Default Bathing on the trail...

I have found a helpful way to freshen up at the end of the hiking day. I take about 6 oz. of water and place in a freezer bag, propping it up so it won't spill. I have a 3 x3 piece of cloth and Tom's soap that I keep in a re-purposed eye drop container. This little freezer bag wash basin is my salvation when I'm hot, dusty, grimy and stinky.
    It just feels good to get in my sleeping bag a little cleaner than I was. My other favorite is a small piece of deodorant stone. It helps to apply this after bathing and at the beginning of the hiking day. Just passing it on.

Journal Entries

Sounds like a pretty good system.

Images

You can also make a nice wash basin by cutting off the bottom half of a gallon plastic bottle, like a milk jug. I use one to wash up so I can insert or remove my contact lenses. My cook kit (which all fits in my pot) fits into it, so no extra space. And it's almost weightless. The freezer bag is interesting, however. I need to try that.

A 1/2 gallon bottom of milk jug might be better

I like the idea of the ziplock, and have used the milk jug before. Now I just use my cooking pot.

Images

I'd like to just use my pot, but I'm afraid of bits of food residue (like grease) on my fingers, which would then get transferred to the contacts. Unavoidable weight, for my case.

Good point. I don't use contacts so don't have that concern.

Images

Agreed, it's a special case. Contacts can be a pain, but it's a bigger pain not wearing them. Glasses don't really correct my vision very well.

Have you ladies heard of Norwex cloths? I haven't taken it on the trail yet, but I've been trial running it at home. It's a microfiber laced with silver, making it antibacterial, so it's sort of "self cleaning" up to a point! I've really liked mine so far. Hoping it really helps with the trail stink.

I'm male but also like feeling clean, for one thing I sleep better. The zip lock fell over, just couldn't prop it up properly. I'm going to start with a 10 L. 2.8 oz bucket, and the bottom half of a 1/2 gal milk jug. the milk jug for soapy water, the bucket for clean unfiltered water, and drill a bunch of tiny holes in the cap of a smart water bottle cap. The smart water bottle for gatoraide in the day with intact cap, and a hand shower in the evening. The milk jug also gets used after a trip to the privy or cat hole. 3 pieces of 6x6 shamwow 1 to dry with, 1 for soapy water, 3rd for soapy water after the privy. The bucket never gets contaminated with soapy water unless turned inside out. The bucket also gets used for hauling 2 gal. of water to camp, water to filter, put out the camp fire etc. I have also heard of doing some minor laundry tasks in a gal. zip lock, a T shirt, underwear, socks , then rinse several times. I think Sea to Summit does a 10 L. sil nylon version at 1 oz. The bucket packs up less than half the size of a sock

So I use a larger bag water filtration system for camp. I use my pot w/ soap water & my rag to clean up, dishes or my body (separately of course). Then hang my bag up, how high depends on what I'm doing (think a low bear bag set up). Use the hose to rinse down. Take the filter off for showers & back on for drinking & cooking. I just saw a DIY setup on hammaock forums that I will be making soon.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p/106288-Ideas

I use a small plastic margarine container as my sink.

Default bathing

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    You can also make a nice wash basin by cutting off the bottom half of a gallon plastic bottle, like a milk jug. I use one to wash up so I can insert or remove my contact lenses. My cook kit (which all fits in my pot) fits into it, so no extra space. And it's almost weightless. The freezer bag is interesting, however. I need to try that.

Hey Thanks Hikes in Rain,
    I might try the milk container set up. I too, wear contacts and am very careful about using clean hands. The freezer bag seem sturdy enough for me-I am watchful of it and rarely have a spill. I especially like being able to tidy up in privacy!

Images

Hope it helps. I'm going to try the freezer bag and see if it works for me. Not sure; my hands are pretty big, but it might save a little weight if I can make it work. One of the gallon bags, I assume? I know we're only talking fractions of a gram, but it's worth a shot.

Actually, I use the smaller one (pint?). My hands are average-I just dip one hand in with the little cloth....

Images

The smaller one. Hmm... I've got a little time off coming up. Like I said, worth a shot. Thanks, Trish. I'll give it a try, and report back. What the heck, if it doesn't work, there's always the milk jug. Who needs expensive gear??

I think the freezer bag will work fine..

the freezer bag did not work for me, the bottom 1/2 of a 1/2 gal milk jug did.

++ New Posts ++