WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Day hike at South Rim

I'm going to the Grand Canyon South Rim to do a day hike and would like some recommendations. I have hiked the AT through the Smoky Mountains so I've hiked 4000ft elevation days but I need to keep this day hike to about 5 or 6 hours due to the fact that most of my family won't be hiking that day but will be at the South Rim.
    I wanted to hike the Arizona Trail as far down as we can and then hike back out. Is there any markers on the trail or landmarks I could hike to before turning around? Is there a better trail with views at the South Rim? I prefer the Arizona trail since it is well known.
    I plan on taking plenty of water and snacks along with head lamps in case we're running a few minutes late.
    Do you have to report to a ranger station even if it's only a day hike?

Garlic
    Images

It's not on the AZT, but on the South Kaibab Trail, Indian Garden and Panorama Point are good destinations for a shorter day hike. You might see California Condors at Panorama Point. It's a good place to veg out for a while. No permits or sign in needed for a day hike.

When are you going? In the next month or so you might want traction devices at top. The trail can get pretty slick in snow.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by atj_Hiker View Post
    I'm going to the Grand Canyon South Rim to do a day hike and would like some recommendations. I have hiked the AT through the Smoky Mountains so I've hiked 4000ft elevation days but I need to keep this day hike to about 5 or 6 hours due to the fact that most of my family won't be hiking that day but will be at the South Rim.
    I wanted to hike the Arizona Trail as far down as we can and then hike back out. Is there any markers on the trail or landmarks I could hike to before turning around? Is there a better trail with views at the South Rim? I prefer the Arizona trail since it is well known.
    I plan on taking plenty of water and snacks along with head lamps in case we're running a few minutes late.
    Do you have to report to a ranger station even if it's only a day hike?
    Let's start with your last question first. You don't need a permit for a day hike so you don't need to stop at the ranger station (other than when you enter the park).

If it is your first trip to the Grand Canyon, I recommend hiking the Bright Angel Trail to Indian Garden. If you are feeling good at that point, you may want to hike on to Panorama Point on the Tonto Trail.

I meet a lot of people who hike to the Colorado River and back but you can't do that in "5 or 6 hours." Count on it taking twice as long to hike out as it does to hike in.

If you prefer the Arizona Trail which is the South Kaibab Trail, that isn't a bad choice; however, I don't agree with your reasoning that "it is well known." The Bright Angel Trail and the South Kaibab Trail are equally well known. You won't be alone on either trail. If your family will be on the South Rim waiting for you, they can watch you on the Bright Angel Trail, but won't be able to watch you on the South Kaibab. If you do decide to hike the South Kaibab Trail, the "Tip Off" will be a good turn around point.
    Shutterbug

Forgot to mention that I will be there March 25th or 26th. One of my boys will be hiking with me. I was assuming the snow would be gone by then. I will keep an eye on that now that you mentioned it. Both of these posts give me a lot to start researching for now. Thanks.

Forgot to mention that I will be there March 25th or 26th. One of my boys will be hiking with me. I was assuming the snow would be gone by then. I will keep an eye on that now that you mentioned it. Both of these posts give me a lot to start researching for now. Thanks.
    I will be there the first part of that week. My wife and I will be hiking down the Bright Angel Trail to the Bright Angel Campground on Monday. On Tuesday, we will hike to Ribbon Falls and back to Phantom Ranch. On Wednesday, we will hike back to the South Rim on the South Kaibab Trail.

Those who told you that the trails will be clear may be right. Most years that is right, but some years snow continues much later. Four years ago, I got caught in a snow storm the last week of March. The trail had about 4 inches of snow by the time I got to the top. It is always wise to carry traction devices during the spring.

There is a lot of good information available on line. I have a memo that I share with people who plan to hike the Grand Canyon. If you want a copy, pm your email address. I have hiked to the bottom more than 30 times.
    Shutterbug

I have hiked both. The South Kaibab trail was by far my favorite. It is much less groomed and touristy in my opinion. It also had nicer views. However do remember it is easy going down. Coming out is a whole lot harder. If you have six hours, hike two hours down and turn back. It will likely take you four to get out. It will be coldest at the top and get warmer as you go. The South Kaibab trail has no water so pack that. Have fun.

Journal Entries
    Images

I walked South Kaibab down to the river and then back up Bright Angel for a really long but epic hike a few years ago. I'm still proud of the feat. Best to do it in the cooler months. Seems it's a 17 mile trip, but again so worth it.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Two years ago, I came from the east coast and went all the way down the bright angel trail in 4 hours. The next day it took 9.5 hours back up. I did it in the middle of August. Definitely don't under estimate the trip back up.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Along the lines of what Shutterbug and Vthinker77 are saying... simply do not hike down into the canyon for more than two hours to leave yourself 4 hours to get back out (1-1/2 hours if you MUST be back out in 5 hours).

South Kaibab trail is the prettier of the two hikes, but you'll have to allow extra time to take the bus out to the trail head and back.

I like Shutterbug's suggestion of hiking to Indian Garden and trying for Panorama Point (I assume he means Plateau Point as listed on the GC Corridor Brochure: http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...ure_poster.pdf). But that's more than a 12 mile round trip hike. Unless you're a particularly strong hiker, I don't think you're going to have the time... or at the very least you might be constantly pushed for time.

So all things considered, I would suggest that you hike South Kaibab down to Skeleton Point and back. That's only 6 miles round trip, the views will be nicer, and most important, I don't think you'll be pushed for time. That way you can better enjoy the time you do spend in the canyon rather than having to constantly look at your watch.

Images

Another good option is a hike down the Hermit Trail to either Santa Maria spring or Dripping Springs. Or hike down the Grand View Trail for as couple of hours and turn around. Grand View is very strenuous, Hermit is moderate.

Talk with the Rangers at the visitor center or backcountry office. If all the ice is gone, I would recommend the South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge or Skeleton Point. If the top of the main trails off the rim are still icy, the Hermit Trail will be free of ice as it is in the sun. The South Rim of the Grand Canyon received several inches of new snow last week. I have seen snow there as late as May.

I've never hiked with traction shoes. If I decide to do that, how much does that slow you down?
    I think the math for hiking uphill taking twice as long is a good estimate. I have hiked 3000ft elevation uphill with 35lb and with 5lbs. I flew up the hill with 5lbs. I plan on keeping this trip lite.
    I'm favoring the South Kaibab Trail to Skeleton Point. 6 miles round trip should be easy enough to do and still have time to enjoy the views. I'll keep Hermit Trail in my back pocket incase South Kaibab Trail is icy and I don't want to have to use traction shoes.

I've never hiked with traction shoes. If I decide to do that, how much does that slow you down?
    I think the math for hiking uphill taking twice as long is a good estimate. I have hiked 3000ft elevation uphill with 35lb and with 5lbs. I flew up the hill with 5lbs. I plan on keeping this trip lite.
    I'm favoring the South Kaibab Trail to Skeleton Point. 6 miles round trip should be easy enough to do and still have time to enjoy the views. I'll keep Hermit Trail in my back pocket incase South Kaibab Trail is icy and I don't want to have to use traction shoes.
    I've hiked w/ Microspikes in the Grand Canyon on several occasions in March. The upper section of the trail (S. Kaibab & Bright Angel) have the problem w/ ice. You slip on the Microspikes and hike normally. The only thing I've had to watch is that I don't shuffle my feet. You'll catch the spikes on the ground. Depending on the conditions, you'll probably only need them for a 1/2 M or so. Maybe a little bit more.

I've hike down Hermit Trail twice in March. I only hit some snow once (about 50' worth). Didn't bother putting on the Microspikes (level path & it wasn't very icy). A day hike to Santa Maria Springs makes a nice out & back hike.

Enjoy the Grand Canyon. I'm headed back for my 14th trek in a couple of weeks.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

The South Kaibab is the Arizona Trail, not the Bright Angel. It is steeper with no water. In the winter the water may be turned off on the Bright Angel. Check with the rangers. Regardless, carry twice the water you think you need.

I wanted to thank everyone for the information. It helped to make it a safe hike!
    We didn't start hiking until noon which only allowed for 6 hours. We only carried 4 bottles of water. Our rule was no more than 2 hours in and no more than one bottle of water down since there were no water stations.
    We made it 1/2 mile past Tip Off on the South Kaibab Trail. Only 2 miles from the bottom. It was a strange feeling coming out because we've always hiked mountains and the last part is always easy. This was backwards from what we've done. My boy is very lean and ran out of water 1 mile from the top. We had enough food but should have carried one more bottle. He made it out fine but the temps at the rim were 30-65 degrees. I don't know what the temps were at Tip Off but I can't imagine hiking this in the summer time. We got out about 5:30p.
    It was a 10 mile hike with about 3500ft elevation and 5.5hours. Very much worth it!
    Something my boy & I will never forget.

++ New Posts ++