WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I got a Montbell Thermal blanket. It's a lightweight down sleeping bag liner that I open up and use as a quilt in the warmer months. It weighs around 14 ounces and cost about $180 new. Quilts or items like I have aint cheap but do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    check out the mhw phantom 45, fantastic bag, found mine on sale for 200, 1lb 4 oz actual for long, EN rated at 40 if I recall.
    This bag, sorry.

This version claims "breathable"... http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com...etm-bivvy.html Comes in at 5.5oz.

I found this because I'm looking into using my hammock top quilt along with my inerita x-frame in a ground-dwelling situation. Thought it would be a viable option rather than lying on my underquilt (and not crushing down). The plan would be to lay on top of my x-frame inside the bivy, then use my top quilt over the bivy.

Questioning two things - one the actual breathability, and also the notorious crinkling of the mylar blankets. Does anyone have any experience with this product???
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I purchased one, in fact I purchased each development from that brand name because they make a really good effort.

If really cold you still need to keep it from contact heat loss: this means something between you and it.

If not really cold, you will get your clothing wet with sweat. I did.

That said, it is breatheable. It is not very "crinkly".

I would say, test it with a MAX-MIN thermometer. Find out "really cold" and "not really cold".

By that means, you will know the "reasonably" useable temperature range.

It is not meant as a bivouac. It is for survival.

Survival is uncomfortable, but, you are alive.

That's it.

Thanks for your FB Connie.

The 'sweat' part is what I'm worried about. I'm wondering if I just used it as a 'sleeve' to slip my sleeping pad into, then laid on top of both, if that would help keep my bottom side warm (while covered with my down top quilt). I'm not at all concerned about keeping warm with the top quilt, it's the losing of the heat out the bottom that I'm trying to keep from happening. I don't want to lay on top of my bottom quilt or I'd just bring that along. Hoping to find an inexpensive, lightweight option.

I've also used Insultex (as an add-on to my underquilt). I may fashion up a 'sleeve' using that.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Quote Originally Posted by wamodr01 View Post
    Thank you all for chiming in, maybe this is not such a viable sleep system. Does anyone have recommendations for an lightweight (1.5lbs or less) for a 40-50* bag?
    Check out Enlightened Equipment. There are other cottage makers, as well. I have a 30* quilt, weighs 20oz, paid around $200. Looks like the 40* is now going for $215, 50* is $200. In 40-50* weather you dont need a hood. I've taken my 30* quilt down to 24*.
    http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

wamodr01
    Don't overlook used bags.
    Often you can get a very high quality bag and in new or close to condition simply because it did not fit someone else's needs or not wanted in the first place.
    One of my Western Mountaineering bags was from a guy that bought it with bonus points just to have something he could get some cash back.
    Saved me well over a 3rd and yes it was new.

Definitely look at used bags. If they're in good condition, they can be a fantastic value. I paid around $170 for my WM Summerlite and it looked like it was brand new.

Journal Entries

Staying warm at night is critical, but saving weight is almost as important.
    Not really. Sleeping good is important to feeling good.

Thank you all for chiming in, maybe this is not such a viable sleep system. Does anyone have recommendations for an lightweight (1.5lbs or less) for a 40-50* bag?
    I've used my Z-pack 30 degree bag down to about 25 F with some mid weight merino tops and bottoms on and a wool hat. Nice and cozy. The bag weighs about 16 oz.

I didn't read the whole thread just the OP, but In an attempt to not freeze last year I got one of these mylar bags to go over my 15*, its like sleeping in a damn trash bag. I threw that crap away and got a 5* Antelope and downmat 7. So far so warm.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Staying warm at night is critical, but saving weight is almost as important.
    Check your priorities - I'd think more people died of hypothermia than from carrying an extra pound.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not really. Sleeping good is important to feeling good.
    Agree,

I see no comparison between having a heavier pack, and freezing to death BUT!! My pack was light lol

Here is my issue with the whole "Cutting weight is critical" issue. I believe there is in fact an importance to keep a pack under a certain weight. But that weight is dependent on the users experience, weight, and strength. Im 218 pounds and a quick walker with a 12 lbs pack. who isn't? But im not really THAT much slower with a 24lbs pack. But man you put ANOTHER 12 lbs and get upwards of 40 lbs?! it becomes miserable. So for me, about 24 lbs is my cutoff.

Saying that, This is my big 4 for winter(being much heavier then summer):
    Antelope 5* 45 oz
    Downmat7 38.8 oz
    Hilleberg Anjan 74 oz
    ula circuit 47 oz
    Total apx 12 lbs.

That leaves me plenty of room for other got to have items like food etc.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Have you checked out Enlightened Equipment? As others have posted, a quilt might be the way to go for you: http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

EE is now offering a full length zipper, if that suits you.

Thank you for the link Karl, but Im looking at sleep systems that are around 1lb.
    Are you sure you mean "systems"?

A system includes bag/quilt, sleep mat (air or CCF), perhaps an inflatable pillow, and — if you're really interested in cutting even more weight — clothing that can be worn while sleeping.

I use a 20°F-rated EE Enigma down to 0°F, and occasionally a few degrees colder. Yes, that's a +20°F quilt. However, I bought the quilt in the long/wide size so that I could wear all my layers under it, including an Eddie Bauer down parka and Montbell down pants. For an air mat I use a Neoair Trekker torso/wide (47" x 25") with a full-length 1/4" CCF pad on top. My backpack goes under my legs, also under the CCF pad. And I use an Exped UL pillow, medium. I tried a bunch of different things and made many quick overnight trips to the local woods in winter while tweaking this system.

The weight of the quilt, pads and pillow is 2.82 lbs, which for 0°F is hard to beat.

However, in your temperature range (40-50°F), for starters I'd definitely look at an EE Revelation 40, which with 800FP in reg/reg size weighs 14.1 oz, costs $220. I have a Rev 50 that weighs 11.3 oz with 850FP Downtek.

But a 1lb system is not really feasible unless you get a Rev 50 like mine and use only a thin CCF pad.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Are you sure you mean "systems"?

A system includes bag/quilt, sleep mat (air or CCF), perhaps an inflatable pillow, and — if you're really interested in cutting even more weight — clothing that can be worn while sleeping.

I use a 20°F-rated EE Enigma down to 0°F, and occasionally a few degrees colder. Yes, that's a +20°F quilt. However, I bought the quilt in the long/wide size so that I could wear all my layers under it, including an Eddie Bauer down parka and Montbell down pants. For an air mat I use a Neoair Trekker torso/wide (47" x 25") with a full-length 1/4" CCF pad on top. My backpack goes under my legs, also under the CCF pad. And I use an Exped UL pillow, medium. I tried a bunch of different things and made many quick overnight trips to the local woods in winter while tweaking this system.

The weight of the quilt, pads and pillow is 2.82 lbs, which for 0°F is hard to beat.

However, in your temperature range (40-50°F), for starters I'd definitely look at an EE Revelation 40, which with 800FP in reg/reg size weighs 14.1 oz, costs $220. I have a Rev 50 that weighs 11.3 oz with 850FP Downtek.

But a 1lb system is not really feasible unless you get a Rev 50 like mine and use only a thin CCF pad.
    Nice find on the short, wide NeoAir. Is it very noisy? I have the BA Q-Core SL in 25x78x3.5. It's a beautiful thing, but shaving 8 ounces would be very nice. I also have a EE 20 Revelation and a RevX 30. Will the Thermarest pad extend to the area on the quilts where the snaps begin, sorry too lazy to pull mine out of storage.

You didn't mention head coverings, I just ordered the Hoodlum over their Black Friday sale. It's still being manufactured, but should be here in a couple of weeks

Yep, the elastic/snaps are perfectly located, and in fact I have another strap that I employ when using the CCF with the air mat to further secure it... it wraps around only the air mat and CCF.

I use the hood on my parka, and combined with my winter fleece hat my head stays warm.

The photo below depicts my set-up, which is pictured with the TR Solite which I originally tested. However, it was heavier than desired so I tested with the 1/4" CCF and found it to be totally adequate at a little less than half the weight. If it were seriously below zero, I'd use the Solite and a 0°F quilt. IIRC, on this trip the low temp was about +3°F and this set-up was completely toasty. (Again, also in combination with the down parka and down pants.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-11-2015 at 14:16.

Nice setup, I will wait for my REI dividend and their 20% coupon to get the NeoAir. I think the X-lite is the one that's so noisy. I am a rotisserie sleeper so a quieter pad is necessary.

Pretty good system if you can go below zero with a quilt.

Sorry, I forgot to answer the noise issue. The trekker material is definitely quieter than the x-lite (which I also have used a fair amount). However, the noise of materials (such as the Tyvek bathtub ground sheet also shown in the photo, and the Exped pillow) doesn't bother me, and like you I am also a toss-n-turny sleeper. What bothers me about the x-lites is that my elbows wouldn't fit, and the small one would squirt out from under me all night, which I found extremely annoying. Thankfully I can use the trekker year 'round, which really simplifies things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++