WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Connie,
    You're welcome.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Is your main goal to hike or to take photos? I run a small photo business and take photos on the trail. That being said, if you are hiking long distances, a small camera is your friend. I would suggest a high-end point and shoot that takes RAW images. That will allow you more editing flexibility on the back end - and save your other back end from getting tired! I'd probably suggest leaving the DSLR at home.

I should think about putting my old Olympus XA 35mm back into service. For a shirt pocket 35mm, it took some really nice photos. I switched to digital just so I could take a whole lot more shots and not worry about film.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR with GPS 15x zoom, starting at 24mm wide has a setting for Fujifilm gets RAW, however you will need to use their own software downloaded at their website.

If it was me i would get the "sony SLT-A99V" right now you will save $200 if you bundle it with the lens SEL55210 but if not the camera will cost $1,999.99 but like i say you can save $200 if you get the lens.

Have you looked into the Sony A7s? Those seem pretty sweet and lightweight. But you would need to get 150gbs of sd cards easily. And 3 or 4 batteries. But the take great photos and videos.

Also take a look at this:
    http://www.trail-pix.com/products/un...ndard-ballhead

I just found out about these and it seems to be a great tripod solution. (If you carry trekking pokes)

Images

I'm not a shutterbug but I sure would like to have one of those small point and shoot Leica offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    I'm not a shutterbug but I sure would like to have one of those small point and shoot Leica offerings.
    Buy the Panasonic clone. Fund your thru hike with the change.
    My Olympus friends and I are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 64 megapixel Olympus. If it is significantly better than the current model, I might have to buy one. And the Canon and Leica to Olympus adapters.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

If you're firm about a DSLR, another vote for the Canon SL1 (APS-C sensor). I have and use both that and a full-frame Canon, and I really have a hard time easily spotting the overall difference in image quality. The real benefit of the full frame is the ability to shoot high ISO's with much less noise. I have made damn-sharp enlargements up to 20x30 with this little DSLR.

The Canon SL1 is maybe the lightest APS-C sensor size DSLR out there, or at least close. It is going these days for just over $300.

I simply cannot hike well with my full-frame Canon, that extra pound-plus in the camera body feels like a boat anchor.

As far as lenses, I carry and use the relatively new, cheap and excellent Canon 10-18mm which is equivalent to 16-27mm on a full frame NICE and wide. I also carry a Canon 24mm (38mm equiv, perfect "normal" lens IMHO) most of the time, sometimes a 50mm (80mm equiv) and when I expect wildlife, a Canon 70-300mm (300mm = 480mm, really nice and long).

As a side note, because I have a gorgeous 4x5 sitting in my closet (a Takahara clone) and a trio of excellent large format lenses (Nikkor 90, 125 and 210mm's), I simple cannot wait for a reasonably priced 4x5 digital camera back!!!! (I have tried many years ago to backpack with my 4x5, but man those film holders get heavy....)

If you are really into photography and planning to do it as a business shouldn't you KNOW what good equipment is and not have to ask a bunch of hiker trash? I'm not hating but if you plan on investing in a business...

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    If you are really into photography and planning to do it as a business shouldn't you KNOW what good equipment is and not have to ask a bunch of hiker trash? I'm not hating but if you plan on investing in a business...

As i stated in the OP I am VERY familiar with FILM cameras but not so much with digital. i have been selling some photos for the last few years while using FILM cameras. I am asking about using DIGITAL cameras on the TRAIL. if you had no worthwhile response, why respond at all? i'm not hating, just curious.

to everyone else, thank you very much for the responses. I am doing some more research on a couple of different models that have been recommended by you all. trying to decide between a full DSLR or something smaller with less lens options.

Images

Here's an article on the Canon SL1:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/rebel-sl1.htm

By Ken Rockwell; some hate him, some love him, I think his write-ups are decent and honest. This little gem is really not much, if any heavier than the mirrorless APS-C sensor cameras out there, and fairly close in weight to the half-frame sized systems (like the Olympus) but has a larger sensor than those. It's 14 ounces. Canon also recently release a teeny-tiny very light 4 ounce 24mm lens for it, and already have a teeny-tiny 4-ounce 40mm lens for it. You can develop a really lightweight system (for a big-sized sensor camera, that is) with the SL1 body, very easy to backpack with.

One more point then I'll shut up about it: I do not like the kit 18-55mm lens that usually comes with it. I'd opt for the 17-55 mentioned below or just go with a couple/few primes (like the 24 and 40mm) and the 10-18mm zoom for the ultra-wide end. If you want a long zoom as well, the 55-250mm is very light for that much "throw", and the image quality seems to be decent, though less so than the heavier 70-300mm (I did some side-by-side tests of my lenses).

I should explain. I,ve been in the position to see lots of good folks lose lots of money getting into businesses and make mistakes because they were "hobbyists" and not business types. A really good tip is to work for somebody else in the field in which you intend to open your business BEFORE you invest your money in your business. You may find that the hobby is no longer fun when it's a job.

Images

Last summer I chose a Richo GR to take to the JMT instead of my D5100. Must say, I was thoroughly satisfied with the creative control, ease of use, and extremely compact size/weight. APS-C size sensor, raw files, excellent lens.

Cool

The Olympus OMD-EM5 Mk II is now shipping from B&H. There are deals on lenses. One of the 12-Something Olympus zoom lenses would be fine on the AT. Under budget if you don't get too carried away with the lens. 12mm on this camera = 24mm in 35mm film speak. Sufficiently wide for landscapes & interiors.
    Weatherproofing
    Small
    Light
    5 axis IN CAMERA image stabilization. No need to pay for stabilization with every lens. Stabilization works with ALL legacy lenses from any maker.
    Small
    Light
    16 megapixels conventional sensor
    40 megapixels with sensor shifting
    Small
    Light
    Weatherproof
    You could do worse.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=&O=&A=details

Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++