WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Appalachian Trail of the West? New Mexico lawmakers want to create 500-mile ... - Des

Deseret News

Appalachian Trail of the West? New Mexico lawmakers want to create 500-mile ...
    Deseret News
    Called the Rio Grande Trail, the pathway is envisioned as being similar to the Appalachian Trail or the Continental Divide Trail. Rep. Jeff Steinborn, D-Las Cruces, introduced a bill Thursday to create a commission to define the best routes and reach ...

More...

This is actually not a bad idea. There are already access trails/roads/paths that follow almost the entirety of the Rio Grande. Just a matter of hooking them up and getting permissions. Mosquitoes would be an issue as the river moves slowly much of the year.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

the more trails the better! northern NM is my favorite area in the SW
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

There are currently two routes through New Mexico by Simblissity. Not "official" however.

In the recent past, getting an official designation for a trail has been difficult. It is why the creators of the Hayduke went the way they did.

OTOH, with Wild getting a lot of national press, anything trail related is hot right now. Probably a perfect time to get govt backing and possibly funding.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++