WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How to find a wife for hiking for the next 20 years?

It is the most active or one of the most active hiking forums that I could find. That's why I decided to ask my question here. (I'm not looking here for travel companions. So, please don't move this topic to the secеion for searching travel buddies. I'm just asking for opinions.)

I plan to turn hiking into central stream of my life for the next 20 years. Each year I plan to spend from 1 up to 6 months for hiking. Planned routes cover almost the whole world, except the most dangerous tropical regions, because it is planned to make kids during the same next 20 years.

By now I have already general travel experience over several tens countries on several continents. And some relatively small experience of hiking in different altitudes in different conditions in different types of mountains.

So I'm looking for a wife who would have plans in following the same nomadic lifestyle (with hiking as central stream of such lifestyle) for the next 20 years as I do.

Problems:
    1. I'm not a very social person. I always travel/hike alone. And I do not plan to change my habits cardinally.
    2. It is planned to hike/travel together with kids. So my future wife should be psychologically ready for such long hikes with having kids in backpack etc.
    3. My future wife also should have semi-freelancing/semi-business sources of income as I do to be available for such travels.

I know such advice as "search in the process of travelling/hiking" - in fact it does not work well.
    And I know such solution as "reach your personal limit, and you will find there all you want".

However I would prefer to hear some more practical advices. Maybe stories from some people etc.

Thanks.

Sounds like you should start looking for your "future wife" on the trail. I also very envious but dumfounded that you can plan 20 years in advance. I think regardless, just let life play out and you'll be sure to find someone special on the way.

Journal Entries

Ive met several promising wife prospects on trails.
    If only I wasnt already married.....

Quote Originally Posted by watcher2015 View Post
    It is the most active or one of the most active hiking forums that I could find. That's why I decided to ask my question here. (I'm not looking here for travel companions. So, please don't move this topic to the secеion for searching travel buddies. I'm just asking for opinions.)

I plan to turn hiking into central stream of my life for the next 20 years. Each year I plan to spend from 1 up to 6 months for hiking. Planned routes cover almost the whole world, except the most dangerous tropical regions, because it is planned to make kids during the same next 20 years.

By now I have already general travel experience over several tens countries on several continents. And some relatively small experience of hiking in different altitudes in different conditions in different types of mountains.

So I'm looking for a wife who would have plans in following the same nomadic lifestyle (with hiking as central stream of such lifestyle) for the next 20 years as I do.

Problems:
    1. I'm not a very social person. I always travel/hike alone. And I do not plan to change my habits cardinally.
    2. It is planned to hike/travel together with kids. So my future wife should be psychologically ready for such long hikes with having kids in backpack etc.
    3. My future wife also should have semi-freelancing/semi-business sources of income as I do to be available for such travels.

I know such advice as "search in the process of travelling/hiking" - in fact it does not work well.
    And I know such solution as "reach your personal limit, and you will find there all you want".

However I would prefer to hear some more practical advices. Maybe stories from some people etc.

Thanks.
    www.loveme.com/tour/nizhniy-novgorod try here
    www.eharmony.com
    Good luck

Images

Quote Originally Posted by watcher2015 View Post
    I plan to turn hiking into central stream of my life for the next 20 years. Each year I plan to spend from 1 up to 6 months for hiking. Planned routes cover almost the whole world, except the most dangerous tropical regions, because it is planned to make kids during the same next 20 years. . . .So I'm looking for a wife who would have plans in following the same nomadic lifestyle (with hiking as central stream of such lifestyle) for the next 20 years as I do.

Problems:
    You are probably going to have to work a bit on the social thing. If you are then lucky and find a woman with a similar agenda, and "make kids" as planned, you will quickly learn about the joys of having children. And their needs. And how having small children fits in with a nomadic lifestyle. On the plus side, after 30 posts, you can sell a lot of your used gear here to buy diapers.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I think there is a Buying Gear section here somewhere.

Good luck

I doubt that it is much different in Russia as it is in the US.
    If you want to find a woman with similar interests, you need to go put yourself in that environment.
    If you like to travel, then travel, don't look for one at a church bazaar.

If you really want an open minded girl, try going to some rainbow festivals, or music festivals (there's a big international one on Borneo every year in July I believe it is).
    Other ideas: organic farms, barter fairs, and yes, thru-hikers is not a bad place to put yourself to find someone.

But, finding the perfect woman is something we all have been looking for. I doubt you'll find her.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Hmmmmm
    AppalachianMatch.com

enjoy your time to yourself. If something happens... hey!
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
    Albert Einstein

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18107

Find a Swiss woman, they love long walks and are as practical as can be!

Mail order Russian Bride perhaps?

Recently I had a conversation with my wife that started with her asking me if It bothered me that she has no desire to come with me on my trips to which I replied not at all. Granted I'm not gone for months at a time but she has no issues with my trips that are usually a week or less so it works out well.

Not to be a buzz kill or anything but as a parent I can tell you things will change radically when children arrive. Your priorities and perspectives may change dramatically. They did for me at least. BC (Before Children) I was on the go 12 months a year, 9 months hang gliding, 3 months snowboarding and when my daughter showed up there wasn't anything I wanted more than to be home with her. the change was radical and I loved (and still love) it! My advise is chase every adventure you possibly can and when the time is right it will happen. Until then don't sweat it. Enjoy the freedom of being single and flexible enough to seize every opportunity for adventure.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Images

Do you want to hike for only 20 years or a wife for only 20 years? What happens after 20 years?

You might want to try looking up international hiking clubs on the web. The Sierra Club probably has planned hikes all over the world.

Please keep us posted

I see you are from Russia. There are a milllion Russian brides all over the internet........

Look for someone in your area of semi-freelancing/semi-business sources of income. I have found the most women I know "nest" into a house when starting a family....one of my copilots went from living the dream of life aboard a sailboat in California to firm entrenchment into suburbia (like me ad my wife), and she wont go back.

Wife and family overrides any hiking aspiration. That's just me.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    You are probably going to have to work a bit on the social thing. If you are then lucky and find a woman with a similar agenda, and "make kids" as planned, you will quickly learn about the joys of having children. And their needs. And how having small children fits in with a nomadic lifestyle. On the plus side, after 30 posts, you can sell a lot of your used gear here to buy diapers.

I do agree with it may be time to work on the social thing. As I read your post (the OP), there are signs and red flags of some deep rooted issues that need to be brought to the surface to be dealt with healed and resolved. One big tell tail sign is you are asking for a specific fairly tail ending. Not saying you can not get it, but it is a sign that you will resist anything outside your comfort range.

But outside your comfort range is where it is likely to happen, pushing you along just like the blazes of the trail and lead you to a better place.

Your job type and your desire to be alone also point to something that might need healing and you appear to be dealing with it with basically a lets restart the world and leave the old world behind approach. Wanting a new start is great, however their may be better ways to accomplish this.

Good Luck

Good thing I didn't read this 30 years ago! I would have definitely tried to meet you. I had very similar plans and desires for my life. Then I met and married a very structured, academic, stay home kind of guy. I got him out a bit and he got me home a bit. So glad that happened- balance is a wonderful thing! Good luck! I hope you meet your kindred spirit out there.

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    I see you are from Russia. There are a milllion Russian brides all over the internet........
    There's a reason there's a "million Russian brides all over the internet". Can you imagine the disappointment when one of em discovers where their prospective groom is from?

Really I'm just assuming there's a million Russian brides on the net and the reasons for it. I don't really know. The imagined scene in my head of when she finds out the interested party is a block away was pretty funny though.

Images

If you try to take any person on these trips, you'll find them complaining. If you take a spouse, you can be guaranteed it will be outright annoying as much as it is enjoyable. It sounds like your doing just fine on your own. If you want to hike, keep hiking. However, if you seek a wife and children...well that's completely different than hiking and having adventures on your own. Most people don't want to be outdoors six months a year, especially people with children. Also children need to be around other kids so they don't grow up to be unsociable. And once you have children, you realize that you can never give them enough of yourself or resources for living. Most of the time you will be faced with getting those resources. If you already have a million dollars and a home, then you might be able to continue to hike, but you will find that your wife resents being left with raising your children while you walk around. You think they will go with you, and they will some of the time, but many times you will find the responsibilities of life have you too busy or too tired to go very far from the home. You will begin to look like your father. Planning, saving, worrying about the future. Hiking will come again if you survive the work of having a family and still have the fortitude to do it. GL out there.
    See ya when I get there.

About travelling with kids. (I see many answers point that it is almost impossible.)
    I definitely have not such experience yet.
    But I have read a couple of great books that cover this topic almost completely.
    So everything is much more simple than it looks. Although certainly it depends on place of living and background of parents. (As I understand, in mainland US society such lifestyle really would be more complex than in second world - just because more developed societies have much more strict rules on "how family with kids should live and behave in socially acceptable way.")

Check these books in Amazon or another book store if you are interested:
    "Babes in the Woods" Jennifer Aist,
    "Travels with Baby" Shelly Rivoli.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++