WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Good idea. I attach the draw cord on mine to the pack carry loop.

The Packa... problem solved!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover covers the back of the pack, the packstraps, and, your own back of the neck and rainhood with minimum weight.

I have decided on that one, to be used with a lightweight hoodless rain shell.
    I picked up one of Judy's Pack Covers at the Kick Off and have been pondering how / what to pair it up with as a full rain jacket seems really redundant. Where did you get the rain shell from Connie?
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I've heard of folks pack covers getting blown off by the wind and getting lost. I plan hooking mine to my pack in some way. If the cinch cord doesn't line up right with anything, I'll sew a short piece of cord to the cover and hook it to the back somewhere with a mini carabiner or such.
    The Lightheart pack cover Connie talks about actually already has its own securing system, both horizontal and vertical. Looks like it will hold the cover in place well. Judy does a nice job with the details.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Pack cover and compactor bag for me.

I use an orange pack cover in hunting season. If you're going to get only one, get it in orange! (I have a black cover for my big pack and a green one for my little one, for when I don't want to stand out.)

The pack cover gives me a relatively clean place to unload stuff from my pack in my tent vestibule, which is handy when changing clothes for sleeping.

I've even washed my long johns in it once when washing them became needed urgently. You know what happens. If you're using it as a wash basin, turn it inside out so that the wash water is on the side that isn't against the pack. That way any nasty matter that transfers (there isn't much, the silnylon sheds everything) will get exposed to UV.

I've blessed my pack cover in heavy rain, and even more so in heavy sleet. The silnylon sheds the ice.

One example: a hike two winters ago. In the morning the trail had been almost dry.

By midday it looked like this, and it kept right on with the freezing rain for the rest of the day. The picture doesn't show it well, but there's about half an inch of clear ice on everything there. And I hadn't brought my crampons. Fortunately, microspikes kept my upright.

I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Haven't read all the replies, just thought I would kick in my 2 cents worth.

I use a plastic garbage bag inside my pack. I place sleeping bag and dry clothing inside this bag at the bottom of the pack, then fold the top of the bag over. Everything else (cooking gear/shelter/first aid/food/etc) all get packed on top of that. Any electronics get packed in ziplocks when not in use. Maps/office get packed in a gallon ziplock, folded over but not necessarily sealed - for easy access and placed in an outside pocket.

On miserable/wet days, depending on which camera I'm carrying, it will get packed in a ziplock which is then placed in a plastic grocery bag folded closed and placed inside pack. Normally the camera is carried attached to my shoulder straps or in a hip pouch.

The above gives me two layers of protection - the pack itself, and the plastic bags that the sensitive items are stored in. To this I always add an external pack cover. It gives a third layer of protection.
    Is it perfect? No.
    Would it suffice by itself? Probably not.
    Does it offer protection, even when I take the pack off/around camp/overnight? Yes.
    Can I still use my rain jacket AND keep the pack protected when I take the pack off? Yes.
    Do I find it easier then messing with a poncho? Definitely.
    Have I ever had my gear get dangerously wet? Not in well over 30 years of extensive backpacking in all kinds of weather.
    Will I consider foregoing the pack cover? Nope! The system weights less than 4 oz. and has worked 100% of the time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

One final note: I used to use a poncho. Worked ok in many conditions. Always a hassle to get it on in an effective way without help, especially on a windy day. When hiking above tree line, in high wind on the Continental Divide Trail many, many years ago I was quite a sight. At the time, I carried a wooden staff, as tall as me. Due to the wind, I had a cord wrapped around my waist, outside the poncho to try and keep it from blowing sideways off of me and the pack. I came up over a rise, and a group of other hikers burst out laughing. Said I looked just like Moses - poncho, gathered at waist, tall staff, full beard. Gave them quite the chuckle - so I guess that is an added benefit to ponchos. :-)
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-24-2015 at 09:20.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xrayextra View Post
    If you slip and fall into a stream (albeit not likely), you know everything will be dry.
    Maybe not likely, but I've done exactly that. Everything stayed dry in the compactor bag in the pack under the pack cover.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Parsimonious curmudgeon Slack-jawed Trog's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Just curious how the water got in.
    Caleb, the water didn't get into my trash bag liner (those items stayed dry). The water leaked in around compartment zippers, and I found over a liter had pooled in the bottom compartment of my pack, soaked my kitchen real good...
    Slack-jawed Troglodyte

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Maybe not likely, but I've done exactly that. Everything stayed dry in the compactor bag in the pack under the pack cover.
    Worked for me in stream slips but also wading up to my shoulders on the New England trail, My wife's stuff got a bit wet but she was dog paddling.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++