WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Osprey Exos raincover or not

Hey looking for some advice. I just picked up an Osprey Exos 58 I'm gonna be using in 30 days to hike GA to PA. I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend the additional money on a raincover for the pack or not. I'm obviously lining inside with a trasbag and everything inside will be in waterproof stuff sacks... So I'm wondering.... Do u use a raincover on your pack? If so... Do u use a name brand? Or do u use a cheapo knockoff. ?

I started out with a Sea to Summit cover for my Exos but switched to an Osprey when I got to Pearisburg because it fit better. I use a trash can liner but I like to keep the other stuff in the outside pockets and pack as dry as possible.
    More walking, less talking.

For me, the only thing I can't get wet is my sleeping bag, clothes, and some small electronics – all of those go in a dry bag. Everything else is unharmed by water.

Since you already have two precautions against water (garbage bag liner, and dry bags inside that), unless you're really worried about the little bit of extra weight a wet pack weighs (form soaking up water), I wouldn't worry about it.

What size did u go with? Medium?

Im really torn. I want to make extra sure nothing gets wet... But dont want another 4 to 5 oz. I wanna be as light as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by adamussg View Post
    Im really torn. I want to make extra sure nothing gets wet... But dont want another 4 to 5 oz. I wanna be as light as possible.
    I feel the same way, but I purchased the cover and carry it with me. I have not had to use it yet though!

On my Osprey Exos I use a compactor trash bag liner and a pack cover. For me, its worth the slight weight penalty. I have a small tent and often hang my pack on a tree outside of my tent and can use the pack cover to keep the pack dry.

I've been using the Exos 58 for several years. I also use a hammock about half the time. I use dry bags inside the pack for my quilt and spare clothes. I use a Jacks R Better Gear Hammock for my pack cover. It is big and baggy but the cords around the perimeter tighten snugly around the pack. I don't feel it is extra weight because it has so many other uses.

I've always found this a curious subject ... I see lots of hikers with covers ... I've never used one, never will ... if my pack isn't waterproof, I will either re-waterproof it, or get new pack. Of course I keep crucial stuff in waterproof bags inside as backup (and for packing/unpacking in camp, but I expect my pack to be a waterproof bag to begin with.

My Exos is a large. I used a medium pack cover. I have been backpacking for 40 years and have always used a raincover. Have yet to find a pack that is waterproof.
    More walking, less talking.

Journal Entries

for 4 or 5 oz's I think a pack cover will give you peace of mind.
    eveready

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    My Exos is a large. I used a medium pack cover. I have been backpacking for 40 years and have always used a raincover. Have yet to find a pack that is waterproof.
    As I said ... I find the subject a curious subject ... some of my best friends from the first time I set foot on the trail over 45 years ago, swear by covers ... I think if you have a good waterproof pack, and pack it correctly, it becomes a matter of personal preference and what makes you "comfortable". WHICH is my best advise about pretty much everything on the trail ... figure out what works for you, and stick with it right up until you find something that works for you better ; ) Happy Hiking and Stay Safe!!!

For what its worth, I will use a garbage bag liner for "this can't think about getting wet" stuff. For a rain cover, the pack has its own and have an aftermarket rain cover (REI) for my Osprey pack. The aftermarket cover I selected is a little larger than the pack when its full, to cover various things I will strap or hang on the outside pack like a DSLR camera. The slightly oversized cover gets that and other gear under protection. Weight penalty is 2.7 ounces. Even in a real frog strangler rain I have not had any problems.

Images

If my pack cover weighs more than 2 oz, I would be astonished. To me it's a no-brainer to take it along.

Images

I don't see what the point of having a rain cover is. If you use a liner and put everything you want to keep dry in there I don't see what good it does. Maybe it keeps the pack from getting saturated and weighing more but it can't be that much more weight than the rain cover.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    I don't see what the point of having a rain cover is. If you use a liner and put everything you want to keep dry in there I don't see what good it does. Maybe it keeps the pack from getting saturated and weighing more but it can't be that much more weight than the rain cover.
    The point of having a cover for me is not limited to merely keeping the pack dry(er). The bigger benefit for me is less condensation. You see I have a single wall tent (TarpTent sub-lite Sil) and I bring my pack "inside" with me.

Take the dripping cover off with the pack in the vestibule and bring a much dryer pack in. Then I will usually lay the cover wet side down on the wet ground. So for me it is a multipurpose item, well worth is weight.

Journal Entries

I would go with the pack cover.... especially this time of year with cooler temps. If its overkill bringing along a pack cover so be it. Its added protection in keeping you dry, your clothes and bag dry and it can help keep your back dry from dew and condensation when not in use.

Add me to the list of people that don't see the point. I've tried using them occasionally over the years and found them a complete waste of time. The pack itself is (or should be) largely water repellent. Inside that, protect the few things that actually need to stay dry. That's probably only your sleeping bag and a couple of small items like a change of clothes, cell phone, etc. It's just one more thing to carry and fool with that you don't really need.

The only issues I have with pack covers are that they only cover the pack body and not the belt or straps. Enter the Packa or that or set up that is similar to the packa( the name escapes me at the moment) if you dont mind the actual pack getting soaked( and it will soak up the water) then the lining and dry bags will suffice. I personally don't like my pack to get soaked mainly due to weight but also it is just uncomfortable when the belt and straps are soaked and that padding will take a while to dry out. Of course my pack has no padding g on it except for the shoulder straps so I don't worry about it. Compactor bag is good for me.

I believe you should not carry a pack cover but just line it instead unless you know for 100% that it is going to rain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++