WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by watcher2015 View Post
    .....I know such advice as "search in the process of travelling/hiking" - in fact it does not work well....
    How do you know this does not work well? Where else do you think this potential spouse would be other than on a trail?

I would point out that you don't consider yourself very social and also do not plan to change. As relationships are social and require significant give and take, perhaps you should get comfortable with a bachelor's life. Nothing will screw up a 20-year plan like a wife and kids.

Dasvidania

Try Craigslist.com there is something there for everybody.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Images

About travelling with kids. (I see many answers point that it is almost impossible.)
    I definitely have not such experience yet.
    But I have read a couple of great books that cover this topic almost completely.
    So everything is much more simple than it looks. Although certainly it depends on place of living and background of parents. (As I understand, in mainland US society such lifestyle really would be more complex than in second world - just because more developed societies have much more strict rules on "how family with kids should live and behave in socially acceptable way.")

Check these books in Amazon or another book store if you are interested:
    "Babes in the Woods" Jennifer Aist,
    "Travels with Baby" Shelly Rivoli.
    Well, you did pose this question on a U.S. based website, so you should expect replies reflecting U.S. cultural norms and experiences. And I assume you are not planning to live like a refugee. While Russian culture obviously differs from that of the U.S., you don't live in a third world country. I'm pretty sure most of your peers probably think your plan is a bit unlikely as well.

FWIW, my wife and I raised four children roughly 2 years apart each. We traveled quite a bit with them, but not by foot other than day hikes when they were very young. The six of us (children's ages 5,7,9,11) spent three summer months in a pop-up (tent) trailer, traveling and camping cross country while relocating. We had spent another eight weeks the year before in the same trailer touring the National Parks in the western U.S. And as fun as it was, the logistics of everything from dealing with the weather, cooking, eating, shopping, cleaning, laundry, bathing, etc. is much more difficult with such a limited "home." It would be near impossible on foot. Hiking and trekking any distance or length of time with young children just isn't a very realistic vision. Carrying babies/toddlers in a pack isn't a viable option for more than a day or so if you also have to carry both their and your other gear, however lightweight those may be. Even after they are of walking age, children tire quite easily, and are more susceptible to injury than adults.

I started my kids hiking overnights of 3 to 4 miles on easy terrain at age 5, with them carrying just a bit of their own gear, typically their sleeping bag and perhaps some clothing. I carried mine and the bulk of theirs. That's about their limit both physically and from an attention standpoint at that age. We moved up to slightly longer and more challenging 2 night hikes as they got older. It wasn't until they were about 12 that they were able to function as equals, carry all their own gear plus common gear, and act as "young adults" on longer more difficult hikes.

I caution you, it will be extremely difficult to do any serious hiking with babies or very young children. Until you live it, you just don't understand the challenges and logistics. I would imagine that many others share my experience. The first ten years or so when you start a family is just not conducive to doing a lot of serious hiking. And I would venture that this would be true in Russia as well.

I do wish you the best of fortune in meeting a nice young lady. Perhaps you should focus more on how much you simply like being with a woman who might be a good wife, and a loving companion for life, rather than how she fits into a list of your hiking goals. There is a lot more to life than hiking. Those who seek unrealistic partners often wind up very lonely, a fate likely worse than not hiking.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Hey everyone where can I find a wife who is 5'4", 120 lbs, has a C-cup bust, will hike the AT, PCT, CDT, and LT with me (but only southbound on the LT); also she needs to cook a flawless eggplant parm with a canister stove and drop everything on a dime when im ready to hike....she needs to be financially independent and have no binding career ties...oh and she should be orthodox Christian but not TOO religious if you know what I mean, and preferably willing to have 3 kids and cart them along with us. Oh and also she needs to have bright auburn hair but not be a TRUE redhead. Like that rusty autumn maple leaf color. Know what I mean?

Anyone know where I can find one of those?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    Hey everyone where can I find a wife who is 5'4", 120 lbs, has a C-cup bust, will hike the AT, PCT, CDT, and LT with me (but only southbound on the LT); also she needs to cook a flawless eggplant parm with a canister stove and drop everything on a dime when im ready to hike....she needs to be financially independent and have no binding career ties...oh and she should be orthodox Christian but not TOO religious if you know what I mean, and preferably willing to have 3 kids and cart them along with us. Oh and also she needs to have bright auburn hair but not be a TRUE redhead. Like that rusty autumn maple leaf color. Know what I mean?

Yep. Just close your eyes, count 40 sheep, and before you know it she'll be running into your arms. In slow motion. On the beach.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

anyone wanna place bets on how long it'll be till this thread is moved to the humor forum? I mean.. a Russian looking to Marry, millions of Russian Brides on the internet, he wants to spend life hiking, I see so many possibilities here! But I'll keep my nose clean and let you guys do the roasting.

Hook this guy up with Minnesota Smith for tips on how to accomplish this goal. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    anyone wanna place bets on how long it'll be till this thread is moved to the humor forum? I mean.. a Russian looking to Marry, millions of Russian Brides on the internet, he wants to spend life hiking, I see so many possibilities here! But I'll keep my nose clean and let you guys do the roasting.
    like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rXhXLsNJL8

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I think there is a Buying Gear section here somewhere.

Good luck
    Laughed out loud at this one!

Sounds like a real cultural difference in Russia vs US. It really sounds like he's shopping for a used piece of gear. But then again, as Tina Turner once said, "What's love got to do with it?". As long as she has her own independent income, is willing to make babies with him, then haul them around on her back, all while not speaking to him unless he happens to be in a sociable mood. Can't believe he doesn't have a line around the block yet!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    You are probably going to have to work a bit on the social thing. If you are then lucky and find a woman with a similar agenda, and "make kids" as planned, you will quickly learn about the joys of having children. And their needs. And how having small children fits in with a nomadic lifestyle. On the plus side, after 30 posts, you can sell a lot of your used gear here to buy diapers.
    Joys? You can keep em. It sounds more like a ball and chain to me. Your freedom will be gone when you have to start changing those diapers. When little Johnny or Janie starts getting the sniffles on the trail it's time to go home. Don't forget to carry the formula, the stuff for diaper rash and all the other assorted baby paraphernalia.
    Last edited by Alligator; 03-07-2015 at 02:54. Reason: No politics.

Probably not in CO.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

What will really happen if you move to the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Z91YkPatw

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries

Acccording to scientists, the red hair gene is disappearing. That means that most redheads now come out of a bottle. Once the little poop machines start showing up, it's the end of traveling.

I really believe that the person that started this thread intended this as a joke. Anyway, I haven't been caught yet. I;m able to come and go as I please.

Journal Entries

Now it's time for a reality check. No more fooling around from me. This guy is in supposedly from Russia. He probably wants to come to the U.S. He is looking for a wife here. I think that's called a "Marriage of Convenience". That is almost my last saying on this one. Again, I'm not a troll. I'm a realist.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Now it's time for a reality check. No more fooling around from me. This guy is in supposedly from Russia. He probably wants to come to the U.S. He is looking for a wife here. I think that's called a "Marriage of Convenience". That is almost my last saying on this one. Again, I'm not a troll. I'm a realist.
    Granted the OP is likely not genuine however, unless I overlooked it, there was never any suggestion that he was trying to come to the US nor that he was seeking a US bride. Sorry NY HIKER 50 but, you cannot make things up then call yourself a "realist".

Journal Entries

I got the impression it was implied. If he was really looking for a Russian bride he would not have been posting here. Maybe I didn't make this up.

It is the most active or one of the most active hiking forums that I could find. That's why I decided to ask my question here. (I'm not looking here for travel companions. So, please don't move this topic to the secеion for searching travel buddies. I'm just asking for opinions.)...

Doesn't imply US immigration or bride, only that this is a forum of like minded individuals.

Acccording to scientists, the red hair gene is disappearing. That means that most redheads now come out of a bottle. Once the little poop machines start showing up, it's the end of traveling.

I really believe that the person that started this thread intended this as a joke. Anyway, I haven't been caught yet. I;m able to come and go as I please.
    Sorry to hear this...I love RED HEADS.

You actually kinda hit the proverbial nail on the head, in as much as. If a women wants to get caught she can, all she has to do is stop walkin' Same goes for a man...kinda, only in this case he lowers his standards. I think the OP needs to lower his standards of expectation, might end up being happier in the long run, marriage is give and take, not take and then expect and take more.

I asked my question here with a purpose to get some opinion from a "typical long-distance hiker". Ideally from a "typical long-distance lady-hiker".

The key point is that there is not any "typical Russian long-distance hikers". (Because there is no well-established long-distance hikes on the territory of Russia.) And (considering that there is no similar European forum like this one) there is not even "typical European long-distance hiker".
    Long-distance hiking is very unique hobby outside of US. It is a hobby of a very small amount of so-called "strange people", "people with particularities".

That's why the only way to get opinions on my life plans from "typical long-distance hikers" is to ask them here - on US forum, because in US long-distance hiking is well-established part of "mass culture".

(I'm not planning to come to live to US due to many circumstances. Even if I would be able to do it accidentally. Relax. )

In any case the whole process of communication on this forum made me come to the conclusion that schedule of travels will be done approximately in the following way:

1. One 6-month long-distance hike made by me alone or in the period of initial relationships with future wife.
    2. One 6 month long-distance hike in the period when our kids (from 0.5 up to 2-3 years old) can be moved on our backs inside backpacks and/or in jogging trolleys.
    3. One 6-month long-distance hike in the period when our kids will be around 10-13 years old and will be able to walk actively on their own feets.
    4. And one 6-month long distance hike in the period when some of our kids will be adult already and other will be close to 16-18 years old.

So the total number of really large hikes for the next 20 years will be just 4 (four). One per each 5 years.

Between these large long distance hikes we will perform other short travels to different travels of different kinds (standard beanch/city-based, car-based, and some small hikes with length from several days up to 2 months or so). So these travels/hikes will not be really physically demanding.

Do you think that such plan looks realistic?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++