WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What are you using to protect your Fosters pot from getting crushed? One little fall (or even leaning up against a tree or something) and that pot can be ruined. I've been using the plastic caddy my Trail Designs Fosters pot caldera cone system came in - the bottom half only to save weight. Very rugged plastic and it only weighs 1.81 ounces. I put 1/2 cup markings on it to measure out water for my dehydrated meals as well. The only thing I don't like is the threads on the top of it - they're very wide so it's easily cleaned but it's still a place for gunk to accumulate if you don't watch it.

I'm honestly not sure about that, just yet. I'm trying to figure out what all I can store inside of the pot to give it some support. Also, I got it from Zelph and he has the little ridges all over it to make it more rigid. Regardless, I'm trying to find an assortment of items to go inside of it that would help that very thing from happening. I'd like to find a good water bottle that fit pretty snug inside of the fosters pot and use the pot as a holster, of sorts, in a side pocket for my water bottle. Hoping that might keep it from crushing if something hit it.

I'm using a ZPacks Arc Blast, as well. Since its a cuben fiber pack, I'm going to be pretty picky about when and how I use my pack so hopefully that added caution will help prolong the life of the stove.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for this situation?
    Boomer's Blog | Attempting to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail on an impulse…

https://wanderingboomer.wordpress.com/

I have the Foster's Ridges version. It is quite reasonably sturdy.

If I were clever, I would remove the top edge and use this:
    http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...aluminum-ring/

I use the cheap green plastic cup that sometimes comes with mess kits

I saw one guy use a cut-up Platypus container (2-L) to make a bowl. Very light & low profile. I guess you could make a reflectrix cozy for it as well.

It was always interesting to see the 'outside the box' cooking/eating setups I saw along the trail.

Your yogurt tub should work as long as it doesn't get crushed in your pack. Same goes for your beer-can pot.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Why not get a sturdier pot that weight the same as a foster pot + eating bowl/protection?
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Images

Glad round, screw top food storage containers. Cheap, light, plus the screw top allows you to re-hydrate food while hiking without worrying about spills. Various sizes, I find the 2 or 3 cup size ideal for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++