Default hello ladies of the AT

I need some advice from any experienced ladies that have hiked the trail solo. I'm planning on starting my hike the last week of April and doing a 5 day section hike. I want to do about 60 miles ending in Unicoi gap and that includes the approach trail. I'm not an experienced hiker but I have hiked before. I'm 41 and in reasonably okay shape but this is my is my first overnight hiking experience. Is 60ish miles doable in 5 days? I want to do as much of the trail as I can so if the approach trail isn't very worth it should I skip it and have a shuttle take me to the parking lot nearest the beginning of the trail? Any advice would be great. Thanks so much!

I don't think this is a gender specific question. I've met a lot of woman who are real strong hikers and a lot who weren't. Same goes for men.

60 miles in 5 days = 12 miles per day average. Of course that means some days are longer and some are shorter. It takes most hikers 3 days to get to Neel gap, whether they do the approach trail or not, but it may make a difference as to when you get there. If it's a short day to Neel you can go farther after a short break, if it's late you might want to stay at the hostel. Then you only have another 20 miles or so to Unicoi, which can be done in 2 days either way, the only real difference being when you get there, early or late.

Anyway, there's a good chance you can do it and if your running slower you can bail out at Woody gap instead.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

As this is a first time out overnight experience, 60 miles in 5 days might be pushing it. How far can you walk with a full pack at home? Are you walking at least a few miles every day? Have you practiced camping in the backyard so you can set your tent up and sleep in unpleasant weather? These are all things I did before my first solo hike.

Section Hiker

I'm 42 and have completed GA in the past 2 summers. I think 10-12 miles per day is doable but you must be disciplined, have the right footwear, socks, pack and supplies for you, and go into it knowing the climbs, and some of the descents, will be a lot of work. It's usually better to plan to start out 8-10 miles per day especially if this is your first backpacking trip.

Discipline: Get up and out of camp and get hiking. Spending too much time in camp in the morning is a time sucker. That time is better spent having some nice breaks during the day to take off your shoes/socks and get off your feet. And make sure you break enough, eat enough and drink enough. Unless your feet are howling, don't quit too early each day.

Socks/shoes: Hopefully you have a good relationship with your footwear already! It sucks to get out there and find you are getting blisters. Prevention is your first line of defense, and carry some Leukotape for known problem spots/hot spots. Carry 2-3 pair of socks and change them throughout the day.

Pack/supplies: Make sure you have a pack that fits properly and carried well with YOUR stuff in it. Keep as light as possible without jeopardizing your safety.

Sight seeing: If you're disciplined and get on the trail early and don't quit to early every day, it leaves you time for sight seeing. There are so many cool things to see along the trail, especially the views. If it's a nice day, plan to spend an hour having lunch/snack, resting and chatting with other hikers atop Blood Mountain. Don't forget to take pictures along the way!

I didn't find hte climbs in GA to be as tough as many people purport them to be, but I went into it expecting them to be pretty rough. Hiking up mountains with a full pack is a learning experience. Go as slow as you need to, but work to make consistent progress. Hauling ass and stopping to much drains your energy as well as your morale.

If you want to maximize your time on the AT, I would skip the Approach Trail. It's a tough climb, for one, and that's one day you won't be on the AT.

Here are my trail vids if you're interested (Springer to Cooper Gap is missing, did that with my 10 year old in 2013):
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4...JgIFjm8kl5Dncw

Hope this helps, sorry if it's too much!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

There are a lot of basic logistical issues that usually slow down new backpackers. Just finding stuff in their packs takes forever. They usually take multiple hours to pack up and get ready to leave in the morning. They forget things. And lose things. And bring lots of stuff they don't end up using.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your plan. It's a reasonable distance and very friendly terrain. But a five-day trip as your first overnighter is quite ambitious. It would be a really good idea if you can snatch a couple of days before that trip to do a one-night trip. See if you can make 8 or 10 miles, camp, and do the same thing again the next day. You will probably learn a few things that will make your 5-day trip much more successful and enjoyable.

If you don't have time to do that before your trip, doing at least a couple of 10-mile day hikes carrying your pack would be a test of your fitness and ability to carry what you've chosen to bring. Spending at least one night in your tent; using your stove; testing out all the pieces of your gear is incredibly valuable.

Best of luck to you!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Great advise so far! I think you should be able to handle 8-12 miles a day starting out - if you have limited backpacking IN THE MOUNTAINS experience. I say it this way because people from flat-lander Michigan have no clue. It takes hiking in the mountains to understand the elevation challenges AND the rock issues in some areas!

Is it possible ? Yes... But I would say take it slow and enjoy the environment, spend a few hours on Springer, spend most of a day at Neals Gap, spend an afternoon or night at Justice Cheek ( I really like it). To me, and im not trying to be disrespectful at all, but 95% of the actual trail isn't that impressive. To me what make the AT special is the People, Places and history.... don't miss out on part of the experience because you are rushing

thank you so much everyone!! that was incredibly helpful. I think you all are right I will take it easy and maybe not set a goal at all and just see how far I can get while enjoying the beauty of the trail as I go. I'm so excited!!

I would recommend that you plan on finishing at Neel's Gap. Day 1 - Approach trail to Springer Shelter. Day 2 - Springer to Hawk Mtn Shelter (if you go past Hawk Mtn shelter, you will have to at least stop and get all the water you can carry - there will be no more water until Justus Creek). Day 3 - Hawk Mtn to Justus Creek (yes, Justus Creek - Gooch shelter will be so gross after the hiker crowds have blown through and filled the privy and if the shelter is full, there is no good camping spots there. Justus Creek is beautiful!) Day 4 - Justus Creek to Woody Gap or Lance Creek tent platforms (if you go past Lance Creek, you will have to carry a bear canister for your food). Day 5 - Woody Gap to Neels Gap. I live near the AT in Georgia and have hiked this section many times. This is a reasonable beginner itinerary that will leave with with plenty of energy at the end of the day and time to be social with other hikers. No sense in pushing so hard you make yourself miserable - go slow and learn to love hiking!

thanks again for all you help! this forum is awesome!!!

Journal Entries

Cool great specifics Hiker Faith!

I would love to try a 3-4 day hike too and these details are very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker Faith View Post
    I would recommend that you plan on finishing at Neel's Gap. Day 1 - Approach trail to Springer Shelter. Day 2 - Springer to Hawk Mtn Shelter (if you go past Hawk Mtn shelter, you will have to at least stop and get all the water you can carry - there will be no more water until Justus Creek). Day 3 - Hawk Mtn to Justus Creek (yes, Justus Creek - Gooch shelter will be so gross after the hiker crowds have blown through and filled the privy and if the shelter is full, there is no good camping spots there. Justus Creek is beautiful!) Day 4 - Justus Creek to Woody Gap or Lance Creek tent platforms (if you go past Lance Creek, you will have to carry a bear canister for your food). Day 5 - Woody Gap to Neels Gap. I live near the AT in Georgia and have hiked this section many times. This is a reasonable beginner itinerary that will leave with with plenty of energy at the end of the day and time to be social with other hikers. No sense in pushing so hard you make yourself miserable - go slow and learn to love hiking!

Hi, I just finished the approach trail to Springer, left at Springer because of pack weight and bad weather. I want to start at Springer and continue on to NC. I would love someone to hike with but I won't be doing 12 miles a day. More like 8 to ten. Making the shelter sites a goal. I not fast or slow, but wan't to enjoy the journey so not in a hurry. I can start the 27-28 or later. I live in Blue Ridge, Ga not far from the Springer Parking area.
    Let me know if you are interested.

just a follow up to my original post. I finished my hike and too most of the advice that people gave me. I didn't do the approach trail and I don't regret it. I just wanted to get started and be on the AT for the most time that I could. I agree with slbirdned that the climbs are not as hard as everyone says. I did blood mountain in 1 1/2 hours and I wasn't even tired. the way down I was careful but I was still pretty spry by the time I got to Neels gap. unfortunately I decided to move on an pushed too hard and wound up camping at tensatee gap because I was exhausted and it was about to rain. it was a MISERABLE experience lemme tell you. but all in all I LOVED it and plan on doing some weekend section hikes this summer near where I live. I averaged about 7 miles a day and that was not pushing myself and enjoying the walk. And the best part is I'm not a newbie anymore YAY!

Hi sandy

i live very close to you in Harrison city pa. Although you posted awhile back in 2011 I'm curious to net work with others that are like minded. I've only been doing long day hiking on the LHHT. Very interested in backpacking and eventually shooting to section hike the AT.

Journal Entries

@DebMo. I'm considering a 5 day/6 from Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro, PA in mid/late July email me if you want to discuss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++