WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Question about resupply CDT

As I prioritize the concerns I have about my CDT hike I'm finding that resupply has steadily dropped in priority until now it is at the bottom of my list - to the point of not really feeling like I have to stress about it at all.

It doesn't look terribly more difficult than the PCT which was fairly easy. The biggest difference seems to be distance from the trail and being able to catch a hitch into town but as far as distance between resupplies goes about the same.

There look to be 3 legs that will require 5+ days worth of food (Chief Mt to East Glacier, East Glacier to Benchmark Ranch, Atlantic City to Rawlins). Other than that, it looks like at least every 3-4 days there's an opportunity to resupply.

Is this an accurate perception or is there something I'm missing?

I'm also assuming I'll be able to hike fairly close to my daily PCT mileage which was in the mid-20s most days so I guess if I go slower that would change things a bit- at least in terms of pack weight.
    Last edited by 10-K; 03-02-2015 at 09:56.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Try googling "cdt resupply spreadsheet." In 2 seconds, I found a list of mileages and between resupply points.

Also, if you're really worried about carrying more than 3-4 days of food, maybe you should be hiking an easier trail. If you're ready for the CDT, you're ready for whatever the distances are.

Images

The Chief Mtn. to East Glacier section passes near three restaurant/gift shop areas: Many Glacier, St. Mary, and Two Medicine. Depending on the permit package you end up with, you can supplement, or even resupply with junk food, at those locations. In July all services will be operating full bore.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Before (Butte) and after (Leadore) Chief Joseph Pass (Wisdom, or Lost Trail Pass to Darby, Sula or Salmon) are also two of the longest sections on the northern CDT, about 146 and 120 miles respectively. The CDT Mailing Labels page is a quick look resource.

Between Darby, Sula or Salmon, the latter is a real town that was pretty awesome but also the longest hitch on the entire trail

Mmmmmmm Wolf Creek Pass to Silverton in 3-4 days?
    I guess it's doable, but not when snow-covered.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

In the SAn Juans you lose 1-2 hours a day hunkering down to avoid getting nailed by lightning unless you're losing 1-2 hours post holing in snow.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Mmmmmmm Wolf Creek Pass to Silverton in 3-4 days?
    I guess it's doable, but not when snow-covered.
    His plan this year is hiking from Chief Mountain to Rawlins

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

10K, you could just buy Yogi's guide which answers every question you have asked so far.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    10K, you could just buy Yogi's guide which answers every question you have asked so far.
    Saying you could google this or buy that isn't very helpful. He can also get the answers here.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    You don't spend much time on the AT or PCT forums obviously else you would have had a stroke by now.

Seriously though, I like the interactive nature of the forum. FWIW, I do have yogi's guide - thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    The Chief Mtn. to East Glacier section passes near three restaurant/gift shop areas: Many Glacier, St. Mary, and Two Medicine. Depending on the permit package you end up with, you can supplement, or even resupply with junk food, at those locations. In July all services will be operating full bore.
    I was planning on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    You don't spend much time on the AT or PCT forums obviously else you would have had a stroke by now.

Seriously though, I like the interactive nature of the forum. FWIW, I do have yogi's guide - thanks for the tip.
    You should get major points for your diplomacy.

Have a great hike!
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

I agree (with the original post): not a ton of resupply boxes are needed. I originally planned for 6 and later added 2 more.

Why add two more? A primary driver was just the weight of paper I was carrying! This depends on how much you carry in the way of guidebook and map pages, but it can add up to a significant chunk.

My resupply boxes, as a SOBO, were sent to Benchmark Ranch (MT), Leadore (ID), Togwotee Mountain Lodge (MT), South Pass City (WY), Salida (CO), Grand Lake (CO), Ghost Ranch (NM), Pie Town (NM)
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Before (Butte) and after (Leadore) Chief Joseph Pass (Wisdom, or Lost Trail Pass to Darby, Sula or Salmon) are also two of the longest sections on the northern CDT, about 146 and 120 miles respectively. The CDT Mailing Labels page is a quick look resource.
    The CDT Mailing Labels page is a goldmine!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

10k, roughly the same as the PCT is a good assessment. The only caveat I'd add is that you actually want to do a larger carry in The Winds rather than go into Pinedale. The Winds, to me, is the best range in American Rockies that I've seen personally. To spend more time in them and less in town? Awesome...

But, that's just a personal choice.

This guide may also help, too:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0

Save your own copy first.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    10k, roughly the same as the PCT is a good assessment. The only caveat I'd add is that you actually want to do a larger carry in The Winds rather than go into Pinedale. The Winds, to me, is the best range in American Rockies that I've seen personally. To spend more time in them and less in town? Awesome...

But, that's just a personal choice.

This guide may also help, too:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0

Save your own copy first.
    How does that compare to the Kennedy Meadows to VVR without resupply haul?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    How does that compare to the Kennedy Meadows to VVR without resupply haul?
    Not as remote feeling as you do cross roads before and after The Winds itself. OTOH, going from Dubois to South Pass City without resupplying allowed me to enjoy The Winds without breaking up this glorious area. I really felt immersed in this range. I suspect, for me, going into Pinedale, would have ruined this feeling.

It is roughly 170 miles between Dubois and South Pass/Atlantic City, so the carry is not as far either vs the 10 days (including the Whitney side trip) between KM AND VVR.

Both AC and South Pass City are in and out stops, so the experience continued until Rawlins in some ways. By Rawlins, I was ready for some town amenities for sure.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Sounds like a great way to wind up my hike....

I know that you have your mind made up to HALT! at Rawlins, WY. However, if you find that you are ahead of schedule, or need a bit more mountain time, Steamboat Springs, CO seems like a nice place to aim for.

GETTING HERE IS EASY

From April 14th -June 15th that the Hayden (HDN) airport is closed for construction. Please consider ground transportation from Denver International Airport.

This summer and fall, Steamboat will again offer convenient air service directly into the Steamboat/Hayden Airport (HDN), just 30 minutes from downtown Steamboat Springs.
    New this year, United will launch new summer United Express nonstop jet service from Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) directly into Steamboat/Hayden Airport in addition to its daily Denver service. United’s vast network, domestically and internationally, opens an endless array of travel options to and from Steamboat-Ski Town, U.S.A.®
    Call Steamboat Central Reservations® for more information at (877) 255-2628.
    Have fun!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

You know I had already thought that if things were going great guns at Rawlins extending down to SS might be fun - we'll see.

I'm planning a solo hike at the moment but sort of on standby to see if someone decides to hike with me. I had originally intended to hike with a partner at a slower pace but if I wind up going solo I'll kick it up a notch. Either is fine with me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++