WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wrist watch...

Near unanimous approval for watches on the trail. That must be some kind of record.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I don't get the idea about using a watch for navigation, please explain.
    Thanks!
    For another slight variation on the theme, when I'm traveling off-trail I set the hourly chime on my cheap digital watch. Every hour I stop and mark my position on my map, with the time, as best as I can. Then I scale back to the last hourly mark and verify that it makes sense in distance and direction. If it's more than few miles or less than a mile, I've probably made a mistake and it hasn't been too long to correct easily.

I did that for days at a time on the CDT and it was helpful, maybe critical at times. That also helps you develop a sense of your true pace, which, as mentioned multiple times above, further helps in predicting where you should be at a certain time, which is a major factor in safe navigation.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I don't get the idea about using a watch for navigation, please explain.
    Thanks!
    You need a watch that has hands. You cannot use a digital watch. Point the hour hand at the sun and halfway between the hour hand and the 12 will be south.

Considering most people keep their phones zipped up in their packs it is easier/better to have a watch for just the reasons you mention. I think I'd forget to eat on a regular enough schedule without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    You need a watch that has hands. You cannot use a digital watch. Point the hour hand at the sun and halfway between the hour hand and the 12 will be south.
    Or you need a hand with your imagination
    If you aren't good with visualization you can scratch or mark with a sharpie the rim on a digital watch.
    As long as you got the time and can picture it you can use the trick without a hand.

This trick is good to know for sure- but I think you are better off with the timer and stopwatch features overall. Especially when you are like me and your mind tends to wander, or perhaps more accurately, after a few days in the woods things like dates and times tend to evaporate from my mind of their own free will

Quote Originally Posted by ccartertn View Post
    May I ask what watch you use? I am looking at a Casio Pathfinder. I just returned another Casio (cheaper than the Pathfinder) that had Altimeter and Temperature only, no compass. The altimeter seemed way off and that is what I was wanting to work the most. I understand it works based on air pressure but it seemed off from day to day where there was no real change.

I also feel lost without a watch. I have always worn cheaper timex ironman watches because I used to run a lot. The problem - the more expensive the watch, the more likely I'll lose it!
    Suunto watch. I don't know which model. The user guide states that it's either: Altimax, Vector, X-Lander, or S-Lander model. Same user guide for all 4 models. The barometric pressure changes will cause the altimeter to go screwy. If I'm relatively sure of my starting elevation for the day, I'll recalibrate it in the morning. When I have a big climb, I like knowing about how many more feet I've got to go (& how many feet I've already climbed).

I've been pretty hard on watches over the years. I lost quite a few in my career in law enforcement. I usually wore Casio or Timex running watches that weren't too expensive. The dept would reimburse a few bucks on watches broken in a scuffle. Rolex? You'd be screwed.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Just ordered a Casio Pathfinder PAG240-1CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    ...Be a man- wear more women's stuff.
    +1 on this. I get so frustrated buying watches. Men's watches are so massive and butt-ugly. I am currently just using the dress watch I got from my employer for 25 years of service, but next time I shop for a hiking watch, I will definitely look at the woman's watches.

I wear a watch when I hike for many of the reasons enumerated above. One additional reason which has not been mentioned is that a watch helps you maximize your hiking day during the long nights of October and November. During that period you have about 10 or 11 hours of daylight and 13 or 14 hours of night. If you maximize your hiking time, you can still make 20 miles during the daylight, but you need to wake up while it's still dark to eat breakfast and break camp. Without a watch, you have no idea when to start your morning routine. Chances are you'll wake up at 5:30 or 6am because you probably went to bed around 6 or 7pm. But in reality, you only need to start moving about 45 minutes before sun-up.

I haven't worn a watch since I broke my last one in 1988. They've always run fast when I'm wearing them so they are useless to me. Never missed it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    I wear a watch when I hike for many of the reasons enumerated above. One additional reason which has not been mentioned is that a watch helps you maximize your hiking day during the long nights of October and November. During that period you have about 10 or 11 hours of daylight and 13 or 14 hours of night. If you maximize your hiking time, you can still make 20 miles during the daylight, but you need to wake up while it's still dark to eat breakfast and break camp. Without a watch, you have no idea when to start your morning routine. Chances are you'll wake up at 5:30 or 6am because you probably went to bed around 6 or 7pm. But in reality, you only need to start moving about 45 minutes before sun-up.
    I'm am also a fan of pre-sunrise starts, anytime when waking during the night first thing I check is the time.

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    I'm am also a fan of pre-sunrise starts, anytime when waking during the night first thing I check is the time.
    +2 for the pre dawn starts. Breakfast by headlamp and maybe even the first mile. Best time of the day. an altimeter is a real nice feature to have as previously mentioned. Its funny I've used my watch as mentioned above. I've always worn one and never gave it much thought. The cheaper G Shocks are pretty amazing. I've had one for I don't know how long that's beat to crap but still works great although it hard to read. The plastic face was no match for flying slag while using a cutting torch and stick welding.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Journal Entries

It tells me how far ive gone, how far left to go, how long till dark, how long till light.

My little phone stays off, with battery out. Thats why the battery lasts weeks.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    A long time ago I bought my wife a High-Gear (I think that's the brand) and it had all the altimeter stuff and temp on it. Awesome watch. But it seemed like you had to calibrate it all the time, like FlyPaper stated. So I now use the cheapo Walmart watch with just an alarm. I'm wondering tho about the plastic band vs. velcro band. I'm afraid the plastic one isn't tough enough (I'm not wasy on them for some reason) but the velcro/cloth type smell really bad after a while. Anyway, I don't want to have to pull my phone out every time I want to get some bearings so the cheapo is the way to go for me.
    Yes, that's true. You have to recalibrate using a map. It's due to the fact that the air pressure constantly changes. If you don't you'll be off as to where you actually are. One good thing about that is if your watch says 2500 ft. and you're at 3000, it's time to batton down the hatches since it's wither going to warm up or a storm is on the way!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++