WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Sleeping bag / quilt

Assuming July 15th start in GNP would you recommend:

1. 20* WM down bag
    2. 35* WM down bag
    3. 40* EE synthetic quilt

These are the 3 I'm considering. The 40 degree quilt is a long shot and not really in the running but I wanted to include it. Really I'm torn between the 35 and 20 down bags. I sleep warm and will have silk thermals, wool beanie, dry socks, down jacket, rain shell, etc. for added warmth if necessary.

Looking at gear lists of CDT hikers 20* bags seem to be the norm but as I'm chunk hiking only half the trail instead of thru hiking I'm thinking maybe I can skate with my 35* bag. Or not.

In Glacier all the campsites were next to glacier feed lakes so it got pretty chilly at night. Your right next to 40 degree water. But I had my general purpose 32* degree bag which was fine. 20 is probably overkill, even if you camp at elevation while the 40 is probably a bit marginal so go middle of the road.

I was expecting cool and wet conditions but found it to be hot and dry. The very dry air lets you skimp on the bag rating some. I found that true the summer I wandered around Yellowstone and the Tetons, some (many) years back.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This much difference in temperatures is why I opt for a sleeping quilt, bug bivy and tarp.

Many people used to opt for a 15 F sleeping bag to get reasonable warmth down to the 20's. Then, have a "summer" sleeping bag usually left opened up.

Now, we have other options.

I think you might consider a sleeping quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    This much difference in temperatures is why I opt for a sleeping quilt, bug bivy and tarp.

Many people used to opt for a 15 F sleeping bag to get reasonable warmth down to the 20's. Then, have a "summer" sleeping bag usually left opened up.

Now, we have other options.

I think you might consider a sleeping quilt.
    Agree.
    My down quilt works in all kinds of temps - had it down to under 21F with a liner. And, mine works as a top quilt when I am hammocking. And it only weighs 19 oz.

Just picked up my first EE quilt. I love it. Can't wait to try it out in GNP this April. Also picked up a Cuben fiber tarp this winter and I can't wait to use it too.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

During my research, people told me that the CDT is a colder trail than the PCT. Keep in mind that the CDT averages a higher elevation then the PCT.

The CDT can go to much lower temperatures, at any time. There you are, warm. Sudden temperature drop for rain, a "summer" sleeping bag is insufficient.

It is my experience the 20 F sleeping quilt is the most versatile, however, you will need to watch weather radar for incomming weather. It can be worse. That is why I have clothing that works for sleeping, as well. That means, no hard shell: it stops from warming the sleeping quilt or sleeping bag layer.

VBL is for severe cold.

A gear list from the 2014 Great Divide Bike ride. Start: Early June in Banff, Albeta. The first couple weeks were cold, wet, rain, snow, etc. Val carried a 35 degree WM Highlite and a down sweater. I don't see any complaints about the bag being insufficient. However, she finished in under a month.
    http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com...1_archive.html
    The rest of the story:
    http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com...&max-results=4

I am currently shopping for a bag to be used in the Rockies. My preferred months are August through early October. The WM Ultralite or Alpinlite are at the top of my list. I just need to decide if the Ultralite is roomy enough for my current skinny frame. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Wayne
    Visiting the North Carolina High Country at the end of the month.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm now leaning towards my 35* WM bag. I'll be using my floorless Duomid so I'll have a bivy with me that should help some and I'll also have some layers I can wear if I need to add some warmth.

I'm planning on using my ULA Ohm 2.0 pack for this hike so weight and packability are real issues.

Since I wrote Post #8 I made an impulse purchase. #3 on my short list of bags: The North Face Hightail 3s. I surmised that the Hightail 3s had been discontinued. When I saw the replacement: the Superlight 15 (YUCK!) I scored the last regular length Hightail 3s at Moosejaw.
    We shall see if I keep it or trade it for a WM bag. I await your thoughts on your 35 degree WM bag. Small and light may be what I need as well.
    Standing by.

Wayne
    Looking forward to testing a new sleeping bag near the AT soon.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Update:
    Hightail 3S returned.
    I just bought a WM Alpinlite. Testing it tonight. Forecast low: 19F.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Is it for a thruhike, or section hike? It can get below freezing in Montana and the Winds in July and August. You'll be hiking at 9000'+. it will definitely be below freezing in September in Colorado. On our SOBO hike I used a 10 degree bag the whole way. NOBO I used a 20 degree bag until mid-September, then switched to a 5 degree bag, and was very happy I did. Jim had a 20 degree bag on our SOBO hike until mid-September and switched to a 5 degree bag a few days after our first serious snow storm.

I recommend a 20 degree down quilt. I have an Underground Quilts Flightjacket and love it. I weighs 24 ounces and, with a compression sack, stuffs down to 5 liters. Since you're a ground sleeper (like me) I also recommend the pad attachment system that UGQ sells.

Images

I'd go with the WM Ultralite 20F bag. I used this on the CO trail and on my last section of the CDT (Helena to Chief Mtn) and was happy with it. Never too hot. My hiking partner for the final 2 weeks of my nobo thru in late Aug 2012 had a 10F WM bag and was happy with it as well. I think you might find the 35F WM bag a bit chilly now and then.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Garlic
    Images

Another vote for the 20F bag. I remember snow squalls in the Wind River range in August, and plenty of prolonged freezing nighttime temps all summer in the high country. I carried my Marmot Helium 15, and there was only a week or two in there I felt it was too warm.

++ New Posts ++