WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ULA Circuit VS Gregory Baltoro

I have both these packs. The Gregory has been "stripped" of it excess components (lid, etc.). The thing about the Gregory is that it really transfers weight well and has a great waist strap. For a pack weight of 25 pounds - does anybody think it might be easier to carry the heavier Gregory rather than the lighter ULA ?'

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I own both a Circuit and an older Baltoro 70 and wouldn't personally swap out the Circuit in favor of the Baltoro for a 25lb load since weight advantage and the simplicity of the Circuit are just too great. However now that I think about it, I'm not sure what weight exactly I would recommend the change. Thinking about it I would probably consider using the Baltoro instead if the load was reaching somewhere between 30 and 35lbs. I usually use the Circuit by default for 3 season hiking and reserve the baltoro for winter, so I've never loaded the Circuit above 35lbs for any length of time.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Well if you have both, why not try both and just use which one you like better? Either pack should handle a 25lb load well. Which one is more comfortable on you? Me, personally, like the way the circuit is setup.

however this is an ul forum and both of those packs are just a tad on the heavier side. I have a 17oz pack that handles 25#lbs well. I'm usually not above twenty though.

I have a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian - a little lighter than the Baltoro but similar in nature. I only use it when I need to carry extra weight (ie, late fall to very early spring). My ULA Ohm is my go-to for all else (and I am almost always under 23 lbs). I will say, though, that the heavier packs (GG and Gregory) have wonderful suspensions, and if that is important, there are ways to shave off a lot of weight from the Baltoro. I've gotten my GG down to 3 lbs, could even go a little lighter if I was desperate.

But your Circuit will work just fine.

My Circuit carries 25 lb. just fine. I have an older Gregory pack (Forrester) that carries like a dream, but it weighs a lot more (over 4 lb., if memory serves) so it generally gets left at home these days.

Images

I just got back a couple weeks ago from hiking N.J. with my Circuit. Scale weighted at 30 lbs with five days food and two liters of water. Didn't know the pack was there except for maybe rattlesnake mtn were you have to really climb up or down.

This is apples and oranges. The Circuit is a through hiking pack while the Gregory is more mainstream. Better to compare the Circuit with a GG Mariposa and the Gregory with an Osprey Atmos.

++ New Posts ++