Images

Default Cruisin' the Florida Trail!

Gee I was walking the FT near Salt Springs today and along comes a mountain biker southbound! He said he was going to ride the FT "all the way to the Glades". When I informed him that the trail was closed to bikes he said he didn't know that. Which is hard to believe since every road crossing says just that. He said he started in Fargo Georgia and said he "was getting delirious". I guess we should have been shocked but we just saw a guy driving thru the woods and nowhere near a road. He was just blazing a new path! So keep your eyes peeled for bikes and cars. Apple

Images

Another 2 mountain bikes went thru today. They said they were in the "Cross Florida Bike Race".

If justice prevails the idiots will be fined just like the lawbreaker caught bicycling recently on the Ocean-to-Lake Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by manzana View Post
    Gee I was walking the FT near Salt Springs today and along comes a mountain biker southbound! He said he was going to ride the FT "all the way to the Glades". When I informed him that the trail was closed to bikes he said he didn't know that. Which is hard to believe since every road crossing says just that. He said he started in Fargo Georgia and said he "was getting delirious". I guess we should have been shocked but we just saw a guy driving thru the woods and nowhere near a road. He was just blazing a new path! So keep your eyes peeled for bikes and cars. Apple
    If he was planning to follow the FT south he would have to go across Juniper Prairie Wilderness Area, bikes are not allowed in wilderness areas. On the other hand I have seen blogs where bikers talked about going through Juniper Prairie (on the old woods roads) and these places are posted as such, so they would have to know.

Juniper Prarie already has a fair share of fallen trees to climb over, maybe we need more.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I was camped on Hopkins Prairie Saturday night and a bike came whizzing past me a little after dark. The mosquitos were out in full force (nothing during the day, then a full on swarm at dusk) and I had just gotten in my tent when I saw a light in the distance coming down the trail. I heard the wheels as he got closer and figured out it was a bike.

Might be out at HP this weekend. I'll keep an eye out for rogue bikers.

Images

I've had the same thing happen in the Ocala National Forest. It really pissed me off because I was in a nice peaceful state of mind really enjoying nature when hear someone yelling from behind, "ON YOUR LEFT". I just wanted to throw a hiking stick thru the spokes.

I think I'm going to plant a row of cactus plants right down the trail.......... (just kidding).

Maybe a better way would be to put turn-style posts periodically on the trail and encourage the maintainers to leave the blowdowns in-place, but cut a small slot for the hikers to pass..... or just let the hikers climb over (we need knee excercise in Florida ).

Seriously.... this has become a real annoying issue in many places along the hiking trails.

Images

I was thinking it might be a good idea to snap a quick cell-phone picture of our friends on wheels. Then post them to some site which will be around forever. That might be a deterrent. You can smile and be friendly when you do it so as not to be confrontational.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Dumb question on my part, but are MTBikes prohibited for the entire length of the FT or just the wilderness areas? I looked on the FT site, and did some quick Googling, and did not easily find an answer.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

there is a sign at every crossing in ONF foot travel only. if he ranger were to see someone on a bike on the FT in ONF...............
    they would receive a ticket and their bike would be confiscated. if the ranger was in a bad mood he can arrest you
    and take you to jail. nothing with wheels is aloud on the FT. no horses either not in ONF anyway...............................

THanks for the info about the ONF. But I am honestly curious if the FT allows MTBikes on any part of the trail? I am not looking to start an internet arguement..I simply don't know.

I know The Colorado Trail allows mtbikes except in wilderness area, likewise with the AZT. Curious about the FT?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Dumb question on my part, but are MTBikes prohibited for the entire length of the FT or just the wilderness areas? I looked on the FT site, and did some quick Googling, and did not easily find an answer.
    The entire section of the Florida Trail around Lake Okeechobee on the dike is open to bikes and some of that is open to horses (although about half of that is now closed to both hikers and bikes while under construction).

Parts of the Florida NST that share Rail Trails like the western loop that uses part of the Van Fleet State Trail or the eastern loop that uses the Cross Seminole State Trail are shared with bikes and horses.

The section from Keystone Heights to Lake Butler will share the Palatka to Lake Butler Rail Trail open to bikes and horses when it's finished.

Those are just some off the top of my head.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Much of the trail that passes through Orlando is actually a paved bike path. I guess we could throw in all the road walks also.

Got it..so it is not so much the FT allows bikes, just existing trails (and road walks) that the FT uses. Ones already open to bikes and/or horses that allow non-foot traffic as well.

Thanks for the info. I truly appreciate it.

I'd like to do the FT at some point after talking to people who have done it. Think it would be a nice winter alternative. Plus my Mom is now in Florida (A retired woman from the northeast moving to Florida?!?! Who woulda thunk it! ), so another incentive to get down there and hike.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-26-2015 at 11:16.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

There are some MTB-only trails in ONF. Near Clearwater Lake those trails will criss-cross the FT. You do see some MTB tracks on the FT from time to time especially near the MTB and FT crossings and near campgrounds.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

I'd like to do the FT at some point after talking to people who have done it. Think it would be a nice winter alternative. Plus my Mom is now in Florida (A retired woman from the northeast moving to Florida?!?! Who woulda thunk it! ), so another incentive to get down there and hike.[/QUOTE]

it's a great winter hike. A lot of wildlife. Easy easy resupply. Much colder nights than you might think. We tried to count the gaters but gave up, but don't worry only the 14 footers will be interested in you and they don't eat every day.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Well, I was out there Fri., Sat. Sun and no bikers. Did see a couple of old tracks in the sand but didn't see another soul. It was a perfect weekend to hike, cool temps, low humidity, and no one out.

Images

The Florida National Scenic Trail is designated as a footpath. I am a trail member and have done volunteer hours on the trail it is definitely not meant for bikes, horses or atv's but all are frequently seen on them. There are times when paths for these others cross or combine for a short distance they are usually signed for such usage, but this is not the norm.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

aka Kudzu
    Images

This is why I don't remove every tree that falls across the trail. Helps keep the cyclists at bay.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

++ New Posts ++