WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have some nylon thin cord and I'm taking anywhere from 50 to 75 feet. I figure shoelaces, tent tie-downs, bear hangs, and whole slew of other uses if I need it. Doesn't weigh that much so better to have too much then not enough, I guess.

make my living as a brick-block-stone Mason, what we do is set up poles on each end of the walls we are running,for plum and level, and then stretch the masonry string very tight,from one end to the other, so there is no sag. you mark the poles for height so you know how thick to run each course.and then lay brick to the line,usually called a speed lead, so you dont have to use the level all the time. but when the line gets wet it has a tendency to snap. some masons will leave lines up over night, but if it rains and they show up to wet lines, usually it is replaced before the day begins. it is very dangerous and painful when that line snaps you on the arm or in the face. over time i suppose the line rots a little. i always carried the 50' para cord, thought it was lite enough and good stuff. gave some footage away a few times for hikers in need, some times for dog leashes

http://www.loopalien.com/ sells some Dyneema cord at $0.24/foot that I've purchased for bear bag line, clothes kind, etc.

Stronger and lighter than 550 cord, might be an option for you.

Images

dont barebag - thats ultrafast. ursack minor keeps the critters out. Tie it tight around a tree trunk or just sleep with it. Bears aren't a real threat on the AT, just mice and raccoon. I dont worry about it exceptions

Take the 50 ft. and just get a haircut before you go...problem solved.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Hmm.. maybe I need to rethink what I'm doing. I don't know the measurement of how much I carry but I"m pretty sure it's less than 10' of Dynaglide. Shoestrings, guy line repair/replace... I don't hang my food. I guess I just always figure I can manage until I hit a town.

Garlic: How much do you carry?
    I carry the 50' length minus a few cuts I've made for shoestrings/guy line repair etc. I have several hanks, one in each pack including bicycle panniers, and none is the full 50' any more.

I still hang out of habit because it's a two minute chore, faster if I'm with Pickle who has a fantastic arm and rope skills (he taught me how to manage cord so it will not tangle). And my paracord has literally saved at least one life, when I was on a long backcountry ski tour (the 10th Mt Commando Run from Vail Pass to Vail Village) with a group and we fixed a broken cable binding with it. That took nearly 50' (and made a great MacGyver story). I've also used the full 50' when a tent pole broke and I used trees to support my shelter from above.

It's a couple ounces of peace of mind for me. Like Rocketsocks says, I'll lose the weight elsewhere. It's probably funny that I'd rather have a piece of string than a stove, but it's true.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Another vote for 2.2mm Zing-It. Lighter than 550 paracord. Use it for my tarp continuous ridgeline(25'), 4 six foot hanks for the corner tarp tie downs, 8' piece to tie my pack to a tree, and a spare 50' for emergencies or tying up a bear bag.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've carried 40' of Dyneema for my last 5 section hikes (in addition to what is on my tarp). I've only strung up a clothesline once or twice, so it is mainly for bearbagging and emergencies.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Then why are you getting involved in the discussion?
    He asked how much cord he should carry. It was implied in my answer that he doesn't need to carry any. I was answering the question...something that you have not done. Why did YOU get involved other than to berate someone else?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Section Hiker

I needed every bit of my 50' for a couple bear bag hangs last summer. If you're hanging your food, I'd take the 50. I also like paracord for it, not the real big stuff but thinner--I forget the number; it doesn't cut into the trees (or your fingers) like some of the smaller stuff.

I also carry 10-20 feet of something from Zpacks (small and light) for clothesline or whatever. VERY handy.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

I switched from paracord to the Dynaglide a while back and love it. It is much easier to use than the paracord, which always kinked. I have 50 feet. But was thinking of cutting it down to 40, maybe 35 feet. I use PCT bear bag method, and if you use a 15 ft high branch, then all you need is 30 feet. The extra 10-15 feet of cord always gets in the way. The Dynaglide is so light that it's not really about weight savings, but about easier function when bearbagging.

BTW, I've never hung a clothes line. I used to hang my clothes on branches. But AT campsights are usually so humid that nothing ever really dries out. So I just wear my hiking clothes around camp until my body heat dries them out.

I carry 50 feet. Enough for the biggest trees

I used 50ft for years and years but quickly realized that I never use all of it... ever. Lat trip I cut down to 30ft.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I use about 30 ft for hanging my food bag

Journal Entries

I always have 50 ft and I've never needed it all. But, I enjoy having the extra because I know I'd use it for extra fly lines if needed. Could probably be fine with 30 but the extra 20 is just insurance for me I guess.

Journal Entries

45.855743 ft.

I'm gonna bring 50 ft. of Dyna glide for bear bagging, and 50 ft. of masons line (o.6 oz) for clothes line, etc. If you are fretting over 1/2 oz of wt. you're missing out on the enjoyment of the hike.
    Get real, get a life, get a real life!!!!!

Now, Im in a country where we dont have bears, So I never carry cord for bearbagging or whatever, but I carry my stock of precut tarp lines that mean I have enough cord to put up my tarp no matter the situation, as well as having a bit spare. I worked it out and I carry about 26m (85 feet), but much of that is as shelter guylines. Honestly, Ive never found myself wanting for cord. Then again, I could probably cut down a bit and still be comfortable with how much Im carrying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++