trail is the same at the front.

BTW, you can see in this composite that the photo of the Contrail posted by LogHiking has the rear flap down not up.
    Will bottom left photo has it partially up.

As a comparison this is Will doing the same thing inside the HMG Echo I and II

I am 6'2" with a lot of hair and a decently long torso--right at the medium/large borderline. I could sit perfectly straight with no slouch inside of the bug net without my head touching, but I was realllyyyy close. Depending on your posture, you could have even more room.

i already brought it inside from seam sealing, and i didnt take many photos. I'll get more tomorrow if anyone would like. Lots of ventilation, super quick setup. Now i need to get some miles under it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am wondering if theres a way to tie the apex tieout underneath the beak for more support without creating a hole for rain to enter. The little hood gets folded in a way that doesn't look like it would shield the rain when you run the tieout underneath.

The apex tie-out is on the outside so that if by any chance your pole brakes you can tie it to a tree without distorting the shelter.
    You can run a guyline through the front vent by simply having a loop over the pole tip , usually you have a small "basket" there (at the top of the pole tip) so the loop will stop at the basket if it slides down.
    This works better if you use pole tips up , inside the grommet pocket.
    (I did that with the Notch before the outside tie outs were put in place)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjackson View Post
    I held out buying the contrail but i don't think I'll be able to resist this one. Can someone post a picture of them sitting up in one. Ive heard that it's possible but don't entirely believe it.
    I don't have a pic off hand but I'm 6'2" and not only can I sit up at the front I can slide inward a bit and still sit up fully with good posture, although it does get close then. If you are 6'3" or under and don't have a truly abnormally long torso (mine is considered long) you will have no problem sitting up in the protrail. That is a fact

Has anyone tested theirs in high rain/windy conditions? Do they have to be silicon sealed (the site doesn't say)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++