WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Collegiate Loop western half

Hi all, I'm planning on doing the Collegiate Loop this summer, and looking at the maps it appears there aren't a whole lot of resupply options on the western side. I have someone who will bring me a box in Tincup, but looking at the map book, I'm not sure where the best place to drop down off the trail will be.

Suggestions from anyone who has done a resupply at Tincup? I'll probably be doing the loop clockwise, so I'd be approaching from the south.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Ps: buy the latitude 40 map, it shows everything and is easier to understand than the map book. Just IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    Ps: buy the latitude 40 map, it shows everything and is easier to understand than the map book. Just IMO.
    Ah, good to know, thanks.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

The option of resupplying in Tincup might require using the pre-2014 Collegiate West. At Texas Creek, the rerouted CW takes a route up Texas Creek and then toward Cottonwood Pass on the continental divide. The rerouted CW then stays close to the divide until Tincup Pass Road. There would be a substantial backtrack to get to Tincup at that point based on what I see on my Latitude 40 map. The only motorized traffic I noted on Tincup Pass road were ATVs and not sure whether hitching is possible with ATVs... The pre-2014 CW takes a lower elevation route to the west of the divide and Tincup can be reached via Willow Creek Road.

The rerouted CW from Cottonwood Pass to Tincup Pass road was my favorite section of the entire Colorado Trail so I wouldn't suggest using the older lower elevation option. If a resupply in the middle of the CW is essential, perhaps look into whether people have luck hitching from Cottonwood Pass. It is a paved road with some traffic. There were people at the overlook area when I was there and I suspect a ride down to Buena Vista might be possible but I cannot say so for sure. The road does continue to the west of the divide toward Taylor Park but becomes unpaved and I noticed most cars seemed to stay on the pavement.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

The Monarch Crest Store on HW50 is still on the rerouted CW isn't it? I don't have my maps with me but looking at Mags' guide it's 32 miles from the Tincup resupply point. Could be a possibility for you?

Monarch Crest Store is directly on trail and they do hold packages and appeared hiker friendly when I was there. But it sounded like the OP was looking for a resupply stop between US 50 and Twin Lakes although I could be wrong about that.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

There is a small store and some lodging at St. Elmo, a few miles east of where the trail crosses Tincup Road. You might check with them to see if they will hold a box for you.

Yes, I was specifically looking for an inconvenient-as-possible resupply option somewhere in the middle of the western part of the loop. Since I will be packing with someone who can hike just fine but has problems carrying a lot of pack weight, I will be carrying most of the weight for us both, and so would rather have frequent resupply options if possible.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far!

++ New Posts ++