WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand View Post
    I don't think you tried that hard, lol.

I did meet people who went shelterless on the LT. I don't think it's as irresponsible as everyone makes it seems. The OP has thru-hiked twice so it's not like he doesn't know what he is getting into. There is risk associated with it... If a shelter is closed for repair or it's just full, you might end up hiking through the night or just being really uncomfortable.

It's not for me. There are to many cheap and light weight solutions to justify not at least taking a tarp... but HYOH and good luck.
    Well....you may be right. But when you attack half of the foundation that made me the man I am today (the other half being my parents), I'm bound to get a little animated. If a 67 year old woman who has nothing to do with BSA and wants to troll an amazing community like WB, then I really just feel sorry for her.

As for the OP, if you're reading this, you made me laugh with your post. Have a dancing banana

If you live long enough, you may become a man.

In this thread, the people here were saying the OP is a troll for posting the topic.

I am not a troll: I have participated in this forum since 2004, more than 10 years.

My posts are helpful. My website is helpful.

My mother was a den mother, four brothers in Boy Scouts.

I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout.

The Girl Scouts did not teach "lore".

I stated my experience, ridiculed here.

For all your bluster, have you ever saved a life? I have.

Did you ever participate in a search and a rescue? I have.

I said, I think a bivy is minimum.

I think a bivy with a tarp is a better minimum.

I practically never carry a tent. I used to but I like a bivy and a tarp better than an enclosed tent.

Tents do provide more privacy, where there are so many people.

The tarp-tents, however, are very practical and no excuse for not carrying one except the price perhaps.
    Last edited by Connie; 03-21-2015 at 02:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    If you live long enough, you may become a man.

In this thread, the people here were saying the OP is a troll for posting the topic.

I am not a troll: I have participated in this forum since 2004, more than 10 years.

My posts are helpful. My website is helpful.

My mother was a den mother, four brothers in Boy Scouts.

I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout.

The Girl Scouts did not teach "lore".

I stated my experience, ridiculed here.

For all your bluster, have you ever saved a life? I have.

Did you ever participate in a search and a rescue? I have.

I said, I think a bivy is minimum.

I think a bivy with a tarp is a better minimum.

I practically never carry a tent. I used to but I like a bivy and a tarp better than an enclosed tent.

Tents do provide more privacy, where there are so many people.

The tarp-tents, however, are very practical and no excuse for not carrying one except the price perhaps.

At this point, you're literally too stupid to insult. But I'll humor everyone else, at your expense of course.

First line: No comment, I've already answered your personal attack with one of my own, read the above line if you've forgotten already.
    Second and third line: Length of time on WB doesn't mean you're a contributing part of the community, it means you thrive living behind a computer screen instead of being outside. Now that, I truly pity you for.
    Fourth line: Unfortunately, you're entitled to your opinion so I'll just leave that one be.
    Fifth line: Den mothers are with Cub Scouts, they excel in arts and crafts and picking their noses. It was good of you to volunteer your time to help with these activities. As for your brothers, YOU were not in the BSA so therefore your experience is grossly incompetent.
    Sixth line: This has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation and lends nothing to your "credibility." The same credibility that you continue to destroy post by post. Seriously, ask yourself if anyone believes a thing you say anymore on this forum, and for your own sake, please don't lie to yourself as you lie to us.
    Seventh line: I wouldn't know, I don't choose to bash organizations that I have never participated in.
    Eighth and ninth line: No, I have never saved a life, but I have had one die on me when I was 17 years old. Heart attack with 80% blockage to his heart in the middle of the Cumberland Caverns. 20 minutes of CPR didn't do a thing for him and having to take a dead body off a backboard to bend him around curves and jagged rocks isn't something I ever want to do again BUT if I'm called upon then I won't hesitate. I don't look to people to think I'm a hero by bragging about the things I've been through such as yourself. So don't you dare judge me or anyone else on this forum when you don't know a damn thing about us and what we've been through personally.

The rest actually has to do with the OP so no need to comment on it.

Don't even bother responding, I refuse to waste anymore of my time on you.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jberretta7 View Post
    At this point, you're literally too stupid to insult. But I'll humor everyone else, at your expense of course.

First line: No comment, I've already answered your personal attack with one of my own, read the above line if you've forgotten already.
    Second and third line: Length of time on WB doesn't mean you're a contributing part of the community, it means you thrive living behind a computer screen instead of being outside. Now that, I truly pity you for.

Don't even bother responding, I refuse to waste anymore of my time on you.
    Honestly that was just rude. I have been on this Forum for a few years now and Connie's insight is always helpful and appreciated. She has a well run website and really knows what she is talking about.
    You can disagree with her stance on the BSA, but don't be rude. As I watch a child argue with an adult women I can honestly tell you, you have done nothing to win supporters for the BSA. Perhaps listening and learning from a person with years of experience would have gone further in advancing your opinions.

Geez, are you folks STILL harping and sniping each other on this thread? Mods, PLEASE close this waste of electrons down quickly!

Maybe some of you should actually get out to the actual outdoors, and actually do an actual distance hike!

..... and may your miles on the trail with your backpack always exceed your post count!

tarpless/tentless; Haven't you figured out by now that it's a stupid thing to do, and likely flat out dangerous. Other people are not obliged to bail you out of bad decisions. Why are we still talking about this???

For years I carried a military poncho as a shelter. When pitched close to the ground, using 550 cord and a couple of bungees it worked well. I also had a separate rain jacket, Now I carry a one man tent, which is pretty light (around 2 lbs.).

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    ... Why are we still talking about this???
    The purpose of original post was to create conversation and debate. It has been successful in that purpose beyond the original question posed. Are ye not entertained?

This thread is what the sport of bulletin-board jousting was meant to be. Look away if you must. Let the jousting continue! Huzah!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    The purpose of original post was to create conversation and debate. It has been successful in that purpose beyond the original question posed. Are ye not entertained?

This thread is what the sport of bulletin-board jousting was meant to be. Look away if you must. Let the jousting continue! Huzah!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqJFIJ5lLs

I quit posting when I saw my opinions meant nothing (not saying they should be, based on my age and alleged expertise), I got no answers to my ( I thought) reasonable questions on unsubstantiated claims and the OP's question was pretty well answered.

Still, it's been pretty entertaining.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I got no answers to my ( I thought) reasonable questions on unsubstantiated claims and the OP's question was pretty well answered.

Still, it's been pretty entertaining.
    Yeah, your questions were blatantly ignored. Sorry about that - I was hoping to hear the answers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Old hiker thanks for the link. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post

I do not speak for those that created this site or for those that "entertain". They do so well enough without my ignorant opinion. I am here to learn from those with more knowledge and impart to those with less. But, that is just me. To each their own. If this thread teaches anything, it should teach those prepared for the trail to be prepared to sleep away from potential jousts and closer to the trail. I will offer an opinion too. I wish the shelters were all gone. That would eliminate these debates and remove the people from the trail that fight over them.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Booshay View Post
    No need for a tent, a bunch of indoor campers on this site... you can easily build a shelter every night.
    LNT is a foreign concept to you, isn't it
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Ah, ha ha late March I don't think so. Don't be shtupid ala light!

hypothermia kills!!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I do not speak for those that created this site or for those that "entertain". They do so well enough without my ignorant opinion. I am here to learn from those with more knowledge and impart to those with less. But, that is just me. To each their own. If this thread teaches anything, it should teach those prepared for the trail to be prepared to sleep away from potential jousts and closer to the trail. I will offer an opinion too. I wish the shelters were all gone. That would eliminate these debates and remove the people from the trail that fight over them.
    Very well stated, but I disagree with the shelter statement. I think the shelters are great for one reason. They concentrate the folks who know nothing about LNT in one place. I think we should encourage folks to sleep in them and maybe natural selection will take its course.

This was the best spent 40 minutes of my life. Came onto this thread expecting maybe 10 responses saying don't go shelterless and I find approximately 80 responses sniping either BSA or each other! This was all very hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had Hypothermia I can say its not worth it.
    You will eventually get wet and cold.

You can die in relatively mild temps if wet for long enough, like 55dF.

Invest in and carry 12oz worth of Zpacks gear like a cuben tarp and a bivy.

Safer still is combine that with hydrophobic down gear or Climashield insulated gear.

Don't even consider it man, be smart. Shelters will be full all the way to Maine and you don't want to be that guy begging someone to give up their spot because you came unprepared.
    AT2015 GA-ME

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++