WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Qulit Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by CCCCAT View Post
    After much research and with the help of this thread, just now took the plunge and ordered an Enlightened Equipment Revelation, 30F deg, 800 DownTek GDD, Short. Just 15.82 ounces! Yahoo!! Hopefully it will get here by early - mid April.

I forgot to ask them about the straps. I'm be sleeping in my tent, and using this as a quilt on my bed at home. Do the straps make much difference?
    The straps definitely make a difference. I have the 20* Revelation. The straps allow you to keep you and your quilt attached to your pad. The straps are very adjustable, so on cold nights you can adjust the quilt to keep the sides tucked under you. You'll see when you get the quilt!

Journal Entries
    Images

Gray Bear,

I asked them that very same questions, 850 or 800. They said 30F 800 will keep you just as warm as 30F 850, didn't make that much difference. So, I went with the cheaper price. My $0.02. If you're on the fence, just ask them and they'll help you decide. I called them.

I think I'll go with the 10d also Danger Dave.

Unless you do a lot of cowboy camping- no reason not to trust a 10d fabric.
    If you go synthetic- it doesn't matter much at all- if you get a nick in it the insulation won't spill out.
    Even in down, if you select a 10d with a ripstop grid a serious tear is pretty rare.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Bear View Post
    Thats awesome! now the wait begins.

hopefully, I'll be ordering mine tomorrow. Im looking at 30* reg/wide. Im trying to decide between the 800 and 850. The weight savings is less than .75 oz and its another $85, enough for my 8x10 tarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCCAT View Post
    Gray Bear,

I asked them that very same questions, 850 or 800. They said 30F 800 will keep you just as warm as 30F 850, didn't make that much difference. So, I went with the cheaper price. My $0.02. If you're on the fence, just ask them and they'll help you decide. I called them.
    800 is generally recognized as the best all around down.
    Higher lofting down loses more loft due to humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    800 is generally recognized as the best all around down.
    Higher lofting down loses more loft due to humidity.
    Thanks. I've made my decision. I'm going with EE ( I like the zipper over the snaps on the HG) Reg/wide 30* with the 800FP.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

EE is the way to go. great CS, great products. just got the revolt elite. i went all in. 20 degree, 950hdd, with 20d on outside, 19.6 oz! love it! they have the lightest quilts available. thanks EE!

I'm curious what the range of a 30* quilt will realistically be. at some point I'll be picking up down pants and I m wondering if a merino base with the down pants will get me into the 15* range. on the other end I'm thinking this may take me right through he summer in the Whites as well. Could this be my three season solution?
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

I pulled the trigger last night. I am looking to testing out the quilt in April when it arrives.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks. I've made my decision. I'm going with EE ( I like the zipper over the snaps on the HG) Reg/wide 30* with the 800FP.
    Great! Keep us posted re. your order status, when you get it, how you like it, etc. Share the good news with us. I'll be sharing my info too. Can't wait!

Does anyone know what the difference between the wide and extra wide is?

Does anyone know what the difference between the wide and extra wide is?
    Found the info I was looking for Wide is 58" and X Wide is 64". I'd pick up another 2 oz with the XW. Why is it so easy to pickup more weight and so expensive/hard to loose it?

I'm on the fence on what to get. I'm 6'1" and 255#. The guy I spoke with says go XW but my WM Alpinlite is 65" and its roomy so I'm wondering if I really need the XW if I don't have of that material under me. I don't want to second guess the guy who does this for a living and end up with a drafty quilt that's a bit to small but apparently I'm turning into a bit of a gram weenie 'cuz that 2 oz is really bugging me. Any guys out there that are on the bigger size with some input for me?

Found the info I was looking for Wide is 58" and X Wide is 64". I'd pick up another 2 oz with the XW. Why is it so easy to pickup more weight and so expensive/hard to loose it?

I'm on the fence on what to get. I'm 6'1" and 255#. The guy I spoke with says go XW but my WM Alpinlite is 65" and its roomy so I'm wondering if I really need the XW if I don't have of that material under me. I don't want to second guess the guy who does this for a living and end up with a drafty quilt that's a bit to small but apparently I'm turning into a bit of a gram weenie 'cuz that 2 oz is really bugging me. Any guys out there that are on the bigger size with some input for me?
    If in doubt, size up. That's the rule of thumb being followed.

But your logic is entirely correct- your roomy sleeping bag is 65" in circumference.
    A 58" quilt plus a 20" pad is 78" of coverage. Or basically 5" on either side to help with drafts.
    In reality you should need less, in practice... that's kinda up to you.
    Some people really thrash around and need the extra length on the sides to stop drafts.
    Some people are good at rolling over carefully and don't wake up or draft too much.

Get a friend, cross your arms, and have them measure your circumference for you- this is a more accurate number to use than your sleeping bag.
    It's probably about 60" but that number will give you a decent worse case. For fun while your helper is handy- put your arms to your sides and have them measure again. When it's really chilly you can "tuck in" to give yourself more room.

You can also lay on your pad on the ground, and have your helper drape a tape over you while you side sleep- but that number should be close to the crossed arm number.

Thanks Bill. I had my wife measure me last night, hands by my side I'm 58" around the middle at my elbows. Looks like I'm going XW. I'll have to find the 2 oz somewhere else. I don't want to wait 5 weeks to find out I screwed my self over 2 oz. I'm still losing almost a pound (15 oz.) over my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    If in doubt, size up. That's the rule of thumb being followed.

But your logic is entirely correct- your roomy sleeping bag is 65" in circumference.
    A 58" quilt plus a 20" pad is 78" of coverage. Or basically 5" on either side to help with drafts.
    In reality you should need less, in practice... that's kinda up to you.
    Some people really thrash around and need the extra length on the sides to stop drafts.
    Some people are good at rolling over carefully and don't wake up or draft too much.

Get a friend, cross your arms, and have them measure your circumference for you- this is a more accurate number to use than your sleeping bag.
    It's probably about 60" but that number will give you a decent worse case. For fun while your helper is handy- put your arms to your sides and have them measure again. When it's really chilly you can "tuck in" to give yourself more room.

You can also lay on your pad on the ground, and have your helper drape a tape over you while you side sleep- but that number should be close to the crossed arm number.

Trigger pulled! Revelation 30 inbound!

Hey everyone,
    After reading this thread inside and out a few times, I'm also ready to pull to pull the trigger on an EE 20 degree revelation quilt. This is my largest backpacking purchase to date so I was hoping one of y'all could kindly help me with a few questions I have...

1) From what I've gathered, the idea color set up would be a lighter color on the outside shell for visibility at night, and a dark color on the inside to help the quilt dry faster in the event that it gets wet. Does that sound right?
    2) I plan on getting the 20D outer because I prefer a slightly more durable outer and don't care about the extra 1.5oz of weight. Will the 20D affect the weather resistance or drying ability of the quilt?

3) I plan to get the regular 800FP down because the treated down, while being more expensive, is also more clump-prone. Is this correct?
    4) I cannot for the life of me figure out what the weather resistance stripes are. Can anyone help?

Thank you so much for your responses!

Your color selection sounds reasonable. I went with two darker colors but I think as long as you have a lest one side to soak up the sunshine you're good.

My understanding is the 20D is a bit more durable, more moisture resistant and slightly heavier and a bit less breathable therefore it may take a bit longer to dry.

I went with the 800 as well. When I spoke with them I got the impression the 850 and 900 were for folks who were trying to squeeze out every ounce they could.

The stripes are for folks who went with the 10D shell and want a little more moisture protection and the foot and head of the quilt where they are most likely to come in contact with condensation or water vapor from exhaling on the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfbomb View Post
    Hey everyone,
    After reading this thread inside and out a few times, I'm also ready to pull to pull the trigger on an EE 20 degree revelation quilt. This is my largest backpacking purchase to date so I was hoping one of y'all could kindly help me with a few questions I have...

1) From what I've gathered, the idea color set up would be a lighter color on the outside shell for visibility at night, and a dark color on the inside to help the quilt dry faster in the event that it gets wet. Does that sound right?
    2) I plan on getting the 20D outer because I prefer a slightly more durable outer and don't care about the extra 1.5oz of weight. Will the 20D affect the weather resistance or drying ability of the quilt?

3) I plan to get the regular 800FP down because the treated down, while being more expensive, is also more clump-prone. Is this correct?
    4) I cannot for the life of me figure out what the weather resistance stripes are. Can anyone help?

Thank you so much for your responses!

I am not having any experience of clumping. Perhaps that was right out of the 1 oz. bag purchase before stuffing: Just Bill does DIY/MYOG.

I have 850-fill treated down I found out is sourced Hungarian down. I couldn't be more pleased with this Hammock Gear Burrow 20 with this down and 10D argon fabric and I have had 900-fill Brooks-Range Elephant Foot and Mont Bell UL Super Spiral and Sierra Designs 300 "Perfect".

The "heavier" fabric is a different experience: there will be gaps for pockets of air between you and the sleeping bag. The 10D argon nestles around you, a different experience entirely: there is no need to warm air gaps between you and the sleeping bag because there are no air-gaps. In addition, I have had no problem of "drafts" because 1. The size is right for me, and, 2. the entire sleeping quilt nestles around me.

I do have a Titanium Goat Bug Bivy for "cowboy camping" I thought I would need to keep the slerping quilt tucked in around me. It does that, and, it provides a tough ground cloth.

I take care of all my gear, so 10D is not different from my other lightweight gear.

Now, your experience might be different. I recall the "objections" to the Mont Bell UL Super Spiral down sleeping bag "nestling" around close. The fabric was reasonably lightweight and the elastic helped that effect some people didn't like.

I realise I just don't like the confining feeling of a sleeping bag; I prefer a sleeping quilt because I can move around more easily, immediately falling back asleep.

I would say, these are the "issues" for your preference, adding only if you are tough on your gear 30D isn't enough.

So tomorrow will be 4 weeks since I ordered my quilt from EE. they estimated 4-5 weeks. I just checked up on my order and I noticed they are out to 6 weeks on new orders for down. I cant wait! Christmas in April!

So tomorrow will be 4 weeks since I ordered my quilt from EE. they estimated 4-5 weeks. I just checked up on my order and I noticed they are out to 6 weeks on new orders for down. I cant wait! Christmas in April!
    I just ordered a new TQ and it was a toss up between EE and HG. Since I have a trip planned in early May, the deciding factor became the delivery time. Expect to have a new Burrow in just a couple of weeks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++