WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Let's talk pack covers

I've got trash compactor bags (1 in use/1 folded as an extra) for an inside pack liner. From my understanding, without a cover, your pack gets soaked and it will add some weight. I get that, I'm not going UL. One con I can see is, the straps will get soaked and most likely the back half of the back anyway. So how important is a pack cover?

Too add to this: If we pick up something like a Packa, will that be sufficient to replace a pack cover? Assume that we already have compactor bags as pack liners like Christoph mentioned above.
    --
    Vinny, Aspiring 2016 AT NOBO
    Shameless blog plug: http://appalachiantrials.com/author/vinny-tagliatela/

I use just a compactor bag, but my pack is highly water resistant by itself. I don't worry about the straps or back as they are already wet from me sweating most of the time anyways. Even with a regular pack cover, they are going to get wet when it rains. A Packa would solve that issue though.

A Packa would replace a pack cover. I would always use a compactor bag inside for my sleeping bag regardless.

Why not a poncho? It weighs the sames as a rain shell without the need for an 8 oz pack cover. They seem to have fallen out of style, but I 'm not sure why.

Lots of advantages. It can be a ground cloth for lunch or an extra blanket on a cold night. When your single-wall tent is raining condensation or misting from blowing rain, it will keep your down bag dry. It's more breathable in a warm rain than a breathable shell. If you need to dig somethiing out of your pack during a rain shower, it's a portable shelter.

They look kinda goofy, so maybe that's it.

Images

I use both a pack cover and a pack liner. My pack does soak up a lot of water (adds weight) and takes forever to dry. The pack cover also keeps water from going down inside the drawstring opening at the top of my pack.

I got a cuben pack liner from Zpacks and it's been great - much better than my old trash compactor bags which were never tall enough to roll over and seal properly.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

My pack is an older Kelty Santa fe 4000 that has padding everywhere that would take forever to dry as well. But most is in the waist band and straps. Might have to hose it down and weigh it later just to see.

I have a ula circuit...compactor bag liner only...doesn't seem to soak up water and stays dry inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always liked and used ponchos in the summer for my hikes. I recently bought a Packa and am actually looking forward to hiking in the rain to test it out. Even still, I pack things like my sleeping bag and spare clothes in some sort of plastic bag liner inside my pack.

It appears everyone (including myself) use a pack liner. With that said the question is now do you want to keep your pack as dry as possible to conserve weight? Water is heavy and I say yes...pcover, poncho all a matter of preference. I've used poncho before. Worked alright as long as it wasn't a driving windy type rain...and I wasn't in a section where I was going to be scrambling up any boulders! When it gets windy you have to belt it somehow. But that day it worked and pack and I stayed relatively dry. I've also used jack/pant...like a sauna in there! Got just as wet as I would have without them! Last few years I've just been using a pcover. I get wet but I stay warm with the hiking. I do bring my j/p combo just in case it's a cold rain...at least I'll stay warm in them. I've also had to use them to sleep in one night when a freak cold spell swept in for a couple days once.

Forget about the pack cover, you pack will get wet even if you have one and then you will just have another piece of wet fabric to deal with. Line your pack with a trash compactor bag so things that need to stay dry stay dry and you are done. I really wouldn't worry about the weight gain if you pack gets wet.

I embrace the rain and all its glory.. sometimes

I use a liner and some dry bags and thats it. no pack cover. I don't really care about my pack getting weight. it sheds and drys water easily as well. my pack is made of codura.. cuben is even better as it doesn't really absorb any water, just sheds it

yes, your pack does put on some water weight, but carrying a pack cover also weighs 2-3oz to begin with.. and you only use it when its raining... fair trade?

I've seen many pack covers in hiker boxes, brand new unused osprey ones too.

if you kept valuables strapped to the outside of your pack i would see a point, i however, do not

I have gone back and forth on the issue of a Pack Cover. I like the Dutch Argon Sil Pack because of the weight 1.83 for cost $19. Z Packs is the lightest at 1.2 but runs $44. I like ULA's because it matches the Pack so nice and tight, so wind and blowing moisture is not a problem. Then I find out about the JRB Orange Pack cover (great for Hunting Season) that doubles as a Hammock Gear Pack as well as a water bowl to give it multiple uses. Then I read that many are discarded in the hiker boxes! Decisions Decisions Decisions Oh the agony of making a decision! Luckily it is an under $50 one.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I use both a pack cover and a pack liner. My pack does soak up a lot of water (adds weight) and takes forever to dry. The pack cover also keeps water from going down inside the drawstring opening at the top of my pack.

I got a cuben pack liner from Zpacks and it's been great - much better than my old trash compactor bags which were never tall enough to roll over and seal properly.
    Z pack makes some good stuff. I have a cover instead of the liner. I do use a compactor bag for my liner. How does the cuben liner hold up from friction on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    Forget about the pack cover, you pack will get wet even if you have one and then you will just have another piece of wet fabric to deal with. Line your pack with a trash compactor bag so things that need to stay dry stay dry and you are done. I really wouldn't worry about the weight gain if you pack gets wet.
    I disagree. Your pack will take on much more water without a cover than with. I can and will seep in and even pool in heavy rain. To me the pack does get heavy when wet. Will it get damp with a cover ...yes. But not nearly as bad without a cover.

LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover covers the back of the pack, the packstraps, and, your own back of the neck and rainhood with minimum weight.

I have decided on that one, to be used with a lightweight hoodless rain shell.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I use 3 UL dry bags, one each for food, clothes and sleeping bag.
    If it rains enough you're pack is getting wet, cover or no cover. To me its just something else to deal with. Besides it never rains when I hike
    I've had compactor bags leak at the bottom seam. I've never had a dry bag leak. I'd be carrying stuff sacks anyway, they might as well be waterproof.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Well now I'm really stumped. Haha Guess a good way to decide would be to pack it all up and turn the hose on it for a few minutes (assuming worst case scenario here), and see what happens. I'll have to get a before and after weight as well. Thanks for all the replies!

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Well now I'm really stumped. Haha...
    Yeah, around here ten people will reply and you'll get eleven different opinions. Best to be aware of the options and try them out for yourself. Before forums like this you might never even have heard of the option of a liner instead of a cover.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Well now I'm really stumped. Haha Guess a good way to decide would be to pack it all up and turn the hose on it for a few minutes (assuming worst case scenario here), and see what happens. I'll have to get a before and after weight as well. Thanks for all the replies!
    I actually tested my dry bags by stuffing them with newspaper and holding them underwater in my pool. No leaks.

A 13 liter dry sack weighs 1.4 oz and holds my 15 degree down bag easily. I use a 8 liter for clothes and a 13 L for food.
    http://www.rei.com/product/777725/se...sack#tab-specs

I thought I might have to melt a small hole in the bottom of my pack to let water out but I never did. At the most on the rainiest day I might have had 2 or 3 ounces of water in the bottom.

You need to make sure you sleeping bag and one change of clothes stay absolutely dry.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

my pack cover weighs next to nothing, and stuffs easily into any pouch on the outside of my pack. I don't see any reason not to have one. I also use a garbage bag to line my pack.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++