WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I think part of the problem is folks wanting to much, having their cake and eating it too. DWR seems to be eating away some of the performance a windshell is designed for. I think I read somewhere that as the HH goes up on a lot of these products the CFM goes down. The most I want my windshirt to do is shed some dew, I'm not interested in it keeping me dry from storm clouds, but so many people nowadays seem to think they should be usable for both wind and rain that companies are trying to fulfill their desires.

At least that's what I seem to be noticing, I could be reading it completely wrong.

I don't think people understand what the layers are for.

If one fabric would do it all, we would have it.

If only two, then two.

But it doesn't work that way, not for outdoor activities it doesn't.

The wisdon for outdoor clothing, for most people, starts with "cotton kills" meaning don't hike in blue jeans: they get wet and stay wet and cold.

Next, dress in layers. It was never simple to get that right.

Rain? What rain? Mist. Downpour.

Cold? What cold? Dry cold. Cold and wet.

There is also the consideration of your metabolism: do you feel cold, no matter what?

There is consideration of having had food and water.

If we just did the layers right for what the layers are meant for, we can be quite comfortable out-of-doors. I am.

How do I achieve it? I actually try out layers that should work well to find the layers that do work well.

Does everyone carry a wind jacket and a rain jacket? Or just one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Dholmblad View Post
    depends on the conditions. i like a rain jacket for extra warmth. if it won't be really cold i'll just stick with my poncho tarp. i almost always bring my wind shirt. i always bring some form of rain protection.

Quote Originally Posted by jawnzee View Post
    depends on the conditions. i like a rain jacket for extra warmth. if it won't be really cold i'll just stick with my poncho tarp. i almost always bring my wind shirt. i always bring some form of rain protection.
    Agree, I alway's bring the Windshirt and Rain Protection - in my Case, Marmot Precip Rain Jacket. I also use the cheaper Windshirt over my more expensive UL Down Jacket in Camp during cold.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by Dholmblad View Post
    Unless I have an umbrella- someplace around 45* or so is when I switch over. With an umbrella I might go to 35*

When it's chilly enough- you won't sweat out the rain coat. More importantly- when it's chilly enough you can't afford to get wet.
    A windshell will shed light rain for about an hour- mist/spray under an umbrella for longer, heavy rain may cause failure in half hour or less. But you'll get wet eventually. Some can't stand being wet regardless of the temp, so where ever your "switch" is at, almost everyone has a switch point.
    For most, anything above 65* in a rain coat is a sweaty, clammy and uncomfortable experience which negates the rain coat anyway.

A very few do carry both.

Journal Entries

Windshells are over hyped.
    Especially in a high humidity environment like the AT.
    And even in other places.

Ive never said to myself, " if only i had my wind jacket...."

Its a bit like owning a convertible.
    If you live in southern california, it might be great most days.
    If you live in Georgia, it might be great 5 days out of the year.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-03-2015 at 21:09.

There are probably more situations out West where a wind shirt is useful, but I've found tons of uses for them here in the East also. It's more of a 3 season piece whereas you could literally where a wind shirt all times of year in a place like the Sierras.

Ryan

Images

Whoah so I just got a Houdini at REI for almost half price! If you don't mind the golden amber color, its only $48.83 vs the $99 for the more popular colors. Who gives a crap what color it is right? and this yellow ain't bad. its not like it's pink. Worst case I hate it, I'm a member and can take it back...

Now that my order's in, have at peeps!
    https://www.rei.com/product/834586/p...ni-jacket-mens
    note that free shipping is $50 or more so i bought an extra msr mini spike for $2.95 to get me to the free shipping threshold!

(fwiw, i do really like my REI brand rain jacket , it has kept me really dry and warm at $99 with ventable pits, but at $48 and change i couldn't resist getting a houdini to try and go lighter.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Images

also, my REI jacket is 100% waterproof. I've been in several downpour hikes for miles on end and its done its job. How does the Houdini hold up if its not waterproof. Either way im looking forward to trying it out it has such stellar reviews.

I use the brooks men's lsd lite jacket IV

Images

The Houdini arrived today. Fits great, can definitely fit a thinner baselayer under, maybe not 2 unless theyre both super thin but i think my patagonia merino longsleeve is a sufficient underlayer and will not make anything to snug with the Houdini on top. The color is great- its really just gold, not amber. I cannot wait to give it a trial hike in Harper's ferry in 2 weeks! That's just a day hike but then I will truly test it in a multi-day in NY at the end of April. My wife wanted to know why i need ANOTHER jacket! Silly question. She will be wanting one of these too soon I am sure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++