WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

I hiked the AT in 3.5 months at age 51. I hiked the PCT and CDT earlier, so the 20 mile days were just my natural pace since that pace is pretty much required on the longer trails due to the shorter season.

Like Kaptain Kangaroo's experience, it was not a forced march at all. In fact, comparing notes with slower hikers I passed, it turns out I actually saw more than most. I had the energy to take more side trips. I was usually hiking at dawn and dusk, so I saw more wildlife. I had many great sunrise and sunset views.

I saw a lot of hikers spending up to 16 hours a day hanging around a shelter. I suspect they were among the ones taking up to six months. Huddling in the corner of a mouse- and snake-infested lean-to, downwind of a loaded privy, in the company of habituated bears and snoring hikers, is not my idea of a good hiking vacation.

Another good reason for a shorter hike is cost. An average AT hike costs about $1000 per month, and it doesn't matter much how many miles you hiked in that month. The opportunity cost has already been mentioned.

I met a few first-time hikers finishing in Maine on a four-month pace. They were strong, confident hikers having a great trip. It can definitely be done and it does not have to be difficult. Hiking 2 mph for 10 hours a day, the world isn't exactly flying by to the exclusion of all enjoyment!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I agree with Garlic and Kaptain Kangaroo.
    If you get up early, and hike late, I can pretty much guarantee you'll see more than the average hiker who takes probably 5 1/2 months to do the trail.
    They might see more of the inside of a tent, but you'll see more wildlife and have the trail to yourself much more often.
    That's been my key to big mile days.
    4:30 wakeup. Hike until dark. Take a long lunch and dinner.
    1 night in town max. (get in early, leave late the next day, you'll still have time to do what you need to do and even hit a bar and 2 or 3 restaurants)
    Experience helps a lot as many newbies just love town too much (and the inside of their sleeping bag)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

Plenty of people have hiked the trail in 4 months.

The hard part is starting the HAVING to hike that fast.

The stress of HAVING to make miles is vastly underestimated IMHO.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I am not sure how 18 MPD on average is a death march? It is a lower pace typically than done on the PCT and the CDT. On the trail at 8am, hike until 6pm. 1-2 hrs of breaks in between. There you go... I believe the major difference are the more social aspect of the trail vs the CDT (The PCT? changing IMO to be more AT like) esp in town stops.

But, we've been having this same discussion for 10+ years and I doubt any views will change.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-30-2015 at 11:45.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I am not sure how 18 MPD on average is a death march? It is a lower pace typically than done on the PCT and the CDT. On the trail at 8am, hike until 6pm. 1-2 hrs of breaks in between. There you go... I believe the major difference are the more social aspect of the trail vs the CDT (The PCT? changing IMO to be more AT like) esp in town stops.

But, we've been having this same discussion for 10+ years and I doubt any views will change.

A other difference is the tendency to camp at shelters or designated sites along the AT. In some areas you are required to. That can make it a bit more difficult to keep the average where you need it to be.

I'm planning 110 days nobo beginning Apr 19th. The daily mileage itself doesn't intimidate me as I have an ultra running background, although I'm a bit removed from that now. I have a ~12lb base weight, and with careful planning don't figure on needing to carry more than 8lbs of consumables (usually about 6). I went through the AT Guide and circled goal end points for each day based on terrain, length of daylight, etc. I have 2 zero and 3 nero days planned but I do have a few 30 mile days planned (mostly near solstice in northern va to pa).

Of course all plans are tentative, but it helps me mentally to have a goal.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    A other difference is the tendency to camp at shelters or designated sites along the AT. In some areas you are required to.
    Tendency to camp at shelters...yes. Designated sites? In nearly 2200 miles, the amount of places where you HAVE to camp is not the majority.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

I always figured if you graphed the distribution of "Miles Hiked Per Day" for hikes of a given length of time, it would be much broader on the AT than other trails.

I have no no basis for that conclusion, I will admit.

I wonder what a typical range of MPD over 1 or 2 week span (no zeros) one would fine for those who average 18 miles per day on each Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Arius View Post
    I did in 2012. Physically - no problem. Right equipment, most importantly - shoes. Blisters? Just one. Hot spots? A couple. If no problem, it means: plenty of "time to sight-see and really appreciate your surroundings". I know, I know... It was my second thru-hike. First one in 2006 abruptly has ended with the broken ankle. But, anyway it can be done, even in my age (56 at that time).
    How'd your ankle hold up on the thru-hike? I broke mine 5 years ago. Had 7 pins and a plate inserted. The slightest misstep while hiking can cause me problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++