WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Travel time from Dalton GA to parking area at Springer?

Likely be staying at Dalton, GA for the evening prior to a 110 mile section hike from Springer to Franklin. Looks like best way to get there is to go thru Ellijay, GA, then travelling 52 to Roy/Tabor/Piney Spur Road (one of those) and then to Doublehead Gap Rd. Then on up FS42.

Curious as to travel time from Dalton to the parking area at Springer, and also an suggestions for improvement to my route. Thanks.

I'd stick to your route and it's about an hour and a half, maybe two hours.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Good to know as this is my exact planned route on 4/16 for my thru hike start.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Looking to arrive on 5/11.

Roy Road to Doublehead Gap Rd to FS 42-3 is the best option. On google maps, it looks like other roads might be shorter than Roy road, but it is the largest road in the area and is actually fairly direct. Plus there is a good convenience store where Roy Rd. turns off of GA 52 for the last minute stash of Mtn Dew, Snickers and Slim Jims.

An hour and a half should get you to Springer. Enjoy your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by glenlawson View Post
    Roy Road to Doublehead Gap Rd to FS 42-3 is the best option. On google maps, it looks like other roads might be shorter than Roy road, but it is the largest road in the area and is actually fairly direct. Plus there is a good convenience store where Roy Rd. turns off of GA 52 for the last minute stash of Mtn Dew, Snickers and Slim Jims.
    Good information! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    An hour and a half should get you to Springer. Enjoy your hike.
    Thank you for the time estimate.

What is the general overall condition of FS42 in mid-May? We will likely be dropped off in a sedan, as I really don't want the expense of driving a 4x4 truck that gets 15mpg at best all the way from Illinois.

FS42 is very well maintained and driving a sedan should not be a problem. Just take it easy.

I'll give an example for the quality of the road, a couple of years ago my son and some friends were section hiking some of the AT and Benton MacKaye trail. After 3 solid days of rain, they decided to pull out at Three Forks. There were 5 of them so I was coming to get them in our minivan. I would have come up Winding Stair Gap road to cross FS 42, but it can be kind of iffy in rain. So I came around to Roy Road and up Doublehead Gap road to Three Forks. There were a couple of slick spots but even after 3 days of rain, it was no problem in the minivan.

You will have no problem on this road. Especially in May.

Quote Originally Posted by glenlawson View Post
    I'll give an example for the quality of the road, a couple of years ago my son and some friends were section hiking some of the AT and Benton MacKaye trail. After 3 solid days of rain, they decided to pull out at Three Forks. There were 5 of them so I was coming to get them in our minivan. I would have come up Winding Stair Gap road to cross FS 42, but it can be kind of iffy in rain. So I came around to Roy Road and up Doublehead Gap road to Three Forks. There were a couple of slick spots but even after 3 days of rain, it was no problem in the minivan.

You will have no problem on this road. Especially in May.
    Thanks Glen, and all !

This FSR is so well maintained that when I saw the condition of some of the other FSRs I've seen since, I couldn't believe it! Really, FSR 42 is like the someone's private driveway.

++ New Posts ++