WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana Bear canister...please help

Can't make-up my mind whether to carry a bear spray canister or not on my thru. All comments welcome. Start in May from Harper's ferry.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Can't make-up my mind whether to carry a bear spray canister or not on my thru. All comments welcome. Start in May from Harper's ferry.
    Bear canister: I wouldn't. I bought one because I was tired of hanging. As it turns out, I would now rather hang a bag than hump the canister around.
    Bear spray canister: I wouldn't.

I think he's asking about bear spray, not a food storage canister. In my opinion, bear spray is totally unnecessary as a measure against black bears.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

Yep, I found the thread title and the verbiage of the question a little confusing, as "spray" is only used in the body of the question and not in the title. So, I handled both possibilities. It's the curse of being a software programmer- very detail-oriented. I completely agree with you Coffee. I've never even *seen* bear spray on the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb No matter what you're asking

If you're asking if you need to carry bear spray on the A.T., the answer is absolutely no.

If you're asking if you need to carry a bear-proof canister for your food on the A.T., the answer is also no, but not as absolutely.

Bear-proof food storage is rarely REQUIRED on the A.T., but it's always a good idea.
    The fewer bears that learn "human" equals "easy food," the better it is for everyone -- most especially the bears!
    Preventing this association can be done in several ways; including hanging, the Ursack{R}, or a bear-proof canister.
    Almost nobody uses the last idea on the A.T., simply due to weight and cost concerns.
    But, if you've already got one and want to continue to use it, nobody would complain.

Note that black bears of the East are FAR less of a concern than the grizzly bears of the West.

Feel free to buy a bear can one and you might as well set aside postage to send it home at the end of the first week or leave it in a hiker box. Same thing with bear spray. If habituated bears are an issue, the maintaining club has installed a cable or bear box. If not learn to hang but you wont get much practice as its not generally needed.

No spray needed.

Because I will be hiking the Georgia section next month I researched and found this.
    I personally don't want the extra weight but don't want to skirt the regulations either. It's a rule for a reason.

Bear canisters seasonally required for camping between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap

A new U.S. Forest Service rule requires approved bear-resistant storage containers for overnight camping on a 5-mile stretch of the A.T. in the Chattahoochee National Forest between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap, between March 1 and June 1 each year. This stretch is located between points 26.7 and 31.7 miles north of the southern terminus of the A.T. at Springer Moutain, Georgia, and includes Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek Campsite, and Blood Mountain Shelter. “Bear canisters” should be used to store food, food containers, garbage and toiletries. For more information, call the Chattahoochee - Oconee National Forest at (770) 297-3000.

Images

It is easy enough to avoid camping in that short stretch and hence no need to even consider the canister.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Like Steelcut said, it's easy to avoid camping in that area.

It's not a long jaunt to just cruise on past the area, which serves the cause much better than having tantalizing food around in a canister anyway, IMO.

Journal Entries

Nothing wrong with a bear cannister for peace of mind if it makes you feel better. Its also probably the best thing you can do to protect bears. Very few carry them on AT. Weight isnt issue, just leave behind you other useless crap you are probably going to take.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Nothing wrong with a bear cannister for peace of mind if it makes you feel better. Its also probably the best thing you can do to protect bears. Very few carry them on AT. Weight isnt issue, just leave behind you other useless crap you are probably going to take.
    Agreed.... And bear canisters are dual purpose as they make for a handy little chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I think he's asking about bear spray, not a food storage canister. In my opinion, bear spray is totally unnecessary as a measure against black bears.
    +1
    Do not need bear spray unless in Grizzly Country (eg. Glacier National Park)
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

I carried a 1 oz. Bear Spray, more for people than bears. I was hiking from Aug. - Nov., lots of alone time and space. Peace of mind item.... But not necessary.

I've never had a problem with bears, only time I had a close encounter was in Alaska. But we both frightened each other, and went separate ways.

Images

I hate hanging and I don't want to carry the weight, so I just purchased an Ursack!

I'm pumped, I haven't bought a new piece of gear in a few years so I can't wait to play with it.
    It's peace of mind with bears, but for me, it's all about the mice!

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip:1955271
    I carried a 1 oz. Bear Spray, more for people than bears. I was hiking from Aug. - Nov., lots of alone time and space. Peace of mind item.... But not necessary.
    . In some states, using bear grade pepper spray on a person is illegal.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    . In some states, using bear grade pepper spray on a person is illegal.
    I've carried bear spray on the AT before, and for much the same reason. The way I figure, if it really comes down to a situation in which I feel like I need to use that stuff to protect myself or someone else from a human, I'll take my chances with the law.

In many locations out west, carrying bear spray is a no brainier. Out east, you don't need it. I don't know that I'll bring any with me when I go hiking this year -- probably not -- but I've done it before.

It comes down to this:
    1) You don't need it on the AT.
    2) It really doesn't weigh that much.
    3) In the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY event that you do need it, not wanting to carry the weight will feel like a feeble excuse.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by August W. View Post
    Agreed.... And bear canisters are dual purpose as they make for a handy little chair.
    If hiking with someone else, two bear canisters can make an excellent setup for backwoods laundry -- not that that's needed very often on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post
    If hiking with someone else, two bear canisters can make an excellent setup for backwoods laundry -- not that that's needed very often on the AT.
    Never thought of that.... I like it. Bear canisters are also fun to decorate with stickers from places you have lugged the darn things. And a bit of reflective tape is handy for locating the canister in the dark. They are priceless when needed but it's one piece of gear that I don't mind leaving at home when it isn't absolutely needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++