WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Having read some of the hyperbolic comments from users when it first came out it's a wonder how it ever survived it's early critics..

My guess is if you treat the neoair using common sense backpacking 101 then there is nothing to worry about. Besides if somehow a leak does occur you have a repair kit to patch it up tight. I have used mine maybe 4 times and always use a vapor barrier between it and the tent floor.

Always pack and unpack mine inside the confines of my tent.

I bought the womens NeoAirX-lite which has a higher R value (3.9) than the mens pad and also has a weight savings of a few oz. It should serve you well on your PCT hike.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I personally would never bring an inflatable pad on a winter trip without having a CCF pad as well. I have had an inflatable fail on me on three different occasions over the years, the worst one being on Mt. Madison in -15*f conditions...fortunately on that occasion I was sleeping on a zrest foam pad as well, having the foam pad changed the potentially dangerous situation into one that was merely slightly uncomfortable.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I have two xkites, one has three patches on it, the other never gave me any problems. I am afraid that the one with the patches was due to my own careless treatment of it. I bring the patch kit with me and have patched in the field with good results.

Speaking of weight, I can't seem to find what the maximum weight the NeoAir Xlite will support. I am in the market for one of these, but not sure if weight will be an issue, since I go about 230. Does anyone know if these will support weights over 180 or so?

Images

The Prolite can have leaks too. I got mine out to sit on while cooking an early dinner in the Sierra. While packing up I carelessly pulled a pine needle out of it without marking the spot. That was a slow leak requiring reinflation in the middle of the night. Try as I might I couldn't find the leak until I got to Mammoth where a motel bathtub disclosed a very small stream of bubbles. I now use the Neoair Xtherm (since I do backpack in winter). It was good on a shelter floor down to -12F. I used it with care on the AZT where there are many sharp things as well as on several other trails (about 2000 miles) without a problem.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I have the zPacks cuben ground sheet for the floor of my shelter and that ground sheet has yet to be punctured by anything so that does give me added confidence with the neoair. I think that I'm going to go with the neoair as I start the PCT but will keep my Prolite available to have sent out to me if necessary. I don't think that the low temps on the PCT will put me in true danger if the neoair fails. I might be uncomfortable but I can accept that I think... Thanks for the feedback.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

The fear of total failure of an airmat is overstated. Short of catastrophic failure a pin hole means a couple reinflations at night, not freezing to death.

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    Hoqw much do you weigh, OP? Reason I asked, I have srung a few mysterious leaks in my 10-yr-old Prolite, keep patching bue now the valve may be going south. So it may be time to go to Prolite heaven. I like the NeoAir Xlites, but I, too, wonder about it supporting my 180-lb carcass. Also, I am a tarp user at times (not sure which Ill take this time, maybe the tarp and maybe the Moment DW). do use a silnylon poncho for a groundcloth with the tarp, but still that is pretty thin.

Thoughts from either of you?
    This has been aroundcl my weight for a long while. I own both a Prolite and a regular Neoair and use them both wirwith my tarp extensively (or a floorless tepee tent). I use a tyvek groundcloth. Never a leak. I also use a T-rest chair with both. I am careful and do not put them right on the ground.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Speaking of weight, I can't seem to find what the maximum weight the NeoAir Xlite will support. I am in the market for one of these, but not sure if weight will be an issue, since I go about 230. Does anyone know if these will support weights over 180 or so?
    I have a buddy of mine that is well north of that weight. He has no problems w/ his Large NeoAir Xlite.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I am 5'11" @ 215 lbs...had neoair xlite for several years....no issues and my dog sleeps next to it...in winter I also carry a zlite CCF as I get cold in the 15deg marmot helium w xlite around 25...I'm a cold sleeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

A person's weight should not matter at all with air mattresses... consider 100 extra pounds as a fair extreme, for example. Spread this weight out over a few square feet, that's one quarter (0.25) of a PSI extra pressure in the mattress, trivial.

Images

I've carried a NightLight pad from Gossamere Gear for quite a number of years now. It is the back support for my ULA packs, an all-important sitting pad for rocky or wet sitting comfort, leg/foot insulation when carrying a short primary pad, and insurance against no insulation when carrying an inflatable pad.

For several years, this was my primary pad for warm weather hiking, decided that I wanted more luxury as I got older. My original pad has a partial rip between sections, repaired many years ago with duct tape, still going strong today. Would allow a decent nights sleep if the NeoAir X-therm failed me (but it seems pretty tough and is gaining my confidence after 25+ nights along the JMT).

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/nig...so-length.html

I've used a NeoAir for years and my weight fluctuates around 250 lbs. Never had a problem, never had a leak (knock on wood).
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

I am amazed how much abuse an xlite will stand. I packraft with mine in the bottom of the boat (it fits an alpaca perfectly). I do long, hard days constantly in and out of my boat wearing sandy, silty, wet trail runners stepping on and jumping around on the pad. I don't baby my pad at all. It has held up perfectly. I also have used it down to 0ish and stayed warm (I sleep cold).
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. - John Muir

I use the all season and have had a catastrophic failure once but it was due to kicking the knob in the morning by accident. There was no fixing it. It was certainly operator air but this shows it can happen and it did end my trip. image.jpg

Images

I have spent a lot of nights on my neo with no issues and I love it. I have a piece of 3/16th foam with a mylar face that I fold up for a 3.5oz sit pad slipped in a nylon waterproof sleeve I made up, I can unfold and slip it under the pad when I feel I want or need the extra protection from the cold or for the pad. I go out at about 225 lbs, I shelter and tent and I love that little patch of heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I personally would never bring an inflatable pad on a winter trip without having a CCF pad as well. I have had an inflatable fail on me on three different occasions over the years, the worst one being on Mt. Madison in -15*f conditions...fortunately on that occasion I was sleeping on a zrest foam pad as well, having the foam pad changed the potentially dangerous situation into one that was merely slightly uncomfortable.
    Totally agree with this. I always bring a backup pad on every trip and esp every winter trip. You just can't afford to be without one when conditions go south at -10F.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I was totally paranoid about the Neoair the entire trip.
    It's okay to be totally paranoid about your sleeping pad. Every trip I go on I'm completely paranoid about whatever pad I'm taking, whether it be a NeoAir All Season or a Thermarest Prolite Plus or 40th Anniversary or Exped downmat. You must be paranoid on a long trip because anything could happen and you can't bail out to return to your couch at home.

There are several solutions---
    ** Of course bring your Thermarest/Pad repair kit(s)---a no-brainer.
    ** Cache an emergency thermarest in the woods by the trailhead and circle back thru the wilderness to get it if you must (this doesn't work well on a linear hike like the AT).
    ** Keep an extra in your car trunk and circle back etc etc.
    ** Carry a spare with you the whole trip. Sometimes I bring a spare NeoAir rolled tight and kept permanently inside my pack. THEN if I have a blowout I don't need to hike 12 miles to a cache and have backup right with me.

** OR carry a decent ccf pad and use both the inflatable and the foam on cold winter nights. My fave is the Ridgerest Solar at 3.5R which can be doubled up in an emergency (folded in half) and offers 7R. Below is my Solar pad---useful for resting on the ground (never do this with an inflatable) and as a second pad at 0F and as an emergency backup etc.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I think your plan is good - bring a foam bad for backup.

I know opinions about Neoairs are all over the map but my opinion is that it's a matter of WHEN and not IF one gets a puncture. I have 2 in my gear closet right now that need to be patched.

And, if you do successfully patch one would you ever really trust it again?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I think your plan is good - bring a foam bad for backup.

I know opinions about Neoairs are all over the map but my opinion is that it's a matter of WHEN and not IF one gets a puncture. I have 2 in my gear closet right now that need to be patched.

And, if you do successfully patch one would you ever really trust it again?
    All good points. Not IF but WHEN is exactly true. Having a pad fall outside my Circle of Trust is a depressing, sobering moment but I eventually get over it. And if I have a pad that leaks and is pinholed and fixed, well, I will use it at home in my backyard camps but won't take it out with me. It's time to get a new pad for my next trip.

Pad transport is the most important part of keeping an inflatable from leaking---wrap it in your ground cloth or keep it in a stout stuff sack or keep it inside your pack. NEVER strap it exposed on the outside of your pack (I see it all the time), NEVER throw it on the ground and sit on it, never use it for the cushion in a chair and never sit on it by the campfire.

Default Nervous Neoair User ...

My tent has a bathtub floor. I have used my neoair XL in shelters, and have camped on everything from pine needles to rock face. I have not had any problems yet. I agree with Just Bill: learn how to sleep warm without it in the event you do spring a leak. Unless you hike in extremely remote areas, chances are you are rarely more than 3 or 4 days from civilization.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++