WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default UL lighting - I'm packing my fears

So my transition to UL backpacking is bringing me to ditch the headlamp.

I currently use a Petzl Tikka Plus Two and it has served as great headlamp. I like the red feature too.

I am more and more realizing that all though I do use it all the time when I'm out hiking and camping, it's only because I have it in my pack. Furthermore, on my regular overnights and such I'm not hiking all day and usually arrive to camp relatively early. So there's some hanging out to do. If I were hiking all day, I would have much less use for the light. I have also noticed that the more and more I don't use my lamp, the more comfortable I get in the dark woods. But I've noticed that most of the time, moonlight is brighter than you think and after a while my eyes get a heightened sense of "night vision" Most of you UL's have probably already realized this and that's why you carry a miniscule light.

I want too ditch my headlamp to shave some serious weight. But I want to stay safe and retain some luxuries.

I'm thinking, because I want to keep some creature comforts, to get a photon with a red light and clip that to the structural ridge line of my hammock. Therefore, when kicking back in my hammock I can just reach up and clock on my red light. I can also remove it and use it accordingly. I'm pretty much sold on having this. I would carry a spare battery for it in my repair kit.

Now, because I'm a wimp. I want to bring another handheld flashlight for some more serious work. If I need to walk anywhere at night or need to bail out a side trail, I don't want to be using a photon microlight with a red light.

I currently own a streamlight microstream single AAA flashlight. This thing is near and dear to me. It looks like it's been through hell. Cause it has. But it has proven to be a worthy companion and I don't question it's reliability in the woods. TBH, I trust it more than my plastic headlamp. It throws a decent light and lasts a long time on a single AAA. It weighs just over an ounce with a battery. I would also carry a backup lithium AAA for it.

I've tried a petzl e+lite and was unimpressed. I'd rather have my streamlight.

Furthermore, having this two light system is imho more reliable than only having one headlamp. Granted it would suck navigating with a photon, but it's better than no light.

Any recommendations on what you would do differently?

I don't do the whole red light thing (Well, maybe in Amsterdam), I'll use the photon on 1 or 2 night summer trips. Lately I've been using the newer BD Ion light, mixed reviews from people but I'm digging it. 1.5oz w/ batteries.

Longer hikes I always have a photon on a string around my neck regardless of what headlamp I'm using. It weighs almost nothing. My favorite light is still probably the ZL H51 but I've been moving away from it lately.

Images

I will preface my comments with everyone's style will dictate their choice of gear and I tend to use UL and fairly good fitness to act as a safety net in some cases. Because of this I always carry a headlamp that I could use to night hike. I used to carry a little mini headlamp but found it really can't be used for serious hiking at night. So this comes down to a safety item for me.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

"Ditch my headlamp to shave some serious weight" Wow, a few ounces is SERIOUS! You don't need it until you do. I take my headlamp on day hikes. I guess you could always borrow one from another hiker.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

you could ditch the headlamp altogether...........

and just make sure you do all your hiking and other chores during the daylight and then just sleep when its dark.........

but, i would still take a headlamp...............they really arent that heavy...........

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    I take my headlamp on day hikes
    I do too. Especially in winter. You never know...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    I do too. Especially in winter. You never know...
    I guess they are somewhat of a luxury though. I didn't have one in '92 on my thru...but I was envious of everyone that had one!

Images

I think that Malto's advice is sound. If things ever go bad and you need to bail at night, you will be wishing you had that headlamp.

For summer camping you could get away with out a headlamp. A small "AAA" lamp would be sufficient to find the privy in the middle of the night, which is the most you'd probably ever need it for.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Never know when an emergency is going to pop up and you need it.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

AT 2012

hello fastfox... I'm going to go with Malto's advice, too... keeping the option open to do some serious night hiking is a really good idea, however you decide to do that. ...and that would be for night hiking at either end of the night as well as the middle of...

I don't carry a "stupid light" headlamp -- i carry one that will keep me from getting lost on a really dark night on a leaf or snow covered trail. I find that looping the head strap over my hammock ridgeline is just about perfect for in hammock use, and handy enough for those midnight trips. Yes, on the moonlight thing, or stars most times...but there is an occasional night where you can't see your hand, let alone your feet. when do you start your hike?
    Lazarus

I love to night hike so my zebra headlight goes every time...I think I would rather forget tp than my headlight...I believe it's a very important piece of gear that could save your arse.....guess tp also saves ur arse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    hello fastfox... I'm going to go with Malto's advice, too... keeping the option open to do some serious night hiking is a really good idea, however you decide to do that. ...and that would be for night hiking at either end of the night as well as the middle of...

I don't carry a "stupid light" headlamp -- i carry one that will keep me from getting lost on a really dark night on a leaf or snow covered trail. I find that looping the head strap over my hammock ridgeline is just about perfect for in hammock use, and handy enough for those midnight trips. Yes, on the moonlight thing, or stars most times...but there is an occasional night where you can't see your hand, let alone your feet. when do you start your hike?
    You and Malto are right where I'm coming from and addressing my main concerns. My fear is not having enough light to do such an emergency task/bail out. I firmly consider a light to be a necessary "essential" when backpacking. That's why I suggested replacing my headlamp with two others. Is cutting weight on a good headlamp in the realm of "stupid light". You and Malto seem to suggest so, and I'm wondering if a photon and pen light at 2oz vs a reliable 4oz headlamp would suit a long distance hiker better.

2oz and 4oz are rough estimates, I'm just pointing out that the photon and pen light is about 50% the weight of one headlamp. I would always pack backup batteries for the lights.

I'm not starting my thru till 2016, and have never ever hiked without a petzl headlamp. So just I wanted to brain pick some of the UL'rs and their premises on carrying little lights.

Your right about keeping the option open to do some serious night hiking, I like options. What kind of lumens should I be looking for night hiking.

*On my long trail end to end, I helped SAR belay a woman with a broken ankle down the southside of Camel's hump. .. and after long hard work I had to hike down Camel's to the next camp during the dark. I was glad to have my headlamp. That climb down got the heart rate up at night during some iffy sections.

Did I just answer my own question?

Images

well......

here's my thoughts.....

a few years ago, i bought a super lightweight headlamp.................that weighed just above barely nothing....

however, with it being so light, it also meant that the actual light was not bright....

i literally could not read anything that was in front of my face...........

so, i just went to walmart and bought a cheap headlamp with much, much more lumens......

it was worth the 20 bucks i spent on it to be able to read something at night..................

as for lumens for night hiking----i would say as many as you can get...............

i think my light is either 75 or 100 lumens and it was perfect for my night hike up to leconte a few years ago.......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    *On my long trail end to end, I helped SAR belay a woman with a broken ankle down the southside of Camel's hump. .. and after long hard work I had to hike down Camel's to the next camp during the dark. I was glad to have my headlamp. That climb down got the heart rate up at night during some iffy sections.

Did I just answer my own question?
    i think you did. If you want to cut some weight and if you happen to use a visor you can just attach the headlamp to the back of the visor. When it gets dark, flip it around, no straps and you always know where you headlamp is.

here is my visor of choice, have to admit that I saw this on Skurkas site years ago.

http://www.chinawholesaletown.com/wh...s-Visor_54990/

BD has made 2 different versions of the Ion.

1st version: 1 oz. 1/2 watt, high and low setting. Uses a 6v battery

2nd version: 1.7 oz. uses 2 AAA batteries, dialable from 4 to 80 lumens.

I really liked the 1 oz version but the 6v battery puts people off because it's not something you're going to find at the corner gas station.

I'd carry one of these 2 lights if the weight was that big of a deal to me but I'd definitely have a headlamp.

Personally I'm going to bring my Petzl e+lite for reading in my tent, trips to the privvy during the night, etc. but not for any real night hiking. 24g / 0.8oz. There have been a couple of different versions with the same name, so if you tried one years ago they are now brighter.

Then as the nights get longer I'll probably want to hike an hour or two in the dark to make up the miles, so I'll swap it out for a brighter & heavier Zebralight, along with warmer clothes in a maildrop. Zebralight H32 is 65g / 2.3 oz.

If you already wear a hat or a visor, why not this one?

http://www.panthervision.com/powerca...-product1.html

There is even low-level lighting and high-level lighting, green or red lighting low-level lighting optional.

The standard watch batteries keep warm inside the inner hat band.

It is cold batteries that cause headlamps or flashlights to dim or go out entirely, on fresh batteries.
    Last edited by Connie; 03-06-2015 at 10:31.

http://smile.amazon.com/FENIX-E01GSB...6DF0YA721CXX6H

I switched to a headlamp /handheld combo as I enjoy night hiking. This is the handheld I've been using and been pretty happy with. It's enough to pick your way in an emergency situation.

That said, as the others have said, having the option is nice. Specially for you on a thru when it gets hot and flat in the middle and some afternoon naps and evening strolls may be in order.

The photon is good for finding your real flashlight IMO, I don't bring them anymore. I'd cut those and drop down to a AAA handheld if I wanted to pare it down tight and light.

While it is true that you do develop a bit of night vision- your trail toes are more important really. Having a decent handheld (or beam headlamp) to navigate becomes the more useful bulb. I've found that if I mount my headlamp on my hipbelt that a cheap flood light is enough to see what i'm doing or set up camp so something like a tikka and the above fenix may prove sufficient for you.

For full night hiking I bring a full headlamp though.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    BD has made 2 different versions of the Ion.

1st version: 1 oz. 1/2 watt, high and low setting. Uses a 6v battery

2nd version: 1.7 oz. uses 2 AAA batteries, dialable from 4 to 80 lumens.

I really liked the 1 oz version but the 6v battery puts people off because it's not something you're going to find at the corner gas station.

I'd carry one of these 2 lights if the weight was that big of a deal to me but I'd definitely have a headlamp.
    You made me weigh my 2nd version BD headlight. Yep. Weighed 1.7 oz. I lost 1st version somehow.

I like my headlamp to have the red LED light option to it. I can use it at night w/o waking up my tent or shelter-mate(s). I use the red light just long enough to get away from other people & then use the white light to find a place to pee.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++