WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

those are not all waterproof. would mean a second hat for rain. i have this for hat, but don't like it for hiking.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I'm thinking, because I want to keep some creature comforts, to get a photon with a red light and clip that to the structural ridge line of my hammock.

I've tried a petzl e+lite and was unimpressed. I'd rather have my streamlight.

If the e+LITE was the newer version (which you didn't like), and you want to get a Photon, you're not going to like the Photon. I have the newest e+LITE and the Photon Freedom (with the holder to make it into a clip so you can put it on the brim of your hat to use as a headlamp), and I find the e+LITE to be a much brighter light. The e+LITE has 5 lumens for 70 h on low, and 26 lm for 55 h on high. The Photon is 4.5 lumens max for 12 hours (both sets of numbers are exaggerated I'm sure). I find the Photon only useful as a headlamp for close-up tasks, and would only dare to use it for things like hiking at night if I had to (only once my my night vision is adapted to the dark it's so-so, but that's about it - e+LITE is MUCH better).

Both are unregulated lights if my memory serves - so they're also going to get dimmer and dimmer as the battery runs out. That is OK for a LONG time with the e+LITE, but will become a problem a lot quicker with the Photon.

The Photon with batteries, clip, and lanyard is .52 ounce; the e+LITE with batteries is .92 ounces, FYI.

Really the light you take should depend on the environment your heading off into. In the middle of summer on a trail I know well I have no problem carrying just a photon. On longer trips or in unfamiliar territory I want at least something on par with the Ion, and for winter I won't use anything but my Zebralight or Fenix headlamps.

Journal Entries

How much light do you really need?
    Really need?

On a trail, about all you need is to see the trail a few feet in front of you.

Most like a lot of light, but it isnt necessary, its comforting.

Images

I don't hike at night, I carry 1 red for shelters and 1 white photon light. Have not needed more in the last 2000 miles.

+1 for the E-lite. I've really needed anything more.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-LED-Flash.../dp/B003XRX45K

I use to see these at Wallys. I'd bring one with me when hiking just in case the headlamp failed. They last forever.

I carry two Photons. They have provided all the light I've needed on my hikes. I like the idea of complete redundancy (with this very light item) vs 1 light and a spare battery.

I hang one Photon from the zipper pull of my insulation layer. In camp I usually have that layer on and so I always know where my light is. I have the other clipped with my Classic knife to the back of my pack so they both are easy to access. I usually have a dot of Velcro on one Photon and another dot on the bill of my cap so I can use the light hands free.

I don't do a lot of night hiking but I have put in many miles of night hiking with the Photon when the situation arose and it worked fine.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Mini-LED-Flash.../dp/B003XRX45K

I use to see these at Wallys. I'd bring one with me when hiking just in case the headlamp failed. They last forever.
    Hah! I have one just like it! The tow truck company put one on my key chain last time I had to call them :-) It's got their phone number on it...

My plan is both. My 3.5 oz headlamp for night hiking, privy trips, emergencies. red light in shelters. It has red light, is dimmable, has flash to call for help. wide and narrow beam.
    Also the 1 oz AAA flashlight inc. clip. Mostly for in tent use, mostly as a ceiling light, I can read by it, dig thru my pack by it, But most of all use the flashlight as a "porch light" so I can find my way back to my tent in the dark. I can't imagine getting lost on the way back from the privy, a real possibility.

I like that: I like the idea of the velcro dot.

I have two Photons: one has a sliding ON/OFF switch, one is squeeze for low light, repeat to get the light brighter.

I like that adjustable light Photon because I like to preserve my night vision. The low light can be courteous around other campers but, the fact is, for me anyway I don't need bright lights. Others do. But I don't.

I admit I have tried nightwalking: it does help with feeling where you put your feet.

I just haven't had a problem with stumbling around.

Only if others are muddling through, I want bright lights.

For me, the two Photons are all I want.

Default Ha! Beat ya!

It's not often I get to compete with you UL guys, but here's my lighting gear:

Coleman mini-LED headlamp with homemade w/red filter: 1.2oz $10
    4 - cr2032 spare batteries: .5oz $5
    Swiss+Tech mini-stretch LED: .6oz $6
    4 - LR41 spare batteries: .1oz $7

Total for headlamp, tent lantern, and spare batteries: 2.4oz $28

You: Petzl Tikka Plus 2 LED Headlamp: 2.9oz $31.99

Ha! Beat ya by .5oz and 4 bucks!

But if I planned to do any hiking in the dark, I'd take your Petzl and 3 AAA's to my little wafer batteries in a heartbeat. I just can't see myself hiking in the dark (seriously!). To me, lighting is just a minor luxury. If I were one of you 10-pounder guys, I'd take a keychain light and be done with it.

Images

i carry a 3 oz. headlamp (which is heavy for UL) no back-up light or batteries. if they go dead i'll survive till town.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

I recently bought a 1-oz Bright Medic FireFly (orange) headlamp on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Medic-F...s=bright+medic. So far I am impressed with the way it is constructed but I haven't put it through more rigorous field tests yet. After a season of use I should be able to tell if is as good as it seems. They claim 36 hours on 2 CR2032 batteries and the batteries are really light, so it wouldn't be much burden to take extra 2 or 4 of them. You have to press the button for 1.2 seconds to turn it on and this is to prevent accidental activation in the pack. You first get red LEDs to come on and then you can press again to cycle through high, low and blinking white and then off. If you don't press the button for 30 seconds then a single press turns it off. There is a rubber seal around battery cover and it is supposedly rated IPX6. You won't get nearly as much light as from a headlamp that takes 3 AAAs but I found that I don't need much light when moving around the tent in the evening and this headlamp seems more than adequate.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    "Ditch my headlamp to shave some serious weight" Wow, a few ounces is SERIOUS! You don't need it until you do. I take my headlamp on day hikes. I guess you could always borrow one from another hiker.
    Yeah, this. I'm reasonably serious about reducing weight, but my headlamp always goes in my pack.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Just a heads up if you are going to Baxter State Park. Park regulations require each hiker to carry a flashlight.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    I carry two Photons. They have provided all the light I've needed on my hikes. I like the idea of complete redundancy (with this very light item) vs 1 light and a spare battery.

I hang one Photon from the zipper pull of my insulation layer. In camp I usually have that layer on and so I always know where my light is. I have the other clipped with my Classic knife to the back of my pack so they both are easy to access. I usually have a dot of Velcro on one Photon and another dot on the bill of my cap so I can use the light hands free.

I don't do a lot of night hiking but I have put in many miles of night hiking with the Photon when the situation arose and it worked fine.
    A triple crowner who survived over 6,000 miles with two photons. Did you ever encounter and emergency situation when you wish you had more light? Enlighten us!

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    Just a heads up if you are going to Baxter State Park. Park regulations require each hiker to carry a flashlight.
    What constitutes a flashlight? Is a photon acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Did you ever encounter and emergency situation when you wish you had more light? Enlighten us!...
    I don't recall any situation like that. I never wish I had carried a headlamp instead on any of those hikes, that's for sure.

The darker it is the brighter a light seems. For me carrying two Photons is not a safety risk when it comes to lighting.

Journal Entries

I carry a .44 oz AAA light that clips on hat bill. With .27 oz energizer ultimate lithium battery it weighs 0.71 oz. Puts out 15 hrs @20 L, and 1.5 hrs @80 L. I hike on low, and hit high for seconds at a time when needed.

What you learn, is that you really dont see any more on high that you do on low, its just brighter.

Ive hiked hundreds of miles in the dark on trails, never needed anything more. Much of the time all you need to see, is that you arent going to step on a snake or something. You just look at the trail 5 ft in front of you.

I prefer to hike in early morning, vs late evening. That way, if something goes wrong, its only an hour or two till daylight, not 10 hrs. Best hiking of the day is the hour before sunrise. At least in warmer weather.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-07-2015 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    I don't recall any situation like that. I never wish I had carried a headlamp instead on any of those hikes, that's for sure.

The darker it is the brighter a light seems. For me carrying two Photons is not a safety risk when it comes to lighting.
    What color photons were you utilizing? Were they both the white lights?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++