WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Section Hiking the Great Smoky Mountains

Hi everyone!

I'm planning a trip to section hike part of the AT and would like some advise from experienced members.

• I have 11 days off and plan to be on the trail for 5~7 days total at the end of June.

• Do I need to apply for a permit to hike through the Great Smoky Mountains during this time?

• What route would you suggest for this many days?

• Can I drop off a rental car at the start and get a drive back from the end of the trip? Is this the common way to do it?

• Are warm cloths required?

• What is the #1 item you think people forget to bring that is really useful on the trail?

This is my first post so I would like to thank you for your time you took answering my questions. This will be my first time hiking part of the AT and i'm really excited to get the time off to do it. I'd love to Thru-Hike the trail in the future but at this point in my life the option has not presented itself to me.

GSMNP is one of the most visited areas that the AT travels through.

The southern section is inacessible by car once you leave Fontana Dam.

You must sleep in the designated shelters.

I would advise going and doing SNP instead. It's much more accessible along its length to get on and off. The terrain is easier but very pretty and most people would enjoy it more than the smokies.

To your first question, if you're not an AT thru-hiker, you'll need to get a permit for the specific shelter/campsite you'll be at each night on the GSMNP website. IIRC, it's $4 a night for those. On the AT itself there are no campsites, but you can use side trails to access those each night if you prefer. There is no dispersed camping in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    GSMNP is one of the most visited areas that the AT travels through.

The southern section is inacessible by car once you leave Fontana Dam.

You must sleep in the designated shelters.

I would advise going and doing SNP instead. It's much more accessible along its length to get on and off. The terrain is easier but very pretty and most people would enjoy it more than the smokies.
    What is SNP? Does this trail still have a lot of "wow factor"?

Shenandoah National Park in VA.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    To your first question, if you're not an AT thru-hiker, you'll need to get a permit for the specific shelter/campsite you'll be at each night on the GSMNP website.
    Actually if you're a long distant hiker starting or ending 50 miles outside the park is where shelter reservations are not required. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. The AT does not have specific rules for "thru-hikers" since no one is a thru-hiker until they've complete the trail.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Without a lot "opinions" on my part about hiking in the GSMNP...... I, however, would suggest NOT Hiking in GSMNP as a first hike. Permits, required shelter use and the crowds for me way out-weight my hiker enjoyment. The permit system alone makes for additional complications and possible forced marches from shelter to shelter. (Not my thing) The "wow factor" for me was the visit into Gatlinburg! Wow - what an "Interesting" and Overwhelming place! What ever you choose, have a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Actually if you're a long distant hiker starting or ending 50 miles outside the park is where shelter reservations are not required. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. The AT does not have specific rules for "thru-hikers" since no one is a thru-hiker until they've complete the trail.
    Correct, though we're both referring to the same thing - GSMNP uses the thru-hiker permit for anyone travelling 50 miles on either end of the park specifically via the AT. It sounds like that wouldn't apply to the OP.

AT Thru-Hiker Backcountry Permit Regulations
    Last edited by CalebJ; 03-18-2015 at 13:49.

MJ - I live on the edge of the park and have been hiking the Smokies for about 30 years now and IMHO June is a pretty good month up in the high country along the state line. If it were my 10-11 days, I'd leave out of Cades Cove and head up to Gregory Bald on the Forge Creek Trail (virgin forest and great campsites both partway up and on the summit + Gregory Bald has a world famous azalea garden in flower in mid-June); then I'd hike the connector trail over to the AT and follow the AT north (with an overnight side trip to Mt Leconte - amazing sunset and sunrise); once you get to Tricorner Knob shelter, take the Balsam Mountain trail out to Laurel Gap Shelter and next day travel down Gunter Fork tr. past the cascades (highest in the park) to Big Creek - one of the best swimming holes in the world is on Big Creek and would make a really nice place to exit your hike. This route will give you a nice variety of ecosystems and experiences while keeping you at higher elevations (where the temps will be lower). Best of luck.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Correct, though we're both referring to the same thing - GSMNP uses the thru-hiker permit for anyone travelling 50 miles on either end of the park specifically via the AT. It sounds like that wouldn't apply to the OP.

AT Thru-Hiker Backcountry Permit Regulations
    Agreed. Sorry, I was coming down on you, I was just making sure it wasn't confusing to others reading this because when the term "thru-hikers" is used a lot people think they can or can't do certain things on the trail because they aren't "thru-hikers". When in reality a hiker is a hiker with only a few exceptions in sections of the trail such as the Smokies reservation system that is determined by distance.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    MJ - I live on the edge of the park and have been hiking the Smokies for about 30 years now and IMHO June is a pretty good month up in the high country along the state line. If it were my 10-11 days, I'd leave out of Cades Cove and head up to Gregory Bald on the Forge Creek Trail (virgin forest and great campsites both partway up and on the summit + Gregory Bald has a world famous azalea garden in flower in mid-June); then I'd hike the connector trail over to the AT and follow the AT north (with an overnight side trip to Mt Leconte - amazing sunset and sunrise); once you get to Tricorner Knob shelter, take the Balsam Mountain trail out to Laurel Gap Shelter and next day travel down Gunter Fork tr. past the cascades (highest in the park) to Big Creek - one of the best swimming holes in the world is on Big Creek and would make a really nice place to exit your hike. This route will give you a nice variety of ecosystems and experiences while keeping you at higher elevations (where the temps will be lower). Best of luck.
    Thanks a bunch for your insight, full conditions. How many days do you think this would take to complete? I'm from FL so I have to take the drive into consideration as well as maybe a day or so buffer to get ready to dive back into things.

NOTE: I'd really like to stick with the smokies if possible. The idea of staying overnight in a shelter really doesn't bother me as much as other people. I'm a people person anyways.

Journal Entries

Mr. Jiff,
    Since you're driving up, you can leave a car at one end, get a shuttle to the other end, and pick up your car when you leave. Be aware, the shuttle cost will be expensive. Look up the section hiker page on www.appalachiantrail.org and find the link to parking and shuttles. Contact one of the names and ask for a price. If money isn't an issue, you could start at Newfound Gap in the middle of the park and hike one-half, then shuttle back to Newfound Gap for the other half. There's a steep climb at each end of the park; doing two down-hill halves makes them much easier if you're not used to hills.
    Yes, you have to get a permit and reservation for each shelter you'll be using, but the thru-hiker crowd is gone by late June, so it shouldn't be impossible to get a reasonable itinerary. Reservations can't be made more than 30 days in advance. Visit the park website and learn the rules so you aren't surprised later.
    I wouldn't expect to be cold hiking the Smokies in late June, but I would have long pants/sleeves and a light jacket at the least. Mornings will be cool, and a passing thunderstorm can cool things down a lot also.
    The AT is the most heavily traveled route through the park, but you could also work out a loop so you don't have to arrange a shuttle. This link goes to a clickable PDF trail map: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...omplete4-2.pdf . If you do something other than the AT, you still have to follow the permit and registration process.
    As far as what people tend to forget - it's usually the opposite problem: people bringing too much stuff. Bring what you need to be safe, comfortable, fed, etc, but minimize the weight. Carrying a heavy pack up the mountain will kill your vacation quicker than anything.

This is a tough hike for your first major backpacking trip. The first 8 miles in basically uphill. The rewards of the trip are pretty amazing, awesome views, awesome wildlife possibilities, and a chance to meet new friends. The thru-hiker bubble will have passed by late June. Always be prepared for cooler temps in the Smokies. Most of your hike will be above 5000ft. Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap (I-40) can be done in 5-7 days. It's approximately 75 miles. I've done this section before and I'm hiking Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap (1/2 way) with my 13 year old daughter next week. You must stay in the shelters and make reservations. Plan on booking (online) a month in advance. I wouldn't want to say what the shuttle back to Fontana Dam will cost. Be prepared to spend $200. It is close to 200 miles by road for your driver. Call Curtis at Standing Bear Farm/Hostel 423-608-0149. He's just across the interstate at Davenport Gap and knows the area as well as anyone. One item: Don't forget ear plugs for the shelters

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    According to ATC a thru hiker includes a hiker attempting a thru hike, so they are a thru hiker till they don't reach Katahdin (or their terminus) or quit. It is the attempt of the thru hike that starts it and failure that ends it.

Also it is not the reason that GSMNP did it but it needed a reasonable (legal) definition of a thru hiker, and one who may have difficulty of reserving specific shelters for specific days and settled on the 50 mile definition.

Images

Curtis is no longer with us but the hostel may still run shuttle...

Or try the hike inn which is near Fontana and will do shuttles...

i did it with them about 6 years ago and it was 125 for one person

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrJiff View Post

• Do I need to apply for a permit to hike through the Great Smoky Mountains during this time?

Technically, no, you only need a permit for sleeping at night at a backcountry shelter or campsite. You can sleep during the day permit free, and you can walk thru the day and night without one. I have met some that have chosen to hike at night and sleep during the day to avoid the permit system. As a former Ridgerunner for this park I was told directly by my supervisor that that is allowed.

Journal Entries

Hi everyone!

I'm planning a trip to section hike part of the AT and would like some advise from experienced members.

• I have 11 days off and plan to be on the trail for 5~7 days total at the end of June.

• What route would you suggest for this many days?

• Can I drop off a rental car at the start and get a drive back from the end of the trip? Is this the common way to do it?

• Are warm cloths required?

• What is the #1 item you think people forget to bring that is really useful on the trail?

This is my first post so I would like to thank you for your time you took answering my questions. This will be my first time hiking part of the AT and i'm really excited to get the time off to do it. I'd love to Thru-Hike the trail in the future but at this point in my life the option has not presented itself to me.
    7 days is an average pace thru the AT on the smokies for normal hikers. Shelters are spaced to permit this.
    Id just park at big creek ranger station, and get a shuttle to Fontana, and start walking with 7 days food.
    Paying for leaving a rental car sitting a week is ......painful.
    You need some warm clothes. Lows in 40s possible at highest elevation.
    Yes, you need reservations in the shelters, so you have to plan your hike, and hike your plan.
    Make reservations 30day in advance, as soon as possible. Its not crowded, because shelter space is limited. 12 per shelter basically.
    You must stay abreast of water situation, and shelter situations. Water issues gets posted at trailheads. Shelters can get closed due to problem bear issues, and your reservations can be moved , sometimes WAY off the trail to a campsite several miles out of your way, and downhill. Just have to roll with it if it occurs.

Thanks a bunch for your insight, full conditions. How many days do you think this would take to complete? I'm from FL so I have to take the drive into consideration as well as maybe a day or so buffer to get ready to dive back into things.

NOTE: I'd really like to stick with the smokies if possible. The idea of staying overnight in a shelter really doesn't bother me as much as other people. I'm a people person anyways.
    The trip I described (minus the side trip to Mt LeConte) can be comfortably done in 7 nights 8 days - 1st night on gregory bald at campsite 13 then subsequent nights at AT shelters until the turn off for the Balsam Mountain Trail. Last day I'd hike the 10 miles out via Gunter Fork and Big Creek - all down hill + a world class swimming hole near the end to cool off in. A couple other bits of advice (since you asked), I'd do everything in my power to skip Icewater Spring Shelter and push on to Pecks Corner Shelter and do consider a night at Mt Collins instead of Double Springs Gap Shelter. The AT thru the Smokies does get a lot of use - its high and wild and exquisitely beautiful. And remember, the permit system keeps the numbers down to a dull roar.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Thanks everyone for all the information provided. I will plan accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Technically, no, you only need a permit for sleeping at night at a backcountry shelter or campsite. You can sleep during the day permit free, and you can walk thru the day and night without one. I have met some that have chosen to hike at night and sleep during the day to avoid the permit system. As a former Ridgerunner for this park I was told directly by my supervisor that that is allowed.
    This just a way to avoid buying a permit. Do the right thing and get on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++