WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries

I haven't read all the posts yet. Most headlamps are 3 ounces or less. That's not much. If you really want to you can get a maglite solitaire. But. I know most of the time that I'm in the sack by the time it gets dark in the summer. You may still get caught out in the dark and you need the headlamp. Like others say, you might not need one but it's there when you do.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Mini-LED-Flash.../dp/B003XRX45K

I use to see these at Wallys. I'd bring one with me when hiking just in case the headlamp failed. They last forever.
    I would use nothing with screws.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    I carry two Photons. They have provided all the light I've needed on my hikes. I like the idea of complete redundancy (with this very light item) vs 1 light and a spare battery.

I hang one Photon from the zipper pull of my insulation layer. In camp I usually have that layer on and so I always know where my light is. I have the other clipped with my Classic knife to the back of my pack so they both are easy to access. I usually have a dot of Velcro on one Photon and another dot on the bill of my cap so I can use the light hands free.

I don't do a lot of night hiking but I have put in many miles of night hiking with the Photon when the situation arose and it worked fine.
    Photons have screws. Nuff said. No screws!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Photons have screws. Nuff said. No screws!!
    Photons dont have screws. Perhaps cheap imitations do.

They have a snap-in backplate that requires a pretty stiff tool with sharp point to pry out. I would rate it impossible to change battery in dark. With high likelihood of skewering the hand holding it. They need to make the back screw off imo with a coin.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-08-2015 at 14:14.

Photons do not have screws, and have certainly proven to be extremely reliable and durable.

MuddyWaters, what brand flashlight are you using?

I'm starting to look more at the Fenix LD01

Journal Entries

The Photon Microlight II I had did have screws. You must be talking about the one without the switch. Another problem I encountered is they are not waterproof. Anything with screws is a pain on the trail if you drop them since they are as small as watch screws. I dumped mine for those reasons.

Another thing, I had the sensibility to start standardizing my batteries. You will not find a CR2032 or any button battery in a small trailside store. They cost 5-10.00 apiece anyway. I started to use flashlights with either AA or AAA batteries which are easier to find.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    So my transition to UL backpacking is bringing me to ditch the headlamp.

I currently use a Petzl Tikka Plus Two and it has served as great headlamp. I like the red feature too.

I am more and more realizing that all though I do use it all the time when I'm out hiking and camping, it's only because I have it in my pack. Furthermore, on my regular overnights and such I'm not hiking all day and usually arrive to camp relatively early. So there's some hanging out to do. If I were hiking all day, I would have much less use for the light. I have also noticed that the more and more I don't use my lamp, the more comfortable I get in the dark woods. But I've noticed that most of the time, moonlight is brighter than you think and after a while my eyes get a heightened sense of "night vision" Most of you UL's have probably already realized this and that's why you carry a miniscule light.

I want too ditch my headlamp to shave some serious weight. But I want to stay safe and retain some luxuries.

I'm thinking, because I want to keep some creature comforts, to get a photon with a red light and clip that to the structural ridge line of my hammock. Therefore, when kicking back in my hammock I can just reach up and clock on my red light. I can also remove it and use it accordingly. I'm pretty much sold on having this. I would carry a spare battery for it in my repair kit.

Now, because I'm a wimp. I want to bring another handheld flashlight for some more serious work. If I need to walk anywhere at night or need to bail out a side trail, I don't want to be using a photon microlight with a red light.

I currently own a streamlight microstream single AAA flashlight. This thing is near and dear to me. It looks like it's been through hell. Cause it has. But it has proven to be a worthy companion and I don't question it's reliability in the woods. TBH, I trust it more than my plastic headlamp. It throws a decent light and lasts a long time on a single AAA. It weighs just over an ounce with a battery. I would also carry a backup lithium AAA for it.

I've tried a petzl e+lite and was unimpressed. I'd rather have my streamlight.

Furthermore, having this two light system is imho more reliable than only having one headlamp. Granted it would suck navigating with a photon, but it's better than no light.

Any recommendations on what you would do differently?
    So anyway 3 oz is too much? I think you now have a lot of info from mr =e and others.

Journal Entries

One last item from me: It is always good to have a backup light. I have had too many fail on me and it's good to have that.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I carry a .44 oz AAA light that clips on hat bill. With .27 oz energizer ultimate lithium battery it weighs 0.71 oz. Puts out 15 hrs @20 L, and 1.5 hrs @80 L. I hike on low, and hit high for seconds at a time when needed.
    What kind of light is that? Sounds interesting. The closest thing I could quickly find is this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Modes-80-lumen...5865992&sr=1-4

But the battery life isn't anywhere near as good as yours.
    Last edited by CalebJ; 03-08-2015 at 22:46.

Having your light quit in the middle of a dark night would put you between a rock and a hard place. Having a 1 oz. backup sounds like cheap insurance, and maybe even an extra set of batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    What color photons were you utilizing? Were they both the white lights?
    On the AT I carried one red (for shelters) and one white LED. Since then I usually carry two white Photons.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Having your light quit in the middle of a dark night would put you between a rock and a hard place. Having a 1 oz. backup sounds like cheap insurance, and maybe even an extra set of batteries.
    You can survive without a light for a night. Extra this, back-up this, just in case this, gets very very heavy !
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    You can survive without a light for a night. Extra this, back-up this, just in case this, gets very very heavy !
    Absolutely! Plus I keep gear packed/situated as to put my hands on in total darkness. Kind of second nature after a while.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Only if you are literally between a rock and hard place.
    otherwise, sit down and make yourself comfortable for a couple of hrs.

I prefer early morning hiking, to late at night for several reasons, but that is also one of them. I like sunrises though.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    The Photon Microlight II I had did have screws. You must be talking about the one without the switch. Another problem I encountered is they are not waterproof. Anything with screws is a pain on the trail if you drop them since they are as small as watch screws. I dumped mine for those reasons.
    Yeah, the one with the switch has 4 small screws. Thats a no go for sure.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-09-2015 at 20:24.

Images

Makes me think of some early explorers, Lewis/Clark, Daniel Boone, etc... sometimes rest during day and travel by night to avoid hostile enemies. Am sure they did not trapse carrying a torch at night, how did they do it...?

Images

Correct "traipse"

You can get headlamps that click on to your hat/visor at Bass Pro Shop. They are cheap and have 5 tiny but bright LED bulbs. More light than you will ever need. Also - you can hang them from your tent/tarp line at night. Total weight 1/3 of 1 ounce. Why wouldn't you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by PR Man View Post
    You can get headlamps that click on to your hat/visor at Bass Pro Shop. They are cheap and have 5 tiny but bright LED bulbs. More light than you will ever need. Also - you can hang them from your tent/tarp line at night. Total weight 1/3 of 1 ounce. Why wouldn't you have one?

Have a link to this by chance?

Also this is a great thread thank you for posting fastfox. It has opened me up to some options I'm interested in exploring.

I use one of these as well with a backup set of batteries and a small backup light.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5y2r6l720u_b

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-powered-.../dp/B000X9BF3E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Only if you are literally between a rock and hard place.
    otherwise, sit down and make yourself comfortable for a couple of hrs.

I prefer early morning hiking, to late at night for several reasons, but that is also one of them. I like sunrises though.

Yeah, the one with the switch has 4 small screws. Thats a no go for sure.
    Exactly my point. Where do you get the screwdriver for that? That's why I ditched it. Again, I standardized batteries to AA or AAA. People might say that the 2032 lasts, but try to replace it in a small trailside store.

"You can survive without a light for a night. Extra this, back-up this, just in case this, gets very very heavy ! "

Great point, but flashlights are smaller these days and a backup is not too heavy. The only items I have had problems with are flashlights and almost anything that uses batteries. Like someone said above if it goes just sit down or find a place nearby. Or, pull out the backup.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++