WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Section Hiker

A great book! His perseverance is inspiring.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

Just bought this book for the kindle. I have really enjoyed it so far!

Perhaps there were a few exaggerations? I don't care - I really enjoyed the book and it was good entertainment! His style of writing is fun to read, too many AT books follow a "trail journals/blog" style of writing that puts me to sleep.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I really enjoyed this book. And it's not only the smokies that are a cesspool. Hike in the bubble and at any giving camp site without a privy(and in some cases with) all you see is garbage and toilet paper strewn about.

Journal Entries

Looking forward to reading it soon. My daughter managed to get a copy through an inter-library loan.

K1YPP -- Finished it up a couple of weeks ago. Great read, but I gotta say I hope my month in the woods next May is a little more mundane. Bears on the next mountain -- fascinating. Bears tripping over my tent -- not so much. In a lifetime of hiking, I've only had a glimpse of a bear in the wild once, in Colorado. Your report from the AT wow'd me, to say the least.

But sorry if it sounded like I doubted you. Call it wishful thinking!

Glad you enjoyed the book Harrison Bergeron. My AT hike was an adventure of a lifetime and I can honestly say I don't think anything will ever match it. I could do without matching the heart surgery.
    It is interesting how many bear encounters I had. This summer I thru-hiked the Vermont Long Trail, all 273 miles. I never saw a bear, at least one that would be a confirmed siting. Jane and I hiked the first 132 miles together. Just before the Sunshine shelter we (I?) saw something large dart across the trail up ahead. However, it was such a blur that I couldn't count it as a bear siting, it could have been a deer, or coyote, it was just too fast and my eyes didn't have time to focus on it. We did see lots of bear evidence, but no bears. Just as well.
    On my very last night on the trail I had a beautiful moose encounter, a cow and calf. As usual, I failed to have the camera in hand to get a photo. It was a picture perfect setting too, the setting sun was just right. It was a tense few seconds, she stared me right in the eye from about twenty-feet away and then the calf darted off behind her and she followed. Cows can be very dangerous when they have a calf with them, I was eyeing up a tree cluster to jump into.
    Once again, glad you enjoyed it and hope the May hike was successful.

Dennis "K1" Blanchard

Great read...one of the few books I truly enjoyef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Hey K1....glad you completed your LT thruhike. Enjoyed hosting you and your wife in June.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Great read...one of the few books I truly enjoyef
    Agreed. AWOL's and K1's are my two favorites.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I am not familiar with the book. Was wondering about the title. Did he spend 600 nights in hotels?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I am not familiar with the book. Was wondering about the title. Did he spend 600 nights in hotels?
    No. You'll just have to read it to find out.

Default You gave me a chuckle, Rafe...

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    No. You'll just have to read it to find out.
    I did spend about 4 nights in a hospital, which ended up costing about as much as 600 nights in a hotel. The title, Three Hundred Zeroes, comes from the reference to "Zero" days when hiking the trail. I needed 300 zeroes to recover from a six-artery bypass operation after reaching Pearisburg, VA. Other than that, unlike Bill Bryson, I did go back and finish the whole trail. It was the hike of a lifetime!

Wow a three pound radio? The radio I carried in the Army weighed 38 pounds, without attachments like antenna, handmic, battery (those weight 8 pounds each).

Images

I'm still reading Three Hundred Zeros, but I must say it's one of the better thruhiking books I've read. Definitely a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravytrain View Post
    Wow a three pound radio? The radio I carried in the Army weighed 38 pounds, without attachments like antenna, handmic, battery (those weight 8 pounds each).
    Yeah, I recall some of those radios. I worked with the PRC-47A often, it was about that weight. Loved those batteries!!! Spent most of my time working the AN/TRC-24A, TSC-15/A and the AN/TRC-97A tropospheric system. They were so big and heavy they mounted on the back of a 3/4 ton truck.

Dennis, "K1"

Quote Originally Posted by k1ypp View Post
    Yeah, I recall some of those radios. I worked with the PRC-47A often, it was about that weight. Loved those batteries!!! Spent most of my time working the AN/TRC-24A, TSC-15/A and the AN/TRC-97A tropospheric system. They were so big and heavy they mounted on the back of a 3/4 ton truck.

Dennis, "K1"
    I was trained to operate a radio/teletype in the Army. They never left a vehicle. Too power hungry. Too heavy. I like my cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I was trained to operate a radio/teletype in the Army. They never left a vehicle. Too power hungry. Too heavy. I like my cell phone.
    Yeah, the small, modern radio is a wonder. I'm considering something with higher power for the future though...98-QRO 021.jpg

I somehow have not heard of this book. I am going to get it ASAP! It Sounds great

Images

AWOL's and K1's are my two favorites.
    I like AWOL and K1's books as well. I'm rereading Rubin's On the Beaten Path, which is also good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++