WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Please don't plan on a May 15th start date!

Southbounders - did you know the last time the Hunt Trail to Baxter Peak opened on May 15th was 2002?

'14 The Hunt Trail opened on 5/29/2014, with a flagged detour just below the monkey bars. - Abol closed for season.
    '13 May 24th
    '12 May 20th
    '11 Park canceled traditional May 15th opening, Abol open Memorial day weekend, Hunt a few days after.
    '10 May 25th
    '09 May 20th for both Hunt and Abol
    '08 Park canceled traditional May 15th opening, Abol and Hunt open May 29th.
    '07 May 31st
    '06 Abol May 15th, Hunt May 18th
    '05 June 4th
    '04 May 16th, the AT was a brook between the Falls and the Hunt Spur.
    '03 May 24th
    '02 May 15th (Day hikers summited via Abol May 10th)
    So, even though the over night camping season begins on May 15th of each year, the AT (The Hunt Trail) to Baxter Peak does not.
    Abol usually opened before the Hunt trail, but it remains closed for the 2015 season. A re-route may open by the Fall of 2015.
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 03-10-2015 at 16:53.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Southbounders - did you know the last time the Hunt Trail to Baxter Peak opened on May 15th was 2002?

'14 Hunt open May 19th - Abol closed for season.
    '13 May 24th
    '12 May 20th
    '11 Park canceled traditional May 15th opening, Abol open Memorial day weekend, Hunt a few days after.
    '10 May 25th
    '09 May 20th for both Hunt and Abol
    '08 Park canceled traditional May 15th opening, Abol and Hunt open May 29th.
    '07 May 31st
    '06 Abol May 15th, Hunt May 18th
    '05 June 4th
    '04 May 16th, the AT was a brook between the Falls and the Hunt Spur.
    '03 May 24th
    '02 May 15th (Day hikers summited via Abol May 10th)
    So, even though the over night camping season begins on May 15th of each year, the AT (The Hunt Trail) to Baxter Peak does not.
    Abol usually opened before the Hunt trail, but it remains closed for the 2015 season. A re-route may open by the Fall of 2015.

Teej,

Re: 14. I didnt think that the Hunt Trail to Baxter Peak opened until 1 June?

Just rechecked, firesign - May 29th.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Just rechecked, firesign - May 29th.
    Teej,

Not been pedantic mate, but I really hope the 29th is wrong also!
    I was dropped off at KSC by Ole Man on the 29th May, Katahdin was still closed having waited in Millinocket for 3days for the mountain to open. I set off for Monson and had to flip flop back to Millinocket (3rd June) and back down to Monson to continue my thru.

You have one of the most beautiful mountains in the world in the most beautiful country.

Take care mate.

++ New Posts ++