WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wrist watch...

Default Wrist watch...

Something that a lot of people don't consider is having a time piece other than a cell phone. I brought my old Timex iron man watch with me last year, not sure exactly why, I usually only wear it when I'm out on the water but figured why not bring it. This was definitely one of those surprise high value items that you normally wouldn't think about. I suppose this probably goes back to my distance running days, but it is always nice to have the ability to quickly figure out the time, check your pace, when to stop for breaks, and also keeping track of what day it is. Anyways just a thought for those of you trying to figure out all those little things that may help you on your journey.

I didn't wear a watch on my thru and never missed it. On a couple of occasions when I needed to know the time I dug out my phone. I stopped for a break when I was tired or hungry. Didn't need a watch to tell me that. Didn't care what day it was and how fast I was walking. Those were some of the reasons I was hiking.
    More walking, less talking.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A watch is useful for dead reckoning and first aid (pulse and resp. rate, taking note of time vital signs were taken)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

+1 to Mags. Its an old habit to have my watch on my left pack strap. I'm (and it) wound tight enough to figure my pace.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

yes, a phone (tablet)is on the gearlist. -however- Very much love my wrist-top device. Multi function and can track options with the flick of the wrist, ie...watch an compass and altitude. Am still waiting on varmit locator app..

Journal Entries

I, in my numerous gear searches (geek gear that is) came across a watch that was recommended as one of the best watches for outdoors ever. Surprisingly, it is just about ten dollars and sold at Walmart. It's a very cheap watch, green velcro strap, and I don't even recall the name of it since it has long ago been wiped off the watch surface. But I purchased two of them just in case one gave out. I've had it now for 7 years and it's still running. I think it might be by Casio but I'm not sure.

I would never leave for a hike without my $10 Casio. Funny that 'time' is too much technology to be carrying for some folks, but they'll have no problem with carrying the latest hi-tech materials by way of tent, pack, etc.

Caribeiner watch attached to my pack strap. I never hike without it. You would be amazed at how many hikers I meet on the trail and ask me what time it is.

My phone is off 99% of the time on trail. It is inefficient to use it as a watch when my $15 timex does the job and the battery lasts a few years.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Never thought of a watch in terms of first aid response, though it would be a basic tool. I have always found a watch to be a corner of the necessary triangle to navigation, along with a compass and map. I won't travel far without one.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've been using an old Timex digital wristwatch with a fabric strap for the last 15+ years, mostly for dead reckoning and pacing.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Timex Expedition with a velcro strap that I bought off Amazon for $8. Never leaves my wrist except when I shower. When I hike sometimes I'll strap it to my pack strap. It even has the date and a backlight for the dark...hi-tech!

I don't get the super expensive watches when so many are so cheap. The Apple watch is going to be a huge hit but useless for backpacking.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I do pick up altimeter watches on sale at Campmor. They are very handy for navigation especially when you are on trail, just find the contour line that lines up with the elevation. Also handy to watch the barometer trend overnight. If the campsite sinks overnight, high pressure (sun but usually cooler) is coming in, if rises, low pressure is coming in (rain). My current watch even has an icon on it to predict the weather by the trend overnight.

Images

I have a cheap watch that I removed the band and drilled a hole in the casing and attach it to my pack or pants with a minibiner

Images

I tend to not drink enough while hiking and this can be a big issue for me. So I set the hourly chime to remind myself to drink something every hour while on the march.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Never thought of a watch in terms of first aid response, though it would be a basic tool. I have always found a watch to be a corner of the necessary triangle to navigation, along with a compass and map. I won't travel far without one.
    On the first day of my WFA class, the instructor had to remind people to have a watch for vital signs and taking reports. Cell phones don't cut it esp for vital signs. The only under-30 person with a watch happened to be a nurse.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-03-2015 at 12:23.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I just don't feel right without a watch. It's that simple. I don't wear one because I might have to take vitals. It's just I was wearing one before cell phones became affordable and I'm accustomed to em. I'd get annoyed if I had to pull my cell out every time I wanted to check the time. Perhaps that wouldn't be an issue for most people younger than myself, but it is for me.

I don't wear my typical watch though, I just grab a cheap lightweight joint from Walmart and use it for my trips. (Which is kind of funny as I normally wear a suunto, a watch you'd think would be appropriate for the backcountry.)

I got an altimeter watch for backpacking. I've found that to be useful in the backcountry (although it has to be recalibrated at known elevation points). While hiking, I like to drink something every 15 min. If I don't do this routine, I'm likely to wait until I'm thirsty... then I'm dehydrated.

Watch wearers are becoming a dying bread. Hardly any of my Scouts wear them. When we go to Philmont Scout Ranch, we tell the boys in advance that they should wear a cheap watch. There are time sensitive events that they attend. No watch = they don't know what time it is. When asked, the adults refuse to tell them what time it is.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I basically use a watch to know where I am (navigation). The time it takes to get to the next water source, shelter, road crossing, viewpoint, etc... is more relevant than the distance. The guide book gives distance, which I convert to time, then with my watch I know when I will get to where I am going.

In the past I've owned a Timex Indiglow watch which would light up when you push the button. This was quite nice for camping as it works as a little flashlight on your wrist if you need to find something in the dark. They use an electroluminescent display, which uses very little electricity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++