WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default UL Toiletries kit advice

I'm planning a SOBO AT thruhike starting early August, and I think I've got most of my gear fairly well dialed. Base weight of around 3.2kg / 7 lbs. BUT I'm carrying quite a lot of 'bits' in my toiletries kit, and I'd appreciate any feedback/advice.

(Clothing treated with Permethrin)
    20ml 30% deet gel, 25g / 0.9oz
    Zap-It mosquito bite relief, 8g / 0.3oz
    Tick tweezers, 6g / 0.2oz
    No-See-Um headnet, 14g / 0.5oz

10ml Vaseline in plastic case, 10g / 0.4oz
    25ml toothpaste, 36g / 1.3oz (or use toothpaste dots?)
    Zpacks toothbrush, 4g / 0.1oz
    10cc Lavilin deodorant cream plastic case, 11g / 0.4oz
    15ml Dr.Bronner's soap in dropper bottle, 20g / 0.7oz
    Zpacks lightload towel, 17g / 0.6oz

20ml suncream + lip salve, 31g / 1.1oz (just for August?)
    Sunglasses, 21g / 0.7oz (just for August?)

20ml hand sanitizer gel in dropper bottle, 22g / 0.8oz
    Biodegradable toilet paper, 22g / 0.8oz
    Biodegradable baby wipes (dehydrated), 20g / 0.7oz

Many thanks

Only a couple small things I can mention...but do you need clothing treated in permethrin AND bug spray AND bite relief gel AND a headnet? Everyone has their own system, so this is up to you (and I swear some people really are bug magnets and might very well need all that).

Does your first aid kit have regular tweezers in it (of the small, finely pointed kind)? If so, no need for specialty tick tweezers.

Also, what kind of cooking are you doing? ...just wanted to make sure you're using the same soap for your pot as you're using for your toiletry needs (no need to bring two) – if for some reason the hand sanitizer doesn't work for things like washing your hands (which I agree that sometimes you just need good ole' fashioned SOAP!).

Speaking of hand sanitizer, I've found the hand sanitizer you might find in a commercial kitchen or whatnot (i.e. liquid, not a gel; and dispersed via a spray) is lighter than the generic little bottles of gel hand sanitizer many people use on a daily basis. I use the little spray bottles USPlastics.com sells to dispense it.

Speaking of USPlastics.com, I use the same little spray bottle from them (think of it as a slightly larger version of a little perfume sample spray bottle) for my sunscreen as well because it's lighter. I haven't tried this long-term yet, but I took a regular can of the liquid aerosol 30 SPF sunscreen and sprayed it directly into the USPlastics spray bottle. I'm hoping doing that doesn't mess up it's effectiveness (via some chemical reaction once it's out of the original aerosol bottle), but the smallest squeeze tube I could find was still pretty heavy, and the lighter ones from USPlastics weren't that malleable so there's no way to squeeze all the sunscreen out of the bottle easily (thus more wasted weight).

That's all I can think of. A lot of this is going to depend on your resupply plans, and/or if you're OK with doing things like buying a roll of TP just to rip off 1/4 of it for the next couple days and throw away the rest (same for all the consumables you'll need on a regular basis, and if they're from your mail drops or based off things you can easily find in an ill-equipped store or not).

It doesn't save you much, but I wouldn't bother with the head net or deet for August. The after bite itch relief might be handy but I've stopped carrying that too. Insect bites don't bother me too much.

Tics are not much of a problem in Maine and NH and it is unlikely you will pick one up in August. Then by October when you get into areas where there is more of a risk, it's getting cold enough that risk is greatly diminished.

You can probably get away without the sunscreen and sun glasses. Your not going to be hiking in the direct sun all that often and by the time you do have some extended above tree line areas to cross you should have a enough of a tan. Just a hat should be enough.

I think hand sanitizer is a waste, it really doesn't do much for you. "Biodegradable" baby wipes aren't very common here and I don't trust that claim. (dehydrated? Doesn't that render them useless?) Burn or carry out wipes.

Your whole kit is only 7 pounds? Hope you'll be warm enough in NH. It can get pretty chilly at the end of August here in the mountains.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the detailed reply! That is really helpful.

Yes, might be overkill on the insect protection Once I'm bitten by anything I get horribly itchy which is miserable. Hopefully I'm going to avoid the worst of the bug season by starting in August, and perhaps get away with deet during the day if the insects are bad, and then occasional use of headnet at camp? I've not been on at the AT in summer before, but I'm assuming the mosquitoes are worst at dawn and dusk? Don't know if the bite relief thing is any good - not used it yet. I sometimes use hydrocortisone cream on itchy bites, and that gives hours of relief.

Not carrying regular tweezers, so probably need the tick tweezers. Although I don't know how I'm supposed to check my (dirty) body for tiny little black ticks?? Again, hoping that starting in August I'll be missing the worst of the ticks, and the permethrin should help.

Not planning on cooking, but yes, if I do end up taking a pot the Dr.Bronner's soap should be fine for washing that too.

Thanks for the tips about lighter sanitizer & those spray bottles - I'll check those out.

Going with quite a few maildrops for resupply of consumables, so I don't need to carry so much and I'm not needlessly buying 4 packs of TP, etc.

In pint Ziploc:

toothbrush with half of and cut off
    travel size tooth paste
    small bar of Ivory soap
    disposable razor

Quote Originally Posted by Sodium View Post
    I'm planning a SOBO AT thruhike starting early August, and I think I've got most of my gear fairly well dialed. Base weight of around 3.2kg / 7 lbs. BUT I'm carrying quite a lot of 'bits' in my toiletries kit, and I'd appreciate any feedback/advice.

(Clothing treated with Permethrin)
    20ml 30% deet gel, 25g / 0.9oz
    Zap-It mosquito bite relief, 8g / 0.3oz
    Tick tweezers, 6g / 0.2oz
    No-See-Um headnet, 14g / 0.5oz

10ml Vaseline in plastic case, 10g / 0.4oz
    25ml toothpaste, 36g / 1.3oz (or use toothpaste dots?)
    Zpacks toothbrush, 4g / 0.1oz
    10cc Lavilin deodorant cream plastic case, 11g / 0.4oz
    15ml Dr.Bronner's soap in dropper bottle, 20g / 0.7oz
    Zpacks lightload towel, 17g / 0.6oz

20ml suncream + lip salve, 31g / 1.1oz (just for August?)
    Sunglasses, 21g / 0.7oz (just for August?)

20ml hand sanitizer gel in dropper bottle, 22g / 0.8oz
    Biodegradable toilet paper, 22g / 0.8oz
    Biodegradable baby wipes (dehydrated), 20g / 0.7oz

Many thanks
    I would not take the mosquito bite relief. For August, not sure a bug net is necessary. With treated clothes, DEET may not be necessary either. If I did take repellent, I would get some with Picaradin instead of DEET. Much less nasty. Since ticks are one the the biggest dangers, 6 g for a tick puller is a good investment (I have a little plastic one, probably weighs less than a gram).

I have been told that toothpaste is really optional. Brushing without toothpaste is just about as good as brushing with. But for me, I just can't do without toothpaste. For a 2000 mile hike, it seems that toothpaste dots is only a short-term solution. When they run out, you are going to need more. I would just take the small tube. Deodorant not necessary. If you take liquid soap you are carrying a lot of water and packaging (not much soap). I have a bar of Ivory Soap, cut off a sliver, and put in a plastic sandwich bag. Will last much longer, cost is next to nothing. Ivory is good because it is plain soap (i.e. natural and biodegradable, cheap, and unscented).

AntiGravity Gear has small bottles, if interested.

I like the O'Tom small and large tick removal kit. It is two plastic tick removal devices, one larger on smaller. It relies on the fact ticks will retract their mouth parts that "hook" in. It works, for pets or people.

Tweezers break the ticks leaving pieces of the tick inside: worse, tweezers may squeeze the infectious material while still inside your flesh.

I think the O'Tom device is worth giving O'Tom financial support.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Tweezers break the ticks leaving pieces of the tick inside: worse, tweezers may squeeze the infectious material while still inside your flesh.
    Not if done correctly - you won't squeeze anything back into your body, and having pieces of the tick break off inside really isn't that bad (your skin is still pierced no matter what). I would simply call it overkill in bringing two tick removers, [assuming] you're also bringing tweezers in your first aid kit as well (and probably carry a knife with you which has a fine tip as well)... Here's a good resource on removing ticks:

http://www.tickencounter.org/prevention/tick_removal

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Tics are not much of a problem in Maine and NH and it is unlikely you will pick one up in August. Then by October when you get into areas where there is more of a risk, it's getting cold enough that risk is greatly diminished.

You can probably get away without the sunscreen and sun glasses. Your not going to be hiking in the direct sun all that often and by the time you do have some extended above tree line areas to cross you should have a enough of a tan. Just a hat should be enough.

I think hand sanitizer is a waste, it really doesn't do much for you. "Biodegradable" baby wipes aren't very common here and I don't trust that claim. (dehydrated? Doesn't that render them useless?) Burn or carry out wipes.

Your whole kit is only 7 pounds? Hope you'll be warm enough in NH. It can get pretty chilly at the end of August here in the mountains.
    Thanks, that is really helpful.

We really don't have sunshine here in the UK so I could be completely fried after just 1 day if it is sunny on Katahdin. And I'll be out of the tree cover through the Whites as well?

Drying out baby wipes is a tip I got off an AT trailjournal - you lose the water weight, but keep the lotion/whatever. Then just moisten them before use.

I was thinking I'll probably need to carry some warmer clothing for the Whites, and again later in the year. But I was section hiking in TN/NC in mid-October, and was amazed how warm it was during the day, at least compared to the UK!

The easiest stress-free way to remove ticks is to apply a drop of dawn dish soap (original dawn..blue in color) to the tick area. Cover completely, a decent size drop. The tick will back itself out. No head or body left behind! Has worked for me every time! Does not freak the kids out like every other way seems to.
    I plan on a tick searching body cleansing ritual every night before getting into camp/sleep clothes. I have a lightweight (gortex I think) cloth like collapsible bucket that I plan on using to bath nightly and occasional laundry. Using Dr Bronners soap for body, clothing and cooking/eating equipment!
    I've heard of some using a waterproof dry bag for the same purpose.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

It won't kill you to bring a little sunscreen. A 1/4oz or so. Just a little.

How do you take care of your feet? Nail clippers?

You don't "need" DEET. Especially if you treat your clothes. Treating them is the way to go imo for a thru hike

The biodegradable toilet paper and butt wipes, well after your first resupply youll prob switch to regular old toilet paper due to availability.

How do you dig a cathole? A QiWiz Titanium Trowel only weighs .6oz, efficiently and effectively digs a proper cathole, and doubles as an extra tent stake. I started with a plastic trowel, immediately tossed it, went no trowel, and now my ti trowel is permanently part of my kit.

15ml of Dr. Bronner's is a good amount of soap. I now only carry a 6ml dropper bottle. It lasts me about a month. Then I usually get some more out of a hiker box, hostel, etc. Never have to pay for it. You could always carry non liquid soap, like ivory soap or a bar of Dr. B's. It's more bang for your buck in terms of weight. I think the best method is to cut a sliver off the bar, and do not wet the whole bar at once.

The bug net is light enough to bring along to keep your sanity. I'm assuming you have all this bug protection cause your shelter has none. Correct me if I'm wrong.

An ultralight mirror like the "featherweight" signal mirror is pretty useful at 0.3oz. It can help you check for ticks, trim your noise hairs, and well, signal for rescue if need be.
    http://www.survivalresources.com/Pro...Signaling.html

Toothpaste dots are not readily available on the AT. you'll be picking up travel sized toothpaste containers or refilling a small container if your bring one.

Dental floss is a staple of ultralight backpackers. You can floss and it's a great piece for your repair kit for sewing. It's very strong and light.

Also, 7lbs is pretty light for the AT, when you have over 3/4 of a pound in toiletries. Are you sure have enough warm gear?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    How do you take care of your feet? Nail clippers?

How do you dig a cathole? A QiWiz Titanium Trowel only weighs .6oz, efficiently and effectively digs a proper cathole, and doubles as an extra tent stake. I started with a plastic trowel, immediately tossed it, went no trowel, and now my ti trowel is permanently part of my kit.

The bug net is light enough to bring along to keep your sanity. I'm assuming you have all this bug protection cause your shelter has none. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Nail clippers once a month? in a mail drop, not going to carry them.

Catholes - I'll just use a tent stake/trekking pole, but it seems like you go past quite a few privies each day.

No, my tent has bug netting. The head net is perhaps overkill? I'm used to Scotland where the bugs swarm so thick you can just inhale your daily protein requirements and in the summer I'd wear one any time I'm outside my tent.

I'm sure I'm "packing for my fears". Even if I do start off with all that lot, hopefully after the first few weeks I'll be over it and be down to 6.5 lbs. grin!

A tent is good enough for late summer and August is late summer in northern New England. Mosquitoes are only a problem in the early evening. If you get to a problem area, a smoky fire can mess up their CO2 sensors and keep them away from you.

Nail clippers don't weigh much and you never know when it might come in handy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodium View Post
    My 2 cents: You can leave the Zap-It, the toothpaste, the deodorant, and hand sanitizer behind.
    You might want a more substantial pack towel and more liquid soap (unless you are resupplying with soap every 5-7 days).
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I suggest people just try digging a "cathole" with a tent stake or trekking pole at home. Maybe find some hard ground near your home. I don't think a tent stake or a trekking pole do the job.

My vote: titanium trowel.

It could be the "status symbol" of a considerate backpacker.

I will put in another "I like O'Tom for ticks".

It is difficult or impossible do everything shown with tweezers in that link.

1. Ticks are no conveniently located.
    2. Ticks like hairy places.
    3. Tweezers require finesse.
    4. The twirling motion of using an O'Tom is easier to perform in difficult places and in places with hair.

It helps, there are two sizes: tiny ticks, and blood engorged ticks.

Both sizes O'Tom weigh less than tweezers.
    Last edited by Connie; 02-17-2015 at 17:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I will put in another "I like O'Tom for ticks".

It is difficult or impossible do everything shown with tweezers in that link.

Both sizes O'Tom weigh less than tweezers.
    For the record I've already got a specific tick-remover tool that seems simple to use and only weighs 6g (0.2oz), not general purpose tweezers. But the O'Tom does look good - how much does the pair actually weigh? Can't see any mention of weight on the website.

Mine are "lost" to theft of a backpack. I had weighed them before, making the comparison.

It was difficult to get hundredths of grams to settle on the weight. I think I have a better "kitchen scale" now.

Let's see who gets them first to get their weight.

I would add, O'Tom is great for pets: pets wiggle a lot.

Pets get more ticks than people.

People get ticks from their pets that run thru the tall grass and brush.
    Last edited by Connie; 02-17-2015 at 18:10.

++ New Posts ++