WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    My solution for a wind shell is to use my Outdoor Resarch Helium II rain jacket. It works great as a wind shell. In fact, I like it better as a wind shell than as a rain jacket. It weighs 6.4 ounces, more than most dedicated wind shells, but is more worthy in the rain. My layering system calls for using the jacket when temps are below the mid 40s and/or very windy. Under those conditions, I never get overheated in the jacket even when hiking strenuously.

If I could assemble my gear all over again, I would probably opt for the zPacks wind shell and Challenger Rain Jacket and the combined weight would be similar to my current jacket and more functional, but I'm sticking with the Helium II jacket until it wears out.
    I also use the helium 11...haven't had very long but really like it so far for rain or wind....I had a OR foray before...OR has Awsome customer service...contact them and I'd bet it would get replaced for you. I've read lots of good reviews on this piece....price, weight and versatility is why I bought...seems to work better than the patagoochie Houdini I had in wind or rain. Breathes good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend the highest breathability wind proof that resists rain to an extent for time enough to don rainwear or time to get to shelter.

Have rainwear for real rain.

My UL wind shirt is for over two layers: underwear "cami" (female) plus 200 wt. merino. It resists rain, that's it. Breathability is excellent for me. The long zip anorak ventilation is sufficient. Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Anorak.

The rainwear I want is LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover and a rain skirt. I have rain chaps. I have a Sou'wester rain hat. (I would like to try a rain skirt for the PNT Pacific Northwest Trail.)

AT hikers like rain jackets for steady rain.

I would rather use my small tarp as a rain wrap, for the brief "cloudbursts" we get in Montana.

Ask: what kind of rain?

Wind shirts/wind jackets:

I read about this fabric at BPL.
    http://www.camp-usa.com/products/ess.../magic-jacket/

Their Camp-USA wind pants looked good, to me.
    http://www.camp-usa.com/products/ess...ar/magic-pant/

The Camp-USA claim is their proprietary fabric allows sweat to evaporate out their fabric.
    http://www.golightgofast.com/2012/05...um-fabric.html

I was directed to the golf course country club, last year. There were only XS sizes left over. However, they had excellent wind shirts and wind jackets at reasonable prices. Surprise.

The golf pro shop Manager said, "We restock in March". I said, "I'll be there".

They had excellent fabrics and features we like.

Eagle Falls Golf Club, Great Falls, MT

I appreciate that their wind shirts and wind jackets are cut for full range movement.
    Last edited by Connie; 02-17-2015 at 05:03.

Short answer: 35-40 cfm 7 MET

reference: Richard Nisley BPL forum http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=70722
    Last edited by Connie; 02-17-2015 at 08:46.

Well decided to go with the Houdini. Thanks Just Bill. Hoping they are on sale when the sale starts Thursday.

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

I use the Marmot Trail Wind Hoody, also known as the Ion, around 5 oz, and I love it. But I've carried it over 500 miles of the AT only wearing it a handful of times. Why? Because my Marmot Precip rain jacket does the same thing, but actually breathes better because of the pit zips. So I'm leaving the wind jacket home this year and saving 5 oz.

Only time I'd consider taking the wind jacket/shirt backpacking again is in very warm weather, where the rain jacket would be too heavy. Or on a day hike when I know there will be no rain. Around town I use it all the time.

If my wind shirt anorak weren't under 2 oz. and take up virtually no space in backpack or pocket, I wouldn't take it except for pleasant Summertime breezes that may get windy in the mountains.

Because I have my under 2 oz. windshirt anorak, now, I will carry it for 3-season use.

Hot5nics, The Hoodini since the 2011 version isn't as breatheable as the earlier Hoodini that had a different fabric. The Hoodini "luv" is for the older versions of Hoodini.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Anorak for men or women. 1.7 oz.
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~m...er/?perPage=24
    Sign up with email for Sierra Trading Post and use a coupon or combine with a sale. I did.

I like my Ghost Whisperer Anorak wind shirt. It runs sized for people who are thin. I got it oversize to go over layers.
    +1 on Ghost Whisperer. Too expensive IMO unless you find it on sale, but so light you can always have it in your kit. There is a pull-over version (lightest) and a full zip version with hood (a bit heavier). Both are worth considering.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I got the anorak from Sierra Trading Post, combining "on sale" and a discount "offer" I got for signing up with my email to receive notices of sales and special offers.

The other brand with hood, also, looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot5nics View Post
    Well decided to go with the Houdini. Thanks Just Bill. Hoping they are on sale when the sale starts Thursday.
    I just got a notice from Patagonia of a sale February 19-26...online and outlets... Never have what I want at the time on sale...

Yeah usually to have a chance at the size and color you want you gotta log on right at midnight.

I was torn between the Houdini and the Ghost Whisperer. Would the Ghost be a better choice since the new Houdini is not as nice as previous versions?

Unfortunately the Ghost on Sierra is only available in large and x-large. I need a medium.

That Mountain Hardwear Ghost Light looks good. It is my impression, their clothing line is made for someone quite thin. I had to size up.

I like the looks of that Camp-USA hooded jacket.

Have you looked at all the links in the thread?

Have you searched price, by Google Search "shopping" at the top of the Google Search webpage?

Do you need something, right away? I was not kidding about lightweight wind shirts and jackets for golf.

I am really looking for a breathable, 4oz or less with a full zipper and hood.

The Camp USA are very nice, but appear very expensive.
    Last edited by Hot5nics; 02-17-2015 at 20:29.

New stuff runs $100 for hiking, golf, bicycling or running.

If you Google Search "windproofs" you will turn up Salomon, for instance.
    http://www.wiggle.com/salomon-fast-wing-hoodie-ss15/

Nike, Montane, Helley Hansen and all the big name brands run high priced.

However, once you see something look for the best price or a coupon or a sale on last year's color selection.

These are highly specialized fabrics.

However, nearly every outdoor sports demands this.

I will see if I turn up more examples.

Here are more:

Inov-8 is a reputable brand with desireable features at a good price.
    http://www.wiggle.com/inov-8-race-el...z-ss15/#footer

Here is a Windstopper jacket always worth finding.
    http://www.wiggle.com/adidas-superno...r-jacket-ss15/

Here is a hoodie from a highly reputable brand.
    http://www.wiggle.com/salomon-fast-wing-hoodie-aw14/

Like that.

When ordering online, find out their exchange policy, because you need to try it on, etc. If you pay return postage, that's not so bad. Some business will even send a Merchandise Return with the product.
    Last edited by Connie; 02-19-2015 at 00:51.

Food for though on the beathability of the Houdini vs Ghost Whisperer
    https://www.prolitegear.com/site/win...nce-tests.html

I saw the Houdini at REI. Amazingly light, but I wondered what I would use it for. Do you use it instead of a long sleeve tee shirt? For that it might be worth it -- it would save about 5 oz. But if it's just a wind breaker, I think I'd use my Precip. By the way, the only size on sale is Medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    I saw the Houdini at REI. Amazingly light, but I wondered what I would use it for. Do you use it instead of a long sleeve tee shirt? For that it might be worth it -- it would save about 5 oz. But if it's just a wind breaker, I think I'd use my Precip. By the way, the only size on sale is Medium.
    For 3 season hiking I use it as an active outer layer to block wind and chill while still being breathable while hiking or taking the chill off during cool mornings in otherwise warm weather. I'm comfy on the trail with a light weight base layer and the houdini down to 40 or so. Often times lower as I hike hot. It beats putting on a puffy or fleece layer as I always over heat in those eventually. For winter I use it as a layering piece to trap warmth and cut the amount the cold air makes it through my insulation. For example for winter hiking I'll wear a base layer, a fleece hoodie, and then the houdini while hiking. I'll put my main insulation layers on top of that when at camp. It is a really versatile piece if you want it to be. Not everyone agrees on that however. Some people swear by windshirts and use them like I do and some people think it is silly to not just multi purpose your rain shell. I tried it and it is now an integral part of my layering system for all seasons. YMMV.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++