WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sea to Summit sacks

eVent or Ultra-Sil, which one should I get? What is a good size for a weight conscious backpacker? I was thinking 10L. Thank you.

What are you going to use it for? Clothes? Food? How long will your trip be?

Quilt and clothes. This year 8 days, next year, hopefully longer!

Personally I use both at times ... but mostly the ultra-sil because of weight. The eVent is good when you need a compression bag that is lighter than the ones with straps. It is helpful to understand that the reason there are so many choices is because each person's packing "style" varies so much that it is really only by experimentation that you will find your style. Since I try to go as light as possible I always decide on the bags to use based on the least weight while still offering easy packing, and appropriate water-proofing. But, weight might not be your primary concern. I hope in some way that helps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    Quilt and clothes. This year 8 days, next year, hopefully longer!
    I use ultra-sil. One for each, size would depend on how many/type of clothes and size/type of quilt.

I just purchased a few 13L sea to summit stuff sacks...one for my mummy bag/down jacket, one for food, and one for the rest of my clothes. I would recommend going a bit larger because the weight difference is super minuscule and you can aways roll down the bags to a smaller size if you don't occupy 100% of the bag's space. If you PM me, I can tell you a super secret way to get a good deal on sea to summit stuff sacks.

Ultra-sil nylon would get my vote. FYI - I own both.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryjohnson09 View Post
    If you PM me, I can tell you a super secret way to get a good deal on sea to summit stuff sacks.
    Thanks!!!!

glad to hear it worked for you!

I have a bunch of Sea to Summit sacks various sizes I'll give you a good deal on. Many not even used. I learned (after purchasing them all) that all I really needed was one for food bag and one for sleeping bag (because I'm paranoid), and one for a pack liner.
    I am however moving to cuben fiber this year and saving ounces. One for pack liner, one for food bag, and (because I'm still paranoid) one for sleeping bag, one for clothes. All four of these together weigh less than the STS bag sack I used to use.

I would also check out the Nano Sil dry bags – they're much lighter than the Ultra Sil ones. The 20 liter is a mere 1.31 ounces (I use a 20L and an 8L to fit all y stuff). I don't see myself using the Nano Sil bags on my kayak trips (especially for anything that's strapped on top of the kayak), but when protected inside my pack for the majority of it's use I think these would be great for backpacking and will save some weight.

++ New Posts ++