WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Yea, but they get paid at the end of each trip. Not at the end of the season.
    Most offshore workers, whether on a factory trawler or a small salmon gillnetter, are paid a percentage of their ship's catch, called a crew share. Crew members on small fishing vessels such as purse seiners or gillnetters work exclusively for a crew share and aren't paid until the end of the season, when they're given a percentage of what the boat earns for its catch.

Worked up some quick numbers on what you are advertising here.
    "4 straight months working every single day up to 20 hours" & "r
    ealistic range for money in a season is 10K-25K"

so lets assume 120 days of work at an average of 14 hours per day for roughly $17,000 pay minus $1K for gear and travel
    That comes in around $9.52 an hour with an equal chance of having to work more hours and earn less for what is generally rated as one of the most dangerous jobs in America. The Alaskan allure makes it tempting but it's not a huge surprise people aren't jumping at this. That said, I do wish you luck this season.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ralph23 View Post
    Worked up some quick numbers on what you are advertising here.
    "4 straight months working every single day up to 20 hours" & "r
    ealistic range for money in a season is 10K-25K"

so lets assume 120 days of work at an average of 14 hours per day for roughly $17,000 pay minus $1K for gear and travel
    That comes in around $9.52 an hour with an equal chance of having to work more hours and earn less for what is generally rated as one of the most dangerous jobs in America. The Alaskan allure makes it tempting but it's not a huge surprise people aren't jumping at this. That said, I do wish you luck this season.
    In fairness to the OP, from what I have read, living accommodations (I would imagine very rustic, many fishing "cabins" are described as shacks that keep bears from eating you) are provided and I believe he provides food for the crew - I know, probably quite a bit of fish and wild berries . He did not say if one had to pay a food share, or if he pays that. But he does state that he pays pretty much everything once you land on Kodiak Island.

Given the cost of housing and meals, it would be really hard for anyone making $9.50/hr (even with some OT) to even make ends meet given apartment rents, utility expenses, food, transportation costs like fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc. Now, maybe if you are living with Mom and Dad or a friend for free, you can save up some money, but I doubt you could put away anything close to even the minimum $10,000 in four months. By going fishing, one could completely ditch rent, utilities, food, auto, cell phone, etc. for those four to five months So there is some merit in what he is saying. But, on the downside, out of that $17,000 one would have to pay 15.3% self employment tax + any income tax owed. So add in travel to and from Kodiak at $1000 and self-employment taxes at $2600 (minimum) and that figure is more like $12,400 (minus any income tax) in an average fishing season. In a bad season it could be as little as $7000 net. In a good season, perhaps over $20,000 net. That's a really big range, but it might be worth the gamble if one doesn't have better prospects or any other way of saving up significant money.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I grew up on a farm. Lots of dirty work involved.

My dad did some very small scale commercial fishing in colder months to help ends meet. Lots of dirty, wet smelly work involved.

It's not a good idea to sign on for these sorts of things if you think that money is going to offset your distaste for the type of work. You have to enjoy the work itself and actually like to work hard to handle the job.

If you don't have a hankering to go handle fish all day long on Kodiak island you'll probably wash out quickly. It does take a certain mindset to thrive in the conditions described by the OP but this could be perfect seasonal work for the person who wants to bounce from hike to hike.

If this was 20 years ago I'd probably do it, just to get to spend time on Kodiak island, which would admittedly cut into my very little down time.

My hankering for handling fish all day long these days mostly involves sitting in a kayak with a 12 pack of beer.

Images

It's a niche job that 99% of people would hate and 1% LOVE. All this picking apart of of numbers is pointless and it is why I don't even like to give any out. The 1% that love this job are about way more than how much they make per hour. We don't even think that way. There are weeks on end you make not a cent preparing for a season and then you might make 2K in one day when it gets busy. It's all about the overall picture and catching as many fish as possible in one season and walking away with as big a check as you can. It is like one long 4-month work-week with a variable check at the end depending on performance. This is a lifestyle choice. How much freedom do you want in your life? If you want and have a lot this is for you. If you want to live a 'normal' lifestyle collecting your weekly paycheck at your hourly wage job just so you have enough money to pay off your bills than this is not for you.
    Last edited by JahReid; 03-12-2015 at 12:14.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    it might be worth the gamble if one doesn't have better prospects or any other way of saving up significant money.
    Or if you see value in an experience like this beyond $$$. Some people do, some don't. Both groups are right.

This is the kind of job/adventure I'll be looking to do in the late summer of 2016. Sounds very interesting...

Images

Colter, I tried replying to your message but your PM quota is full...

This sounds like an awesome opportunity, I'm currently otherwise committed or I would be all over this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JahReid View Post
    It's a niche job that 99% of people would hate and 1% LOVE. All this picking apart of of numbers is pointless and it is why I don't even like to give any out. The 1% that love this job are about way more than how much they make per hour. We don't even think that way. There are weeks on end you make not a cent preparing for a season and then you might make 2K in one day when it gets busy. It's all about the overall picture and catching as many fish as possible in one season and walking away with as big a check as you can. It is like one long 4-month work-week with a variable check at the end depending on performance. This is a lifestyle choice. How much freedom do you want in your life? If you want and have a lot this is for you. If you want to live a 'normal' lifestyle collecting your weekly paycheck at your hourly wage job just so you have enough money to pay off your bills than this is not for you.
    I understand to a small degree your statement of not making this about the numbers, and yes, there is more to life than just money - but if you don't have a lot, you'd better at least have enough. You do say in your original post that it is a "Great opportunity to save up money for travel or a thru-hike". So, I'm sorry, but a great part of it is about numbers, just as your business is about numbers. Number of fish, market price, percentage of catch, expenses, etc. To a thru-hiker it's number of miles per day, transportation costs, gear costs, food costs, etc.

And in this case, how much a person can save up to enjoy 6 months of financial freedom they will need to thru-hike. I don't care how much you want to just live life as a great adventure, you had better be good at understanding and managing all the numbers if you ever want to succeed. Six months of freedom to hike the AT requires X number of dollars. And that is the reality of life. In this particular case, you advertise fishing, as a means to an end, not an end in itself. The "experience" is secondary to the primary purpose, which is to finance a thru-hike.

Now, can it be about the experience itself? Sure. But not in the context presented.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Each persons individual goals are not the same. This is a GREAT way to save up money for any sort of adventure in life not just thru hiking. I am going to Nepal this year when I get done. I would be more inclined to hire someone who has already done a thru-hike because I value those skills that it takes to do that. The numbers are just to variable to get so caught up in them. The reality is you could make nothing. It only starts adding up when the fish start getting caught. The number to focus on is the number of lbs caught after your season starts. Then you can start counting the numbers. Until then you cannot count on anything.

I advertise fishing as both an end for earning money and a means for having freedom to go on adventures for a lifetime. This is true because it is what I do. I am not trying to sell this job buzzard; It takes 15 minutes to find a crewman in Kodiak and a couple days with online Alaskan job websites. I WANT to give the opportunity to someone in the hiker community before I go that route; that was the point of this thread. There are people who beg for these jobs in other situations, as a matter a fact a guy who quit last summer keeps calling and begging for his job back.

And what why does an old buzzard want to squwak so much about a job destined for a young eagle? Seems like you have zero knowledge about this profession and zero interest or ability to do the job. I'm guessing your looking out for the common good of your fellow community, trying to save all the hikers the misery of this treacherous job, and it is not just out of boredom.

This is totally about the adventure and I wish I knew about this last year. I'm back in school full time or I'd be all over this.

Each persons individual goals are not the same. This is a GREAT way to save up money for any sort of adventure in life not just thru hiking. I am going to Nepal this year when I get done. I would be more inclined to hire someone who has already done a thru-hike because I value those skills that it takes to do that. The numbers are just to variable to get so caught up in them. The reality is you could make nothing. It only starts adding up when the fish start getting caught. The number to focus on is the number of lbs caught after your season starts. Then you can start counting the numbers. Until then you cannot count on anything.

I advertise fishing as both an end for earning money and a means for having freedom to go on adventures for a lifetime. This is true because it is what I do. I am not trying to sell this job buzzard; It takes 15 minutes to find a crewman in Kodiak and a couple days with online Alaskan job websites. I WANT to give the opportunity to someone in the hiker community before I go that route; that was the point of this thread. There are people who beg for these jobs in other situations, as a matter a fact a guy who quit last summer keeps calling and begging for his job back.

And what why does an old buzzard want to squwak so much about a job destined for a young eagle? Seems like you have zero knowledge about this profession and zero interest or ability to do the job. I'm guessing your looking out for the common good of your fellow community, trying to save all the hikers the misery of this treacherous job, and it is not just out of boredom.
    +1.

Again, I know a guy personally who finances a seemingly endless series of thru-hikes by fishing in Alaska. Few people would want to live that way. For some it is "living the dream."

If you want certainty avoid adventure at all costs, because, hey, it might not work out!

A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for

JahReid try again on the PM.

Images

1) This is a discussion board. People discuss the things that are posted here.
    2) Different people have differing thoughts, opinions, and perspectives.
    3) You state that, "I am not trying to sell this job." BS, IMO. Sure you are. And if not, then why do you reply and defend your job opportunity? And FWIW, there's nothing wrong with that. You want the best people you can get. For reasons you have decided, you would prefer a thru-hiker over other people you could hire more easily. Probably perseverance. No problem. "Misery of this treacherous job," eh? Don't assign that one to me.
    4) Add that, by your own statements, half of the people hired quit within a few weeks - and likely get paid nothing according to you. The contract is for the entire agreed upon season. That is a pretty big risk that shouldn't be glossed over given that half quit. Add the possibility of a bad season, and a poor return on time invested. Add possibility of work injury. What happens then? The possibility of a big gain is almost always accompanied by higher risk.
    5) Many here, and yes, especially some of the younger people, probably aren't fully aware of the legal differences, responsibilities, and expenses that go along with being a contract employee vs. a statutory employee. And just one of those differences is the effect on net income vs. the gross share.
    6) Please note that I did state that for the right person, this might be an opportunity worth exploring, due to the ability to earn and save a significant sum of money along with reducing the normal living expenses in the civilized world.
    7) See #1 above

The reason I'm defending the OP is he's not dishonestly "selling the job." You don't try to fool someone or "gloss things over" by saying:

The reality is you could make nothing.
    It's a niche job that 99% of people would hate
    If all you want is the money you will fail.
    The work is hard both mentally and physically.
    treacherous job

As he says, he can get a crew easily. However, it's important to get a GOOD crew. Someone who makes good thru-hiker material usually shares many of the same characteristics that makes a good fisherman.

For the right person fishing CAN be a great, difficult, adventurous job for funding adventures in the long off season.

We Don’t See Things As They Are, We See Them As We Are What do you do for a living 4eyedbuzzard?

Images

While at my age, I am not interested and probably wouldn't be productive for this opportunity, I AM surprised, however, that others are not interested. This is something that really would have piqued my interest 30 or 35 years ago. Of course, I have always been interested in exploring Alaska, and Kodiak Island has always been way up on the list.

I gave up pay and security a number of times in my younger days in order to seek more adventurous, exciting, and enjoyable experiences. Never regretted those decisions in the least. In fact they led to some of my most cherished years/months.

For someone without major commitments, I would consider this opportunity extremely tempting. Guaranteed food and housing, new experiences, beautiful locations, I assume good friendships and possibility of substantial monetary pay-off. What's not to love?

Best of luck to the OP. I would continue to use this type of forum for posting the opportunity, I cannot help but believe that this is a "fluke" year for the lack of interest.

One more reason to wish I were younger.
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-15-2015 at 10:39.

I believe the OP has communicated with a couple of folks via PM about the job offerings so I think there's interest.

As I stated earlier, if this were 20 years ago, I'd have probably hopped on it.

Even thouhg I'm not looking for job opportunities atm, it's nice to see stuff like this posted because I have met s number of hikers who do fit the profile for being able to be successful at the job and I do think that the seasonality and pay structure work well for financing a hike for someone who doesn't have a mortgage and lots of other monthly bill commitments.

If I was only 20 again. I would have really considered doing this. With the power of the internet, It's real easy to do a bunch of research on this subject. And there is a ton of info out there. I looked into doing something like this 10 years ago after a divorce but my kids kept me home. I don't think the OP is keeping any secrets. I think the old buzzard likes rattling the cage he's in.

The OP did mention he was surprised by the lack of response to his ad so maybe a breakdown of what the fish catches were for the last 10 years would be appropriate. Were they high yields, consistent mid size, generally decreasing each year?? This is something I would want to know before making this kind of commitment.

Images

This years arrival date is May 13th In Kodiak. Still accepting applications for a little while longer...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++