WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shortening a down bag

Question for you smart DIYers. I purchased a new with tags REI Flash men's long down bag at the last REI garage sale for 1/4 its normal price. Yay, right? However, I am short so the Flash is quite a bit longer than I need. I was thinking I could essentially take out one or two baffles, then either make small holes in the other baffles and reuse the down, or maybe make down booties or something. I plan to take out the bottom blue baffle (or two) so I don't have to deal with the zipper. This should shave a couple ounces off the weight and make less space for me to heat.

Here's the question - I am a novice sewer. I've used a machine only a couple of times in my life and handsewn stuff maybe 12-15 times. Is this a reasonable project, or am I in way over my head? I've already researched how to control the down, so I'm more concerned about whether I can resew the baffles and still make it look good.

My thought it to cut open the baffles 1/2 in inside the ones I want to remove, take out and store the down, and trim away excess fabric. Then I would resew the baffles together from the inside. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

The short answer is no, I've sewn professionally for a stretch of my life. I can't think of how to cut off a bag and reproduce a foot box. Tearing out a zipper and resetting it and not tearing up the fabric would be impossible. Ask a few custom bag makers. My guess they will turn you down.
    Sell the bag at a reasonable profit and buy something for your size.

Images

I wouldn't attempt what you describe, however, you can make the bag more heat efficient for you without permanent modification. You will still have the same weight, so no savings there.

Zip the bag shut, turn it inside out.
    Tie off the foot end with cord to slightly longer than you require.
    Turn the bag right side out, you now have a shorter bag with the excess material and insulation filling the foot end. A shorter, more efficient bag for you to use.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I wouldn't attempt what you describe, however, you can make the bag more heat efficient for you without permanent modification. You will still have the same weight, so no savings there.

Zip the bag shut, turn it inside out.
    Tie off the foot end with cord to slightly longer than you require.
    Turn the bag right side out, you now have a shorter bag with the excess material and insulation filling the foot end. A shorter, more efficient bag for you to use.
    This is what I've seen before being suggested. This way, you keep the integrity of the bag to sell later.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Do what Lyle said. It will work out fine.

Hmm... Looks like I won't get a chance to stretch my sewing muscles, but I do like the idea of keeping the bag intact to sell later and this will also achieve the same effect as making booties. Thanks everybody!

++ New Posts ++