Default looking for SOBO ladies for a creative project

hello all!

i'll be starting my mostly-solo sobo hike july 9th. en route, i'm hoping to do some photo documenting and writing along the way: a blend of personal and physical geography, if you will. with a focus on the women of the trail, i'm wondering if i will be crossing paths with many of you? a friend of mine recommended starting in june if this was my goal; another said don't start until august. does anyone have any opinions on this?

definitely drop me a line as if you are intrigued -- would love to chat further.

thanks much!

robin

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi Robin,
    I am planning on starting a SoBo thru sometime between 01-04July. If you start in June, you are much more likely to run into swarms of black flies that are just about the only insect on the AT more irritating than gnats. They swarm and they BITE! I would recommend that you have a headnet for Maine, and use (min 20%) Picaridin rather than DEET. Late in June may work, but I think anytime after 01July is much better. A start in August is surely going to mean finishing well into December, when weather in GA and NC can get uncomfortable.

TicTac

hi tictac!

thanks for the advice! i'm not sure how fast these feet will carry me, but i anticipate finishing early december. curious to see how many other sobos we run into at this time -- i feel like i've seen a lot of talk leaving in late july/august? do you know if this is typical?

robin

Robinkm - I did a bit of a southbound hike a fews years ago. I SOBOed all of Maine. I started on July 3rd and had great weather for the hike - after the June rains and black flies and long enough after the snow melts that the river crossings weren't too bad. The snow melt will be a big factor this year with the record amounts of snow piled up in the New England states. Had a couple of really cool nights (I recommend a sleeping bag a bit warmer that a 40 degree, and definitely take a jacket!). I met a lot of other people SOBOing (many of them women and I am still great friends with one of them) and there were always plenty of other people on the AT. By this I mean lots of boy scouts and teenage out reach groups. They were all great and very helpful people. I had a wonderful time. I will be doing a flip-flop hike this year starting in Virginia and heading north, so maybe I'll see you in New Hampshire before I flip. Hope you have a great hike! And don't worry about Georgia in December - the weather here doesn't get really cold until late January or February. Plenty of nice days until then.

Robinkm

I'm starting 16 July SOBO. I'm hoping for good weather and no black flies. Hope to see you out there. Good luck with photo documentation.

We are doing a "girls week" starting July 28th from Clingmans dome to Hot springs! Hope to pass you at some point!

Robin,
    I think girls week from Clingman's dome to Hot springs will be way south of where I'll be the last week in July. If you're moving NOBO, I'll see you at some point. Happy trails.

As a SOBO, you will meet all the woman NOBO hikers, of which I meet quite a few while I was going SOBO through VA recently. Going SOBO is the only way you will meet any significant number of woman hikers. Otherwise it would be just the few (if any) who happen to be heading out the same time you are.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hi Robin,

I don't have plans finalized yet but am also tentatively thinking of starting SOBO around the first or second week of July. It seems like a pretty typical time for south bounders to begin. Anything later and I worry about hitting weather in the smokies. Have you finalized a start date yet?
    Hope to see you out there, your project sounds very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by KeysChick View Post
    We are doing a "girls week" starting July 28th from Clingmans dome to Hot springs! Hope to pass you at some point!
    Ah, that sounds great! It looks like I'll sadly miss you all though, as my start date is now July 13th -- I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Hi Robin,

I don't have plans finalized yet but am also tentatively thinking of starting SOBO around the first or second week of July. It seems like a pretty typical time for south bounders to begin. Anything later and I worry about hitting weather in the smokies. Have you finalized a start date yet?
    Hope to see you out there, your project sounds very interesting!
    Just finalized it the other day -- looks like I'll be hitting Katahdin July 13th. Have you nailed yours down yet?

I'll be section hiking through the Maine July 31-August 2nd!!

++ New Posts ++