WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best lightweight cup/bowl...

I'm using a Fosters can pot and don't really want to cook in it because my hands are a little too big to clean it well. I'm tryin to find a bowl/cup combo that will work well to eat out of. Right now I'm considering a 32oz (size) Oikos yogurt container we have with the lid. I haven't weighed it, but, it's super lightweight. I was considering permanently affixing a reflectix coozie to it and figured with the lid, it'd do well as a cooking vessel. I think it'd make a good lightweight option for a cup/bowl.

Before I start cutting on the reflectix, I just thought I'd ask you guys about what you might use to serve this purpose if/when you aren't cooking directly in your pot, just using it to heat water.

Thanks.
    Boomer's Blog | Attempting to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail on an impulse…

https://wanderingboomer.wordpress.com/

For a bowl I'd use one from a microwaveable Chinese noodle dish (I'm sure other meals use similar bowls but I can't think of em) and for a cup I'd use a Campbells soap cup like they sell in 7/11 (The one where you peal the aluminum back and pop it in the microwave for a min)

Antigravitygear sells their ziplock 2 and 4 cup screw top containers with a pot cozy attached. You could easily make your own as well.

Be advised, these containers will leak at the threads when closed.

I cook in my pot, but I would choose one of these over freezer bags all day every day if I did that type of trail cooking.

I found a ~$1 plastic 1qt mixing cup at Lowes with a snap on top. I was thinking about affixing the reflectix to this (and possibly the lid, too - heat rises) and using it since it's a little lighter than the yogurt container. Not looking for a bowl AND a cup, looking for one item to serve both purposes.

Wlamart sells a small insulated bowl with a screw on lid for 1.64. It is the mainstays brand and is located in the aisle with cooking accessories and the Ziploc type containers. It is super light and works very well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Antigravitygear sells their ziplock 2 and 4 cup screw top containers with a pot cozy attached. You could easily make your own as well.

Be advised, these containers will leak at the threads when closed.

I cook in my pot, but I would choose one of these over freezer bags all day every day if I did that type of trail cooking.
    FWIW, both the zip lock brand and knock off screw top bowls leak around the threads as well. I've had better luck with take out soup containers like the ones you get at Chinese food restaurants.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Don't laugh, but I'm using one of the 5 dollar aluminum "mess kits" from Walmart. Well, just the inner pot/lid and the plastic cup. I'm going to get a small plastic bowl (Rubbermaid knockoff type, whatever's the cheapest) just slightly bigger so I can put my store pot and cup in it. And my Titanium spork. That pretty much sums up my cooking/eating needs.

I use a Fosters pot for a cup. It nests inside the small Imusa grease pot(.9 quart or something). The Imusa with reflectix cozy weighs 4 oz I think. Gives me the ability to cook in pot and heat up water for coffee in the Fosters.

I'm liking what I'm making right now, I'll send some pictures here in a few minutes once the glue sets up.

The imusa xup works great. You can also get a standard grease pot at Lowe's cheap and it fits as a kid on a brine or fosters pot. I used it when I carried a keg set up. I like to cook more now and the keg just doesn't do it.

Ok, here it is. I have no idea how to rotate the pictures so you'll have to use your imagination (unless someone can do it for me).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's nothing special, but it's lightweight and I'm pretty sure it'll do the trick of both bowl and cup. Insulated so it should keep food warm and coffee hot. I think it'll work as long as I'm careful with it.

Should work. May want to hot water test before you leave just to make sure.

All of the reflectix is glued on, too. I just put the rubber bands on to hold it in place while the glue set up. But, I'm thinking I may just leave them on there to help keep it in place and so I have them if I need them for anything else.

I'll pour some boiling water in there in a little bit and see how it holds up and how long it stays hot.

Seems to work well, I just learned that I can't snap the lid on if the water is boiling. It'll swell up and try to pop off. I rested the lid on top so the steam can escape and it's working really well. The plastic got a little soft, but it still holds its shape really well and I think it should work.

I just realized I may have to take the rubber bands off, afterall. Once the plastic softened, it deformed the cup a little. I took the middle rubber band off and as it cooled, it took its normal shape again. I'll leave he rubber bands off while it's cool and then probably take them off before I leave.

Maybe a little sip hole or a real small vent hole in the lid might keep it from swelling while the lid is on. I'd go the sippie cup route so I could drink some hot coffee while hiking.

Oops, maybe scratch the sip cup idea. Just saw it wasn't a screw on type lid so it might leak. haha

Wasn't really planning to use it while moving, so this might work. I may take a drill to the lid and put a small weep hole in it. If it affects performance too much, I think I can pick up another one for less than a buck and I have plenty of reflectix left.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++